Author Topic: Volume normalization (ReplayGain) data in library file instead of tags?  (Read 3736 times)

theG

Like many others, I spend a lot of time tagging my files properly and I don't like applications that write tags to my files. It would be nice if the data was stored in the library file, like iTunes does.

I'm in charge of the computer they use for music in a pub in the town where I live and I've recently bought a new PC for them and installed MusicBee instead of iTunes. I have to make it "bar staff proof" as much as possible and it's a hell of a job. That's why all the music files are read only, and because of that, I can't use MusicBee's volume normalization. Staff have been complaining since, because some songs are louder than others and they have to run to the computer to adjust the volume all the time.

I have discovered MusicBee about a month ago and started using it at home instead of Foobar2000, but then again, I don't want any application to alter my tags. It's really the only thing that's missing for me to make sure I'll stick with MusicBee; ReplayGain data in library file.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For the pub, why don't you just run the normalization and then make the files read-only?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

theG

Because I add files every few days. I can't change permissions every time I do so.
And we use Traktor Pro as well, and iTunes (in case MusicBee starts acting up), which are using the same files. Altering files is not a good idea since other programs depend on these files.
Also, they are FLAC files, 3TB of it. If the drive fails, I have to use a backup, which don't have the ReplayGain tags. I have two drives like that, perfectly tagged. I would need to swap the drive with an identical copy of what was on the failed one.

MusicBee works perfectly without altering files and using it's own library. I don't see why everything's working using the library, except this. I feel it has been left out.

Steven

• Administrator
another possibility is to use the Lock Down mode, which if you search the forum there is a command line switch to start MB that way

theG

I've used that command at first but people still need to create playlists and add songs to playlists. I don't mind them messing up the UI and playlists, it's easy to backup and recover, but altering music files is a totally different story.
I have spent the last 10 years or so building up my music library, making sure there are no typos in tags, no unwanted tags, etc.. I would like to keep it the way it is, for many reasons. ;)

Edit: /OpenMainPlayerLocked is the command you're talking about.. I was going to request another one to start MusicBee in fullscreen (/FullScreen ?), because /OpenMainPlayerLocked doesn't fullscreen.
Actually, it'd be nice to have more control over what's locked and what's not. And the possibility to have a master password for settings. A real Kiosk mode.
Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:32:12 PM by theG

hiccup

It seems you know very well what you are doing and how you want to do that, so I fully respect your wish, and hope it might be addressed. (even though the timing might not be the best considering focus and work being done on ironing out bugs and flaws for future release of v3)

Wouldn't it be a good alternative option to run volume analysis on your whole 'master' library, and from then on immediately on every new track and album you add to your library?
Then you will also have the confidence and convenience that all music that you relay to the 'jukeboxes' have the correct loudness level tags integrated to begin with.

nirolf

This would be a really important feature to have, I'm trying to switch Media Monkey, but this issue is one of the show-stoppers for me.