Author Topic: Xbox Music  (Read 31355 times)

Steven

• Administrator
This plugin adds support for Xbox Music to MusicBee. Its mostly focused on the perspective of someone with a local collection who wants to use tools to help discover new music.
Its not intended as a replacement for the Xbox Music Web Player, although i can see reasons why you may want to use MusicBee to play tracks directly from your Xbox Account and I may yet do this. The main reasons for not doing this so far is the API and the rules around using the API dont enable me to implement this in a way thats consistent with the rest of the MusicBee UI. I would pretty much be limited to replicating the same UI as the Xbox Music Web Player.

The main features to date are:
- playback of tracks from the Xbox Music catalog - full stream (AAC 160k quality) with an Xbox Music pass, otherwise 30 second preview of tracks (MP3, 128k)
- Music Explorer which provides searching and filtering to explore artists and tracks, including integration with last.fm and also echonest for track filtering
- Radio Streaming which offers tag based radio streams. Create the station in the Radio node from the Station Directory panel
- enhanced Auto DJ so you can include tracks from a tag based radio stream or a similar artist stream into the play mix
- export playlists (static or auto-playlists) to your Xbox Music account eg. create an auto-playlist based on local files and export the resulting playlist (right click on the playlist in the left navigator/ Send to Xbox Music). MusicBee attempts to lookup the track in the Xbox Music catalog but may not always be able to find a match

I am willing to spend more time improving and enhancing the functionality but will only do so based on feedback

You need MusicBee v2.4 installed, then unzip and replace the existing files with the following:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip
Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:14:58 PM by Steven

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.4.7573 P
- enhanced Auto DJ so you can include tracks from a tag based radio stream or a similar artist stream into the play mix

I've noticed the two other options that were part of the last.fm similar tracks restrictions:
  • restrict selection to artists similar to the seed track only
  • choose artists similar to the preceding track in the playlist (allows more drift)
are not there anymore.

Was this an oversight when re-doing the panel or is it a permanent change?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
its a permanent change where it now effectively combines both options - trying to stick to similar artists to the seed but if/ when not able to that it then uses the most recent track(s) and gets the similar artists to that track

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.4.7573 P
fair enough then
sounds like the best of both options  :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ma_t14

Actually this plugin turned out to be great for previewing albums before deciding whether to download or not. I may even get an xbox music subscription at some point to take full advantage of the rest of its features.
Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:25:34 PM by ma_t14

ProfessorMarvel

I have been waiting for this plugin for a while - thanks so much for including it!!!!

I have noticed that a maximum of 25 tracks are displayed for any album. For some albums (classical, Lord of the Rings, etc.) with multiple discs and many tracks - I can't access them (beyond track 25) from the list in the Music Explorer.

Is there a way to see more (all tracks) - or is this an Xbox rule?

Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
glad someone cares about it!
this should address the issue - unzip and replace the existing MusicBeeXBox.dll file in the musicbee application folder
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5ztv7nvh64i4nj/MusicBeeXBox.zip

ProfessorMarvel

Works well!  Thanks so much!   :)

ferrell

Good Afternoon.

Is there any way you can implement the hability to listen to songs already downloaded from xbox music? Not even WMP can do this... D:

Thanks in advance!

Steven

• Administrator
its not allowed in the API terms and conditions

finch1000

I started using this plugin shortly after it was posted, and it worked great; but I have since updated to the latest beta, and XBox Music no longer appears in the left navigation panel. The plugin is enabled in settings, and I have logged in to my XBox Music Pass. I do not see any other options in settings (i.e, left side bar settings in Layout (1)) to make it appear. Do I need to do a clean install or is there some other option to bring it back?

Thank you!!
Eric

Steven

• Administrator
i was using it the other day so and should be working fine. Ensure you have the "Services" node enabled in the Layout(1) preferences and if thats not it, post a screenshot

finch1000

Hi Steven!

Thank you for the quick response! The Services node is enabled but XBox Music is not displayed. I have included links to screenshots of the main player window and the preferences showing that the XBox Music plugin is enabled. Sorry, I don't know how to insert the images inline.

Thank you!
Eric

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4luybhvw6j7qy8/Main%20Player.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvcnba9r4gkh5u4/Preferences.jpg?dl=0

Steven

• Administrator

finch1000

I'm sorry, Steven! I was apparently having a brain freeze. I thought it actually showed XBox Music in the side panel. Thank you for setting me straight. Also, thank you for creating and supporting such a powerful music manager. There is nothing else close in my opinion.