Author Topic: Lost 2000 mood and tempo tags!  (Read 8765 times)

e-motiv

While I was tagging my music library during listening hours, something I do for 10 years now, I noticed THAT ALL MY Mood & Tempo tags are gone!
10 years down the drain!
I'm so sad now that I can't really put any effort into finding the cause, but I'm just reporting there is something very wrong with Musicbee.  I never use any mass tag editing or addons, but still this happened.
<b>(EDIT: At least not recently, but I did some spelling correcting once at least)</b>

Maybe when I have cried enough, I will try to find the cause.

(I am not accusing here, just sharing my feelings and reporting a probable serious issue with MB.)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:13:43 PM by R U Bn ?
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's really frustrating!  I have a hard time imagining how MusicBee would do this all on its own, though.  Have you looked at the files with the Tag Inspector?  Have you done any mass editing recently?  What's the last time that you know those tags were present?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

e-motiv

That's really frustrating!

Say the least, but thanks for your sympathy.
Have you looked at the files with the Tag Inspector?
Just now, I checked some from the filter I made (1500 actually, not 2000, tit better :-/) And yes, they seem to be gone from the file.
Have you done any mass editing recently?
Not recently, but I did once use it to change a spelling mistake in a lot of tags.

What's the last time that you know those tags were present?
I am not sure, year ago?

-------

I think at the least this is going to compell me to make a backup plugin once (again, after crying out).
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm.  Yeah, it's gonna be hard to track down a cause without knowing when it happened.  Is there any correlation between the missing tags and the tracks you edited for spelling?  Unless there is, I think we can eliminate that as a cause.

One thing that gets me in trouble from time to time is MB's tendency to grab from the top down to whatever track I select, when I shift-select in a node or playlist I just opened.  Are these tracks with missing tags all clustered together in your library or anything like that?

Also, a long shot, but have you used Windows Media Player for anything at all?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

I'm just reporting there is something very wrong with Musicbee.

I am sorry for your trouble, but that's a big statement, isn't it? Yet, I don't see any evidence from your posts and can't think of any way MB could do that without the user's knowledge. Let us know if you find some.

I'd first check file modification date of files and try to figure out what kind of changes were made to them when and how.

e-motiv

Hmm.  Yeah, it's gonna be hard to track down a cause without knowing when it happened.  Is there any correlation between the missing tags and the tracks you edited for spelling?  Unless there is, I think we can eliminate that as a cause.
I don't remember which were the tracks or tags with spelling mistakes unfortunately.  But I think I might have done it with boroda's tool (that's the only one with search and replace, right?) (Not to blame, just surfing possibilities. Also see below regarding modified dates).

One thing that gets me in trouble from time to time is MB's tendency to grab from the top down to whatever track I select, when I shift-select in a node or playlist I just opened.  Are these tracks with missing tags all clustered together in your library or anything like that?
How can I know that? Because my order is now on "tempo" in my library and of course then they are grouped together.  And it might have been that I did a multiselect in that current order, but I can't know.
Although the modified dates would all be the same then, wouldn't they?  And they are not.
"Data modified" from my 1500 "tag-damaged" tracks range from 2004 upto 2014 without any big groups, quite divided.  Which, if you think about it, I find very strange on itself.  Does MB or MB addons sometimes NOT modify the date when changing tags?

Also, a long shot, but have you used Windows Media Player for anything at all?
Sometimes Windows Media Player opens when I click on some files that weren't linked to open with MB, but I then close it immediately.  I doubt it would do such a thing in such a short time without extra commands, would it?  (Does W.M.P. edit tags without modifiyng the date MB uses as "modified date" ?)

I'm just reporting there is something very wrong with Musicbee.
I am sorry for your trouble, but that's a big statement, isn't it? Yet, I don't see any evidence from your posts and can't think of any way MB could do that without the user's knowledge. Let us know if you find some.
Yeah, it was.  I don't see what else could have done it, besides MB and/or MB addons, but you can interpret it as "might very well be" in stead of "is".  I will report if I find anything, but I think it will be Don Quichote calibre...

I'd first check file modification date of files and try to figure out what kind of changes were made to them when and how.
See above.

redwing

my 1500 "tag-damaged" tracks

What's the exact damage? Out of all the tags of your files, only the values for TXXX/TEMPO and TXXX/MOOD frames were cleared? Or are there any other lost tags? Do they still have other TXXX tags such as replaygain tags?

e-motiv

I just discovered also 748 tracks that lost rating.   :-[
Can't actively tell which other tags are affected; I just passively notice.

Further on, some of the tracks that lost mood and tempo still have TXXX/replaygains. Others have not, but might never have been filled in with replaygains; I don't know the working of this.

Further on, on the tracks that still have tempo and mood, these tags seem to be stored sometimes in COMM/Musicmatch_Tempo and COMM/Musicmatch_Mood, sometimes in TXXX/TEMPO (TXXX/MOOD) and even just TMOO.   But I also saw some  combinations of any of them.
Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:08:43 PM by R U Bn ?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I just discovered also 748 tracks that lost rating.   :-[
Can't actively tell which other tags are affected; I just passively notice.

Further on, some of the tracks that lost mood and tempo still have TXXX/replaygains. Others have not, but might never have been filled in with replaygains; I don't know the working of this.

Further on, on the tracks that still have tempo and mood, these tags seem to be stored sometimes in COMM/Musicmatch_Tempo and COMM/Musicmatch_Mood, sometimes in TXXX/TEMPO (TXXX/MOOD) and even just TMOO.   But I also saw some  combinations of any of them.

Ah.  We may be on to something.  I would expect that the tracks with COMM/ tags, and maybe the TXXX/TEMPO tags, are not actually showing their values in MusicBee, except in the Tag Inspector.  Is this correct?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

e-motiv

I don't think so.
As I said before and I tested like 10 more just now, the damaged-tracks don't have any tempo or mood in tag inspector.
To follow your train of thought, I checked 10 or so non-damaged tracks and MB always displays tempo and/or mood, for:
1. only has TXXX/MOOD and/or TXXX/TEMPO (6)
2. = 1 and COMM/Musicmatch_Tempo and COMM/Musicmatch_Mood (1)
3. = 1. and 2. and COMM with a mood inside (wth?) and COMM/Songs-DB_Tempo (wth?) and TXXX/TMOO (2)
4. =3 without TXXX/TMOO (3)

My brains hurt.

redwing

Did you ever see those tags with MB before for those "damaged" tracks? Could it be the case that those tags were never imported to MB because those "damaged" tracks had only COMM/ tags without TXXX/ tags?

e-motiv

Did you ever see those tags with MB before for those "damaged" tracks?
I never paid attention to the exact "Tag Inspector" tags, but Musicmatch was my previous player (years ago) and MB did take it over and displayed the tags from it well for as long as I can remember (before the damage).

Could it be the case that those tags were never imported to MB because those "damaged" tracks had only COMM/ tags without TXXX/ tags?
No, I didn't change from another program to MB and then said "Hey, MB changed something", if that's what you mean. 
So, I háve seen those tempo/mood (and rating) tags before inside MB itself before.  I have been using only MB for years and since the first years  the above tags were just fine. untill the damage, which I don't know when.
(Though I have a lot of new music since then, and new ones are damaged too, because the modified dates run from 2004 upto 2014, at least if I can believe that field...bc. I think the tags were changed without changing the field "modified date"..must be)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't think so.
As I said before and I tested like 10 more just now, the damaged-tracks don't have any tempo or mood in tag inspector.
To follow your train of thought, I checked 10 or so non-damaged tracks and MB always displays tempo and/or mood, for:
1. only has TXXX/MOOD and/or TXXX/TEMPO (6)
2. = 1 and COMM/Musicmatch_Tempo and COMM/Musicmatch_Mood (1)
3. = 1. and 2. and COMM with a mood inside (wth?) and COMM/Songs-DB_Tempo (wth?) and TXXX/TMOO (2)
4. =3 without TXXX/TMOO (3)

My brains hurt.

Hmm.  For files with COMM tags, is there anything shown in the comment field?  Are there any files with ONLY COMM tags, and no TXXX/ or TMOO tags?

I ask because MusicBee discards tags that it's not configured to read when performing certain processes, including replacing and converting files.  I'm wondering if that happened here, although I think MB would read all of those.  The COMM tags are the only ones I'm not sure about.  I think I had to configure those as custom tags when coming over from Media Monkey.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
@ R U Bn ?
I may have an answer,  I just need one more bit of info please.

In Tags (1)> tag storage, what do have MB set to save MP3 tags as?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

e-motiv

@ R U Bn ?
I may have an answer,  I just need one more bit of info please.

In Tags (1)> tag storage, what do have MB set to save MP3 tags as?