Author Topic: RESOLVED: Unusual Sync Issue  (Read 4193 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I've had no problems syncing between MB and my iPod Classic for the past few years.  However, starting about a month ago, I'm getting a "copy failed" error once the sync completes.  New tracks in MB are being copied to the iPod.  The tracks listed as failed are tracks that I manually deleted using Windows Explorer with MB closed.  I have the feeling it's a database issue where either MB or the iPod thinks the tracks still exist and can't find them.  I have wiped the iPod of all 11,500 tracks and performed another sync with the same result.  

At this point it's really nothing more than an inconvenience since, as I mentioned, new tracks are indeed copied to the iPod.  But before I reinitialize the iPod with an old version of iTunes, I'm wondering if anyone has any less drastic suggestions?

Thanks.
Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:59:41 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

If I understand correctly, it's not a sync issue with your iPod but a discrepancy between your database file and music files.
I would run File> Rescan files command with both "remove dead links" and "re-scan files already in library" option ticked. Also, delete those files ending in mbl and dat with the same name as your iPod device under AppData folder just to make sure the old data files won't affect your syncing. BTW this kind of discrepancy will always happen if you delete tracks with MB closed.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks redwing.

If I understand correctly, it's not a sync issue with your iPod but a discrepancy between your database file and music files.
Yes, I would agree with this.

I would run File> Rescan files command with both "remove dead links" and "re-scan files already in library" option ticked. Also, delete those files ending in mbl and dat with the same name as your iPod device under AppData folder just to make sure the old data files won't affect your syncing. BTW this kind of discrepancy will always happen if you delete tracks with MB closed.
I was really excited to read this.  I had failed to mention initially that I had previously rescanned, but without the second option.  Nor had I deleted the two MBL and DAT files.  However, I don't see the iPod's MBL or DAT files in AppData.  I do see them for my Android phone which I occasionally sync with just a few playlists.  But my entire collection is on the iPod.  And that's where I'm getting the 'sync failed' error.   But I ran the rescan and then did a sync and the result is the same as before - sync failed.  And MB is showing the manually deleted files as not copied.

Shouldn't MB create the MBL and DAT files if they don't exist?  I wonder if the fact that they don't exist is (part of) the problem.

BTW, here's two lines from the error log, which confirms that for whatever reason, MB is looking to sync files that no longer exist.
6/10/2014 1:07:29 PM - Copy Z:\Derek And The Dominoes\Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs\13 - Layla.mp3: File not found
6/10/2014 1:07:29 PM - 6.1.7601.65536 - 2.4.5273.38538 - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.

Any other suggestions?  

EDIT:  Part of the mystery is solved.  I found the MBL and DAT files in AppData.  They're named with the serial number of the iPod instead of with the iPod's name.  I deleted them and performed a sync with the same results as previously - sync failed.
Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:55:15 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
if you get a failure right at the end after all files are copied its probably synching an actual playlist but i am surprised the error is not specific.
I wont be able to look at it for a couple of days though

phred

• Global Moderator
Sometimes I get a popup window showing progress.  Sometimes I just see progress in the status bar.  When seeing the popup, it's fine until 99% and then it lists the playlists with the word "copying."  Never "copied."  Never "failed."  Eventually the sync ends with the "sync failed" message.  I just tried again, and had no popup until the end.  And the tracks listed with "copy failed" are the ones that I deleted a while ago, outside of MB.  As noted in my first post.

But you may be onto something with it being one of the playlists.  I just unchecked all my playlists in the auto-sync settings and got a successful sync.  So I'll add them back one at a time and see where the problem is.  I'll update this with my results in a little while.

I can certainly wait for you to look at this Steven.  I've waited a month before reporting it, so waiting some more isn't an issue. Please let me know if you need anything from me.

Thanks.

UPDATE:  This issue is resolved.  Of the 15 playlists set to sync, two of them contained references to the tracks I deleted manually.  Once I cleaned up the debris I left behind, MB syncs like it used to.  No need to look into this any further Steven.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:59:23 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

OK, that was dead links in playlists. Glad you sorted it out. I'm gonna post a new wish regarding this.