Author Topic: VST Effects Plugin  (Read 124239 times)

sveakul

You may want to try this version if you are having problems with certain VST's and MusicBee.

Yeeha! Using this bass_vst.dll it´s up and running ...

Hey, terrific!  I'm glad that info I posted about the alternative bass_vst.dll (version "2.4.0.10", mod 02/04/2017) helped somebody.  I have been using that one as well since I found out about it, although the one at the GitHub location (version 2.4.0.8, mod 02/27/2015) was working for me also.  As far as the MusicBee mb_VST.dll host I've always had the latest one from the plugin site, ver. 1.0 mod 01/04/2017.

Please let us know if you have good/bad experiences with other VST's using this combo so others may benefit.

I also like to use an adjustable limiter which I find is needed for a lot of radio stations with bad clipping/compression, and have found that attempting to use bs2b_vst.dll ahead of the "Unlimited" (by Sonic Anomaly) limiter will cause MusicBee to crash when attempting to play, though either will work fine alone.  However, using the "Maxwell Smart 3" limiter instead after the crossfeed plugin causes no problems.  As you can see by the whole thread, it's kind of a hit-and-miss situation with MusicBee and VST's.

myheadbands

Hey, I am writing to get help with adding a specific VST to the MB.
The VST I am looking to add are from here https://goodhertz.co/
I dont seem to be able to get it done :(
I have installed the plugin and set the folder right: It did not work
I have isolated only one plugin, it did not work,

I dont know what is wrong.
Could it be because the plugin is 64 bit and MB is 32 bit ?
Sorry if what I say is not enough, will provide more information.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you for your time !

sveakul

Yes, they'll need to be 32-bit plugins to work with a 32-bit host.

If you describe what type of VST effect you are looking for, maybe I or others can suggest one that we already know works well with MusicBee.

myheadbands

Well basically, what I am trying to do is achieve something like this, just for the fun of it and to get my hands dirty with some compressors and the likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF0sZNFSibg

could you suggest me ones with compressors and the likes, anything that you can use to play around with the sound. Hell, I would love it if anyone could suggest me their favorite since I just discovered this plugin and want to see how peoples are using it :)

So yeah, you can give me a list of VST's if you want to :)
Just trying things out here !

Thank you for your time !

sveakul

The only VST I currently use with MusicBee is a compressor/limiter, "Unlimited" by Sonic Anomaly; works fine with the MB host and allows the adjustments I need, plus the bonus of being free:  https://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins

myheadbands

Wow, will surely check that out !  :)
Thank you for the help sveakul !
It is much appreciated.

myheadbands

Hi,
I am writing again  :-X
I took a better look at the the image on the VST plugin itself and saw the VST called AALTO.
I downloaded it's trial version to check if it works but it does not seem to load up.

It is 32 bit and I have set up the folders right.

Has anyone been able to use this. I am just curious since it is show on the image itself. Figured it would work.

Thank you for your time!

sveakul

I'm not sure what you mean by "I took a better look at the the image on the VST plugin itself and saw the VST called AALTO"--image on WHAT plugin?  It's certainly not an "image" on the plugin I mentioned.  Madrona Labs produces Aalto, not Sonic Anomaly.

Steven

• Administrator
Based on some information on the bass forum i have updated this plugin:
- should no longer have a dependency on the old visual c++ runtime dlls being installed
- makes use of the chunk api so all settings should now be persisted (only applies to some VST plugins)

Its important you download and replace both these files:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ar4og0r1hd9m5o6/bass_vst.dll/file
in the folder MusicBee is installed

https://www.mediafire.com/file/f6ebbedyyw2sqq4/mb_VST.dll/file
in the Plugins sub-folder MusicBee is installed
Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:50:19 PM by Steven

sveakul

Thanks Steven for working on these updates!  I have been using the bass_vst.dll version 2.4.0.10 for a while as modified by Falcosoft (discussed over at the bass forum).  With your new version, there hasn't been any problems using the one VST I have settled into, but noticed that the same problems I've had trying a couple of others persist--for example, LoudMax.dll loads without errors, but no signal is being passed through it, while MeierCrossfeed.dll upon loading will throw this error message:

That said, I am certainly not a prolific VST user and hopefully others can give your mods a more proper test with a wide variety of plugins.  I'm pretty much settled on the conclusion that VSTs are one of those things that can never be counted on to work cross-platforms.  The stablest example I have found is the uLilith player (which I use for one-off file playback before deciding if I want to include it in my MB library), which has a built-in VST host that has yet to not work with a plugin.
Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:01:02 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
the reported error with MeierCrossfeed.dll is fixed - it had no editor for configuration.
for loudmax.dll, it visually appears no signal is being processed but changing the parameters works ie it is working.

sveakul

Steven:  re-downloaded both your posted files and now the MeierCrossfeed.dll doesn't throw an error.  When used within uLilith's host it does show a simple slider control when asked to open a "parameter window", so I assume that's coming from uLilith as opposed to the VST plugin itself.  Not actually useable without that though, so I'll look for another crossfeed solution.  FYI I was trying the one at the link here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108412.0;attach=10037 .

Can confirm that loudmax.dll actually does work, sans its VU meter readout--funny though, if you click on a slider and hold, the meters come to life, but then freeze when you release the mouse.

Thanks again for these revisions, I hope there is some more user feedback generated so as to get a clearer picture of what now works vs. what still is problematical.

sveakul

Some more testing:  with both the new mb_vst.dll and the new bass_vst.dll, noticed that the limiter Maxwell Smart 3 (https://static.kvraudio.com/files/1955/maxwell_smart_3.zip) creates pulsing artifacts while loaded;  rolling back mb_vst.dll to the original version, but KEEPING the new bass_vst.dll, result in clean playback with that VST.

Steven

• Administrator
the old mb_vst.dll is not applying all the settings (the chunk settings)
while it is true what you say about the pulsing effect with the default settings, i believe MB is applying them correctly and adjusting the vst settings removes that effect

sveakul

With the new mb_vst.dll I personally can find no setting of the MS-3 limiter that eliminates the pulsing effect;  on the other hand, Sonic Anomaly's unlimited.dll continues to work just fine (ergo, I stick with that).  Granted that it will take a lot more than the experiences of one user to provide any accurate assessment, especially as we're dealing with such a wide variation of possible VSTs.

One more for the road:  Acon's EffectChainer.dll v.1.02 (http://www.acondigital.com/software/EffectChainer102us.exe)  loads but there is no access to the interface when double-clicked, required to actually set it up.

So hey everbody, if you're reading this and you use any VSTs, how about letting us know your experience with the new files, while Steven has found enough time to do some tinkering on this plugin?