Author Topic: Compilation Clarification  (Read 10445 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
But you said
for the most of what I'm working on, I have the album artist set.

Then you don't need iTunes compilation tag. It has no effect on grouping.

Each track's year value has no effect on your album grouping as well because you don't have the criterion in your grouping setting.
Thanks redwing (and Anti and scampbll.)  You took away the easy part of my project.  Instead of selecting 200+ 'greatest hits' albums and tagging them as compilations, I now have to find the release year for 760 tracks.  Well, my wife will be happy that I'm upstairs "working" and not bothering her.   :)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

I think I now know why your were concerned about year tag value in relation to album grouping.

In Artwork view, MB splits the same album into two, if some tracks have year tag value while others don't have the tag. This happens when grouped by album with album artist/year/album sort and when grouped by album artist with either way of year sort. The same thing happens in Album & Tracks view as well with album artist/year/album sort.

I think this is another example of inconsistency regarding compilation album sort issue that I reported in my wishlist post:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13558.0
Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:22:00 AM by redwing

phred

• Global Moderator
I think I now know why your were concerned about year tag value in relation to album grouping.

In Artwork view, MB splits the same album into two, if some tracks have year tag value while others don't have the tag. This happens when grouped by album with album artist/year/album sort and when grouped by album artist with either way of year sort. The same thing happens in Album & Tracks view as well with album artist/year/album sort.

I think this is another example of inconsistency regarding compilation album sort issue that I reported in my wishlist post:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13558.0
Exactly why I posted the compilation thread today.  I just added to your post and hopefully Steven will find some time to how difficult it would be to implement this.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here