Author Topic: About Custom Tags & Automation  (Read 3084 times)

themusicalmind

Hello dear community,

I recently started using MB and it's the best player so far. However I have a question concerning custom tags, which I use a lot.

Basically I have a custom tag that I'd like to take its information from a file's tag, for example the Title. Is there a way I can do this in the Tab "Tags (2)" when I click Edit on the song? I know Virtual Tags can do this by just putting <Title> for example, but is there a way to do it with custom tags?

If this doesn't work, is there a way I can programmatically loop all my files and set custom tags somehow (Not asking for code samples, I would know how to do this)? Is there a powershell or VBS interface or a MusicBee scripting console that I can use to do a foreach-loop and set properties?

greetings,
mm
Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:50:20 AM by themusicalmind

Zak

• Global Moderator
Hello dear community,

I recently started using MB and it's the best player so far. However I have a question concerning custom tags, which I use a lot.

Basically I have a custom tag that I'd like to take its information from a file's tag, for example the Title. Is there a way I can do this in the Tab "Tags (2)" when I click Edit on the song? I know Virtual Tags can do this by just putting <Title> for example, but is there a way to do it with custom tags?
Hello. There's no way for a custom tag to refer to another tag. I also can't think why you would need to, since that is what virtual tags are for.

If this doesn't work, is there a way I can programmatically loop all my files and set custom tags somehow (Not asking for code samples, I would know how to do this)? Is there a powershell or VBS interface or a MusicBee scripting console that I can use to do a foreach-loop and set properties?
I'm afraid you're out of luck here too. MusicBee doesn't support any kind of programmatic scripting like that, although it would be an awesome addition.

Outside MusicBee, even finding command line tools that can reliably edit metadata isn't easy - believe me, I've looked - so for mass tagging your best option is to use mp3Tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ - which although not a proper scripted environment, does support logical operators, regular expressions etc. that should suffice for most tasks.

If you give a more specific example of what you're trying to achieve you should get more helpful replies or alternative suggestions.
Bee excellent to each other...

redwing

You could use Additional Tagging Tools plugin for that: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.0
After setting up "TOY: copy tag command" preset to copy a specific tag to the custom tag, auto-apply it by ticking the box before the preset. You could also modify any other presets editing its regex, or set up to auto-copy a virtual tag to a custom tag.

themusicalmind

Woah great, the "Copy Tag" function in the plugin works great, exactly what I needed! Thanks.