Author Topic: "The" at the end of tracks' name  (Read 8455 times)

ThY

Hello, i have the 2.5.5491 version, but i had also the problem with 2.4 version:
My tracks beginning with the word "The" are cut, and "The" is put at the end of the track's name after a comma.
It doesn't happen on the main panel or on the now playing list, but everywhere else.

Example: "The Heart of Atlantis" -> "Heart of Atlantis, The"

I can't find the option to avoid that.
Any idea ?

Thanks !

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Where is "everywhere else"?  In any case, it means that you're either applying the $Sort function somewhere or using the Sort Title custom tag (which you would have had to configure).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ThY

It's displayed in compact mode, in the taskbar, in the playing track panel, in the progress bar.

The problem indeed comes from this:

I use this custom field for the titles' tag display:
$IsNull(<Titre (Traduction)>,<Title>,<Titre (Traduction)>)

<Titre (Traduction)> = <Title (Translation)> and is a custom tag

I have some artists with track titles in foreign alphabet, like japanese or russian ones.
I keep the original ones in the "track title" field, and put translation with the classical latin alphabet in the custom tag field.
The formula above check if something appears in the custom tag field, if it does, this tag is displayed instead of the track title one.

When i replace the formula with the default tag <Title>, the problem disappears, but my translation custom tag doesn't work anymore of course.
How can i keep the same kind of formula and avoid this "The" problem ?

As you can notice it in the screenshots, i use the same formula for Artist Name and Album Name, and this "The" put at the end, only affects the song title.

Pingaware

Check your custom tag settings. I know you've renamed the tag name, but have you changed the tag it's being saved to from a Sort tag?
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

ThY

Check your custom tag settings. I know you've renamed the tag name, but have you changed the tag it's being saved to from a Sort tag?

I'm not sure if i understood right, but my custom tag for the title is saved in the file as "Title Sort-Order" tag.
Is that not good ? Why and what should i do ?

Zak

• Global Moderator
Hello, i have the 2.5.5491 version, but i had also the problem with 2.4 version:
My tracks beginning with the word "The" are cut, and "The" is put at the end of the track's name after a comma.
It doesn't happen on the main panel or on the now playing list, but everywhere else.

Example: "The Heart of Atlantis" -> "Heart of Atlantis, The"

I can't find the option to avoid that.
Any idea ?

Thanks !
Also check your Preferences. There is an option there - under Tags (2) I think - to specify words and characters to ignore when sorting tracks. I would have thought using a virtual tag would have prevented the sorting from working though, as described in this thread:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12960.0
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure if i understood right, but my custom tag for the title is saved in the file as "Title Sort-Order" tag.
Is that not good ? Why and what should i do ?

This is probably what's causing your problem.  All the "Sort-Order" tags apply $Sort to the standard tag (although now that I think about it, if you've defined a value it shouldn't be applied to that value - check that these didn't have a value entered by another program, like Picard or MP3tag).  Or just use a different tag, or create your own (click "Define new tag...")
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ThY

Thanks for your answers !

I tried to change the "Title Sort-Order" tag, but the field for that custom tag in my songs became empty.
I thought it had deleted all my tags, so i changed it back, and hopefully things have only been moved to another place, but i don't know where.

Then i don't know how creating a new tag works. There are several fields (id3 (.mp3), vorbis, apeV2, ...) What am i supposed to put there ?
Same thing for virtual tags, i just put my formula in the first line (Virtual1), but nothing changed, i don't know what to do with that  ???

Doesn't it exist a way to alternate my formula to get rid of this "Sort" thing ? Rather than play with the tags ?

redwing

Probably your custom tag values were all gone when you changed the frame for the tag to something else. Looks like no one has warned you about it (@Steven: consider popping up a warning dialog when the user attempts to change a custom tag frame to prevent this kind of disasters. I've seen such reports several times).
Because of the emptied custom tag values, your virtual tag is not working as you expected. You will need to re-enter tag values for the tag (assuming it's now set to use a frame other than Title Sort-Order) one by one unless you can restore a backup of your library.

ThY

In the end i lost nothing, i changed it back to "Title Sort-Order" and everything was like before.
But i would like to not have to change the frame from the custom tag, because i will have to re-enter tag values for every of my tracks one by one, like you said :/

Well now my custom tag value is like before, how does the virtual tags work ?
Is it possible to change the formula instead of playing with the tags ?

redwing

Didn't know about that trick!

Anyway, you could copy the tag values to another custom tag and then copy them back after you change the frame for the tag. For this, you will need Additional tagging tools plugin.

If you want to manage with virtual tags, it could be unnecessarily complicated depending on your "ignore words" list. If only "The" matters, then try this formula:

$IsNull(<Titre (Traduction)>,<Title>,$If($Right(<Titre (Traduction)>,5)=", The","The "$RSplit(<Titre (Traduction)>,",",2),<Titre (Traduction)>))

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You know, one option here is to leave everything as it is, but simply reenter the track title in the Title Sort-Order field in cases where this is a problem.  If it is manually entered in the field, MB will not attempt to move "the" to the end.

This is a more labor-intensive solution in the long run, but very straightforward to implement..
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Pingaware

Anyway, you could copy the tag values to another custom tag and then copy them back after you change the frame for the tag. For this, you will need Additional tagging tools plugin.

This would undoubtedly be my choice. Best for long term fix.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

ThY

If you want to manage with virtual tags, it could be unnecessarily complicated depending on your "ignore words" list. If only "The" matters, then try this formula:

$IsNull(<Titre (Traduction)>,<Title>,$If($Right(<Titre (Traduction)>,5)=", The","The "$RSplit(<Titre (Traduction)>,",",2),<Titre (Traduction)>))

Many thanks, this formula works perfectly ! It still translates my titles and keeps "The" normally ^^
I don't use any ignore words list, and Musicbee only cut my titles with that beginning word, so that's nice, thank you :)

Thanks to everyone else on this topic ;)

ThY

Still, one question redwing, is it possible to tell the formula to be sensitive to uppercase ?
I have songs where "The" is wrote "THE", and would like to keep it uppercase.