Author Topic: UPnP/ DLNA device support  (Read 302063 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes.  Whether or not you make attempts, DLNA devices regularly scan to find other DLNA devices on the network.
Which is the reason why if you're running into high CPU usage, you've got to uninstall the plugin. Disabling it won't necessarily stop the bleeding.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
phred - if you have the minute I would love to hear what you mean by playlists and exporting them.  i've never cared about the word "playlist" until i gave up CDs.  now people talk about it and I scratch my head and feel embarassed
If you don't use playlists, ignore what I said about them in relation to SubSonic (SS.) I use them and like to listen to them when I'm away from the desktop and use them in SS. In order for SS to recognize them, they need to be in PLS format. Preferences > Libraray > Playlists > exported playlists > points to a directory on my MusicServer (simply a Win7 PC where I have SS running 24/7.) When a playlist is created or updated, it is exported to the path and format I configured. Note that you must have "automatically export a static copy" enabled in the playlist settings of MB.

Once a day I have SS automatically scan the directories I have designated - the playlists on the Win7 box and the music tracks on my mapped NAS.

Once I'm connected to the SS server, MB is out of the picture. MB is -not- the interface. As for using chromecast, MB, and SS, you'll have to find someone to help you with that. I don't do chrome.

It's helps tremendously to have a static IP for your connection to the outside world. Makes it easier to connect from outside to SS. There are some apps out there that note any change to your dynamic IP and report the change to you. Fortunately for me, my dynamic IP hasn't changed in years.

I hope this is helpful.

MB's Artwork View showing (some of the) albums recently added...

SS's view of recently added albums...

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

IMO, and take this for what it's worth, you should pick an ecosystem that works best for what you're trying to accomplish and completely build it out rather than trying to fit a round peg into the square hole.  Getting these unrelated ecosystems to work effectively in tandem is nearly impossible.

I tried just about every one of the methods you're exploring here to do almost exactly what you're trying to do, and each of them had massive problems that rendered the method unworkable.  You get into "I'm going to run this system with this plugin to accomplish goal a, and then feed into to the system that accomplishes goal b which has its own plugin for the next system down the line that accomplishes goal c," and you have too many possible points of failure and too many hacked together solutions to ever just sit back and listen to music.

I began to lose sight of the fact that the goal was to sit down, relax and listen to music, not run 24 hour tech support on my music listening system.  You seem to be veering into "spending more time managing my system than enjoying my system" territory.

Once I realized that there is no one system that is going to tick all of the boxes, I took stock of what is important to me to get the most out of my music listening, and built it based on MusicBee, which was best at what I wanted to do.  When I want to Chromecast or listen outside the house, I have my listening library synched to my android device because it is what works best for those things, then I have that android device report back the plays to MusicBee.

That's my example.  phred's example is the most workable one for what he wants to do. Each of our systems relies on two systems that are not connected but report information to the other as needed.

musicmahn

Well I shall keep digging and will love to share any findings should they be noteworthy!

This plugin although only tested on two quick occasions did what it was supposed to do so maybe there's enough hope there.  Perhaps on some of the DLNA devices I have I can figure a way to "turn them off" in terms of searching for other devices?

I've got plex running fine - from a listening standpoint everything is great.  I just hate the interface and the idea of always having to use it when browsing my music for playback.
So I'm just trying to push the issue with MB because I really like all that it has to offer with custom layouts.  Strange to me that outputting to these devices is still getting ignored I would think this is where everything is going anyway?

phred

• Global Moderator
This plugin although only tested on two quick occasions did what it was supposed to do so maybe there's enough hope there.  Perhaps on some of the DLNA devices I have I can figure a way to "turn them off" in terms of searching for other devices?
I don't think "two quick occasions" is a valid test. Leave MB open with DLNA enabled for 15-30 minutes and see what happens.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
I am willing to spend some time on the Upnp plugin to debug 2 issues - 100% cpu and high memory usage.
Anyone who can reliably reproduce those issues and willing to run a debug version then let me know

edit:
try this version which might solve the issue:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4vvpxv0m4fs0vb6/mb_Upnp.zip/file
unzip and copy into the Plugins folder
Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:22:05 PM by Steven

jev

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

I use the upnp plugin to stream my music on my audio system through a raspberry pi that runs upmpdcli / mpd. Everything works pretty well except radios. I can play the radio with MB locally on my laptop but as soon as I switch to the upnpn output, I can't get any audio. Any idea?

Thx.

WaltherB

Hi,

Excuse my terrible ignorance... but HOW do I actually play from MusicBee on my PC to my ChromeCast Audio device? Is there some more elaborate documentation somewhere?

I have installed the "UPnP/ DLNA device support" from https://www.getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/11/upnp-dlna-device-support/ in my MusicBee, and I can open the configuration dialogue.

Reading the somewhat "simplified documentation" on the download page: "Supports server mode (enables UPnP devices to browse and play from the MusicBee library) and controller mode (playing from MusicBee to UPnP devices)" I specifically interpret "playing from MusicBee to UPnP devices" as that I should be able to do some kind of "Play To" from my MusicBee on the PC TO my ChromeCast.

But I find no such function? Do I need some app on my phone to browse the MusicBee media library and send/transfer the media to ChromeCast? Or should it be possible to "send" directly from MusicBee to the ChromeCast as I interpret the description?

BR // Walther

frankz

Hi,

Excuse my terrible ignorance... but HOW do I actually play from MusicBee on my PC to my ChromeCast Audio device? Is there some more elaborate documentation somewhere?

I have installed the "UPnP/ DLNA device support" from https://www.getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/11/upnp-dlna-device-support/ in my MusicBee, and I can open the configuration dialogue.

Reading the somewhat "simplified documentation" on the download page: "Supports server mode (enables UPnP devices to browse and play from the MusicBee library) and controller mode (playing from MusicBee to UPnP devices)" I specifically interpret "playing from MusicBee to UPnP devices" as that I should be able to do some kind of "Play To" from my MusicBee on the PC TO my ChromeCast.

But I find no such function? Do I need some app on my phone to browse the MusicBee media library and send/transfer the media to ChromeCast? Or should it be possible to "send" directly from MusicBee to the ChromeCast as I interpret the description?

BR // Walther
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22318.0

Rnkroi

I cant click the buttons at the bottom because the window is not big enough and I cant make it big enough to make the buttons accessible

phred

• Global Moderator
I cant click the buttons at the bottom because the window is not big enough and I cant make it big enough to make the buttons accessible
It sounds like your display might be set to higher than 100%. If that's the case, try setting it to 100% and see if that fixes the issue.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Rnkroi

It sounds like your display might be set to higher than 100%. If that's the case, try setting it to 100% and see if that fixes the issue.

My computer display? I checked and its what its supposed to be, or does MB has its own display settings? if so, where?

phred

• Global Moderator
My computer display? I checked and its what its supposed to be, or does MB has its own display settings? if so, where?
Yes, your monitor display. MB does not have its own display settings. And you stating that your display is "what it's supposed to be" doesn't answer the question. Is the display set for 100%? And if not, reset it to 100% and see if that fixes the issue.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

memoria

I dont understand why this only works from the home network when I have the port forwarding set up. Will this ever change in the future? I'd love to be able to play my musicbee playlists while in the car

olivierdo

hi, i have a network player pioner NP30 and i tried all the different profiles but no one works, very strange 'cos all the another streaming services (foobar, windows stream etc..) works fine..any idea?
Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:34:18 PM by olivierdo