Author Topic: Date Added  (Read 3744 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
What exactly determines how MB sees the date added for a track or album?  It looks to me that it's the file's date created or date modified in the windows system.

I'm asking because today I was cleaning up some tag typos and the tracks that contain the changed tags are now showing as added in the past week.  After today's changes, my 'added in the past x weeks' playlists have ballooned tremendously.  And that is not really the case. 

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

That's the date the track was added to your library first time, and it's stored in MB database only. So it's different from date created and date modified.

phred

• Global Moderator
That's the date the track was added to your library first time, and it's stored in MB database only. So it's different from date created and date modified.
Hmmm ... if that's the case, why did it change when all I did was edit some tags?

I'm looking at the Tag Editor Properties for a track I edited today and the date added is 12/5/14 7:38 PM (today) and the date modified is 12/5/14 6:30 PM.  Whereas in Explorer, the created and modified are the same:  12/5/14 6:30 PM.  This track was added to my library quite some time ago.  At least a year; maybe two.

I would think editing tag values would not (should not) change the date added value.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

The file was not the same file as the one in your library if you look at its creation date. Looks like you made a copy and imported it to the library (and maybe replaced the original with it).

phred

• Global Moderator
The file was not the same file as the one in your library if you look at its creation date. Looks like you made a copy and imported it to the library (and maybe replaced the original with it).
I've been thinking about this since I saw your reply this morning.  I can't say with certainty, but I think you may be on to something.  I save my albums using <Album Artist>)\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>.  In Windows Explorer I noticed that I had two Artist folders for B. B. King.  One spelled B.B. King and one spelled B. B. King.  Using MB I edited the artist tag on the albums.  Specifically changing B.B. King to B. B. King.

I -thought- I then simply dragged (via Explorer) the edited albums to the B. B. King folder and told MB to rescan.  But now I'm thinking maybe I did a Send To Copy Files to Organized Folder.  I can see why the Date Added would have changed if I did the latter.  Would (Should?) it have changed if I did the former?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

Probably not, because drag & drop on the same drive moves, instead of copies, files. If you had dragged or used Folder (Move) command, it wouldn't have happened.

phred

• Global Moderator
If you had dragged or used Folder (Move) command, it wouldn't have happened.
This is the piece I need to remember.  I've always copied, not moved.  Thanks redwing.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki