Author Topic: Xbox Music  (Read 44657 times)

Steven

• Administrator
This plugin adds support for Xbox Music to MusicBee. Its mostly focused on the perspective of someone with a local collection who wants to use tools to help discover new music.
Its not intended as a replacement for the Xbox Music Web Player, although i can see reasons why you may want to use MusicBee to play tracks directly from your Xbox Account and I may yet do this. The main reasons for not doing this so far is the API and the rules around using the API dont enable me to implement this in a way thats consistent with the rest of the MusicBee UI. I would pretty much be limited to replicating the same UI as the Xbox Music Web Player.

The main features to date are:
- playback of tracks from the Xbox Music catalog - full stream (AAC 160k quality) with an Xbox Music pass, otherwise 30 second preview of tracks (MP3, 128k)
- Music Explorer which provides searching and filtering to explore artists and tracks, including integration with last.fm and also echonest for track filtering
- Radio Streaming which offers tag based radio streams. Create the station in the Radio node from the Station Directory panel
- enhanced Auto DJ so you can include tracks from a tag based radio stream or a similar artist stream into the play mix
- export playlists (static or auto-playlists) to your Xbox Music account eg. create an auto-playlist based on local files and export the resulting playlist (right click on the playlist in the left navigator/ Send to Xbox Music). MusicBee attempts to lookup the track in the Xbox Music catalog but may not always be able to find a match

X-Box Music has been closed by Microsoft
Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:49:14 AM by Steven

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
- enhanced Auto DJ so you can include tracks from a tag based radio stream or a similar artist stream into the play mix

I've noticed the two other options that were part of the last.fm similar tracks restrictions:
  • restrict selection to artists similar to the seed track only
  • choose artists similar to the preceding track in the playlist (allows more drift)
are not there anymore.

Was this an oversight when re-doing the panel or is it a permanent change?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
its a permanent change where it now effectively combines both options - trying to stick to similar artists to the seed but if/ when not able to that it then uses the most recent track(s) and gets the similar artists to that track

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
fair enough then
sounds like the best of both options  :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ma_t14

Actually this plugin turned out to be great for previewing albums before deciding whether to download or not. I may even get an xbox music subscription at some point to take full advantage of the rest of its features.
Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:25:34 PM by ma_t14

ProfessorMarvel

I have been waiting for this plugin for a while - thanks so much for including it!!!!

I have noticed that a maximum of 25 tracks are displayed for any album. For some albums (classical, Lord of the Rings, etc.) with multiple discs and many tracks - I can't access them (beyond track 25) from the list in the Music Explorer.

Is there a way to see more (all tracks) - or is this an Xbox rule?

Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
glad someone cares about it!
this should address the issue - unzip and replace the existing MusicBeeXBox.dll file in the musicbee application folder
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5ztv7nvh64i4nj/MusicBeeXBox.zip

ProfessorMarvel

Works well!  Thanks so much!   :)

ferrell

Good Afternoon.

Is there any way you can implement the hability to listen to songs already downloaded from xbox music? Not even WMP can do this... D:

Thanks in advance!

Steven

• Administrator
its not allowed in the API terms and conditions

finch1000

I started using this plugin shortly after it was posted, and it worked great; but I have since updated to the latest beta, and XBox Music no longer appears in the left navigation panel. The plugin is enabled in settings, and I have logged in to my XBox Music Pass. I do not see any other options in settings (i.e, left side bar settings in Layout (1)) to make it appear. Do I need to do a clean install or is there some other option to bring it back?

Thank you!!
Eric

Steven

• Administrator
i was using it the other day so and should be working fine. Ensure you have the "Services" node enabled in the Layout(1) preferences and if thats not it, post a screenshot

finch1000

Hi Steven!

Thank you for the quick response! The Services node is enabled but XBox Music is not displayed. I have included links to screenshots of the main player window and the preferences showing that the XBox Music plugin is enabled. Sorry, I don't know how to insert the images inline.

Thank you!
Eric

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4luybhvw6j7qy8/Main%20Player.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvcnba9r4gkh5u4/Preferences.jpg?dl=0

Steven

• Administrator

finch1000

I'm sorry, Steven! I was apparently having a brain freeze. I thought it actually showed XBox Music in the side panel. Thank you for setting me straight. Also, thank you for creating and supporting such a powerful music manager. There is nothing else close in my opinion.