Author Topic: Discogs Tagger  (Read 108154 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks, redwing! You beat me to it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
The same two error messages with this:

Code
masters/7162605
I also get a 404 error.

edit:
this version will probably address the issue:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1242g6q1vvddbvc/mb_Discogs.zip/file
Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:11:53 PM by Steven

redwing

this version will probably address the issue:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1242g6q1vvddbvc/mb_Discogs.zip/file

Looks like it. So far I've not been able to reproduce the error.
Unless I report back, consider it's fixed. Thanks!

toddddot

Hi.

Really nice plug-in. Before discovering this plug-in, I would tag in MP3tag specifically for Discogs. I downloaded the latest version from the link above and it worked for a week or so. Now it does not seem to access discogs anymore.

toddddot

memoria

Will this plugin automate the process of looking up the BPM on discogs and updating the song entries on my end so I can sort all my music by BPM? I've also always wanted to get the Tempo fields updated automatically from a third party database.

Thank you!

JZStudios

Does this plugin still work, or.. how do you use it? I'm using the plugin posted a few comments up and version 3.2.6902. Doing the auto-tag by album still only brings up Musicbrainz data, despite Discogs being the first in priority. In particular I'm going through classical music and doing it by hand is pretty slow, and Discogs has the information Musicbrainz doesn't.

evil_mani-mani

I've likewise tried the latest version of the plugin and I'm not getting any results for a lot of releases, for instance I'll get results for https://www.discogs.com/release/13772684 but not for any of the following:

/12856224
/8624837
/12636873
/13778564

I can't really make heads or tails about which ones I'll manage to find results for. Unfortunately the other online sources are sorely lacking in release data for a lot of my library, so discogs is basically my only option. As an aside I have no issues finding results for the same releases when using the discogs plugin in something like foobar2000 or MediaMonkey.
Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:18:51 AM by evil_mani-mani

Steven

• Administrator
trying the 12856224 example, its working fine for me. Perhaps you had a timeout or some other temporary issue

evil_mani-mani

Hmm, now that I tried it again that on that one in particular, it's now coming up. I did give the other ones a try though, and got no results. I did also attempt to shorten the album title in the search, omit number of tracks, and even remove the artist so it's only searching for the album name as well, and it doesn't seem to come up for the other 3, I can find additional examples if that would help.
Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:48:41 PM by evil_mani-mani

Steven

• Administrator
i can see for at least one of them: DMX Krew its being rejected due to the format "45 RPM".
I will change it to remove that filter

Steven

• Administrator
try this version:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1242g6q1vvddbvc/mb_Discogs.zip/file

it has removed the unneeded filter and also i noticed that discogs can be inconsistent in the data it returns on the very first query, so this also has some retry logic included

evil_mani-mani

Awesome, thanks! I'm now getting results for most of the albums that weren't coming up previously. Only thing I've noticed is that when searching a compilation, auto filling 'Various Artists' (if that's what it's been pre-tagged with) returns no results from discogs, only changing to 'Various' will return results, so perhaps if I can suggest automatically rewriting/remapping Various Artists to Various when searching with discogs specifically? Clearly not a big deal at least now that I know about it, but it might trip some people up.

There were a couple exceptions out of the many I tried, I did run into a couple edge cases that didn't turn up results, or were inconsistent, namely:
/13836267 < no results
/13259931 < album title alone provides no results, it needs to include 'Bonobo' as Album artist to get a result, not sure if this is the expected behavior though; it doesn't seem to like anything entered for the album artist that isn't exact, for instance, with /12773493 searching "Shinra" for the album artist doesn't return results, only "James Shinra" will result in a hit.

Anyways, thanks again for your efforts so far; already working much better than it was :)
Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 04:34:47 AM by evil_mani-mani

Steven

• Administrator
I have updated the plugin (same link)
- various artists -> various
- 13836267: which includes the & character should now work
- 13259931: that was fine for me

evil_mani-mani

JZStudios

Just dropped it in my plugins folder and it seems to be working for me too.
Question, does it grab the instrument and artist information, or just the general release year, country, album name? I was going through my classical records and inputting the conductor and guest artist tags from Discogs.