Author Topic: WiFi Sync?  (Read 11907 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Steven-

Have you ever considered add the ability to sync devices to MB via WiFi?  I searched the forum and found a topic that shows how to do it with a rooted android device.  My android isn't rooted, and it won't be.  I'm just wondering about your thoughts on adding this function.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure you can from MB's end, at least not without an app  on the other end to help the process. I have a new phone that's not rooted, and I've spent hours trying to get Windows to treat it as a drive. With a combination of apps and desktop programs I was able to get it connected by ftp or webdav, but whenever mb tried to scan it, it took AGES.  I gave up when my computer blue-screened during one scan, something it has never done in four years.
Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:35:11 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure you can from MB's end, at least not without an app  on the other end to help the process.
Yeah, I was thinking about this after I posted.  Thinking about the android apps I have that -do- sync with my PC over WiFi and the fact that there are two elements to the process.

I gave up when my computer vote-screened during one scan, something it has never done in four years.
I assume your auto-correction kicked in and changed "blue-screened" to "vote-screened."   :)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I assume your auto-correction kicked in and changed "blue-screened" to "vote-screened."   :)

It certainly did!  And I'd even retyped that two or three times to get it right.  *sigh*  :)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
i dont have any experience with developing Android applications but if a developer reading this is interested then i am happy to add the needed API functions if needed - there is already a storage API that might suffice (see boroda74's open source google play sync plugin for an example or contact me)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm currently experimenting with a two-stage sync using a virtual drive and a program called Cheetah Sync.  I've only run it once but so far I like the results.  MusicBee spends less time tied up with the sync and the phone sync can be scheduled to run on its own so you don't have to mess with it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm currently experimenting with a two-stage sync using a virtual drive and a program called Cheetah Sync.  I've only run it once but so far I like the results.  MusicBee spends less time tied up with the sync and the phone sync can be scheduled to run on its own so you don't have to mess with it.
I too have only tried it once so far.  And not with music, but with photos.  And nice, quick, simple, and WIRELESS, way to back up my phone photos.  I doubt I'll use it with MB as I only sync playlists.  But it's still a great find.  Thanks psychoadept for sharing this.

For anyone else who is interested, you need to download a small file to your windows (or mac) desktop and another app to your android device.  Both are free.  http://www.jrtstudio.com/cheetah-sync-android-wireless-sync
Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:36:48 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
so if i understand correctly, you synch to a virtual drive so you in effect have the complete list of files on the virtual device and then later use this application to synch to the phone from the physical folder where the virtual device files are stored, presumably  comparing files to detect new/ deleted and looking at the file modifcation date/ file size to detect the changed files.

I still hope a developer reading this is willing to build a simple android app and plugin using the MusicBee storage API as it would make the process easier for many people

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would love that, too.  It's almost enough to tempt me into trying my hand at Android development, but I seriously doubt I have the time to figure it all out right now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

klint

Thanks a lot for sharing Cheetah Sync.
Just noticed that the developers are JRTStudio, a bunch of nice guys in Austin Texas who are the authors of Rocket Player, THE best player on Android in my opinion-the best looking visually and in terms of features.
And on a side note, I would love to see MucicBee and Rocket Player integrated more (did anyone say "share playcounts" in both directions - or at least from Android to PC? ;) )

andrew110

How do you have MusicBee sync to a virtual folder/drive?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
How do you have MusicBee sync to a virtual folder/drive?

There are a couple of ways

There are some instructions here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Copy_Lossless_Library_To_Portable_MP3_or_AAC_format
This is the method I use, which takes longer but is more persistent: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5291/how-to-create-a-virtual-hard-drive-in-windows-7/
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

cenver

I think it's worth to reconsider this feature again - since we have MusicBee Remote app already, it could be easier than ever before.

HUGE +1