Author Topic: VST Effects Plugin  (Read 126557 times)

wealstarr

For anyone looking for a solution, I did some more test and found a host that appears to be working fine with mb_VST. Unlimited effects, instruments, VST3, custom programs/blanks, wet/dry, and tons of other stuff. Everything that an advanced DAW would offer. An ideal solution really ( or more like an ideal alternate solution :P )

http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

sveakul

Thanks for the heads-up on this wealstarr, nice.  Keeps everything in one folder and almost half the price of the BlueCat chainer.

I noticed that on the mutools website in the docs area for MUX, there is a section (http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/using-vst-plugins.html) that leads with "MuTools apps support VST plug-ins up to VST version 2.4."  Did you find that it does take VST3 also?   Web documentation is often out-of-date;  couldn't try it myself as the plugins I use are all 2.4.

I hope your work on the mb_vst host will open up use for any plugin but until then nice to know about a chainer that works right now with it "clean."

wealstarr

Thanks for the heads-up on this wealstarr, nice.  Keeps everything in one folder and almost half the price of the BlueCat chainer.

Minihost Modular by Image-Line is  Free, efficient, easy to use and has a very low memory footprint. Also, it doesn't come bundled with all the factory patches/presets/modules basically useless for the users who just want to process audio through VST's for listening pleasure, perfectly suits them. But unfortunately not compatible with mb_VST. If this plugin ever get an update, I'll be sure to test it's compatibility again.

oh! and my bad, MUX doesn't support vst3 format yet. Comes as a surprise though for the professional utility it is.

sveakul

Just some additional observations when using this plugin host and compatibilities from my own testing:

1.  Tried replacing the bass_vst.dll that mb_vst wraps with version 2.4.0.8 from the Github repository (https://github.com/r10s/BASS_VST/tree/master/bin/win32) which is dated February 27, 2015, newer than the one supplied by MB (which is the same one available at the normal BASS un4seen address ) which is dated 9/17/2013 but has a "2.4.5" version number.  The changelog posted at the BASS forum (http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=5559.msg125834#msg125834) indicates:

v2.4.0.8 contain the following enhancements:
BASS_VST_Get/SetChunk added: plain binary parameter data handling
BASS_VST_Get/SetProgramParam length parameter added: to yield better .Net interoperability
Default/last parameter value handling optimized: as some VSTs can dynamically add/remove parameters

Unfortunately, this newer bass_vst.dll did not stop me having the same errors/crashes with certain VST plugins on mb_vst as the MB supplied one did.  Decided to keep it anyway, I'm a sucker for a newer build :)

2.  Partly repeating wealstarr's obs here:  Acon Effect Chainer does not load, nor does the Case Meier Crossfeed <sob!> or LoudMax.

3.  Both the Unlimited (Sonic Anomaly)  and the Maxwell Smart 3 limiters load and work great;  which one to use is a matter of taste.  Nice metering and more flexibility on the Unlimited.

4.  The Bauer crossfeed VST (http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html) works when loaded alone, or with the Maxwell Smart 3 limiter, but crashes if the Unlimited is chosen.

For what it's worth.  I am using the Bauer and the MS-3, but if you don't need headphones crossfeed the Unlimited is the more flexible and better-GUI limiter.

I am happy with the default MB equalizer, but found that the rather cool free TDR Nova equalizer VST also works with mb_vst, at least on its own, didn't try a combo with other VSTs loaded.

Of course what is really needed is either a re-write of mb_vst or a bulit-in VST host like with the uLilith player.  Here's hoping somebody will take this on.  Until then, if you've tested other stuff that works with mb_vst, post here and help us out.

sveakul

Hello gaiastar,

Following up here on your questions concerning VSTs in the "Questions" forum.

1.  "Unlimited" works like most compressor/limiter combinations (incl. Voxengo Elephant) in that it allows you to apply a peak gain across a chosen portion of the input audio's dB range while trying to eliminate any distortion effects of peaks it is limiting and keep the boosted audio range sounding "natural."  I say "trying" because various CL's have varying success, and how you adjust the "threshold" and "output" levels as well as response speed, etc. is important.  This sounds more intimidating than it actually is.  The best place to start is read the manual that comes with the "Unlimited" download at Sonic Anomaly, then start experimenting with the slider positions.  Like so many things it's all up to what sounds best for YOU.

How you have the MusicBee internal equalizer set vs. somebody else's setting is going to affect what compressor/limiter settings you decide on.  With the equalizer set to what sounds best to me BEFORE loading the limiter, I then have the latter set to a -1.5db Threshold and a -.49db Output, with "Character" and "Response" set to .2   These are pretty conservative settings so you may want to reduce your Threshold for a "louder" sound.  It's easy to experiment with because MusicBee will apply the changes while you have audio playing, not wait for a "restart".

2.  I'm not using any "audio analysis" plugins myself but there a ton of free VST's out there to try, including ones that just provide a spectrum display.   Beware though that many will NOT work with MusicBee's mb_vst host, as you can see by the preceding posts on this thread.  You can find a lot of them here:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

A free spectrum analyzer I have used with other VST-capable players is the Voxengo SPAN:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

Tell us what works/doesn't work for you!  We are all hoping that somebody gives mb_vst a re-write soon.

sveakul

Would love to hear from anybody out there using the MusicBee VST host, and if so, what is working/not working for you in terms of VST plugins??    Got real quiet real quick in here  :(

dreams-visions

Greetings. I'm attempting to use the following VST plugin in MusicBee (new user).

https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin

It is a plug-in for my (and all Audeze) headphones that tunes the audio just a little bit to maximize their features. I've used it with Foobar for a long time, but am giving MusicBee an audition to see if it's time to transition over. Well, after setting up the VST host plug-in, I am able to see and activate the plugin in the DSP interface normally.

Unfortunately, the "Mix" dial in the application appears to be misbehaving. The higher I turn the "Mix" dial (the dial with "Dry" and "Wet" at the 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions, respectively) the quieter the volume gets. At 100% "Wet" the sound is completely off. The only effect this dial should have is changing the sound a little bit, but it should have no affect on the volume itself. The "Gain" dial appears to be behaving normally.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a current limitation of the MusicBee application, but given it works in Foobar and JRiver and in wanting to make a decision on whether to keep using MusicBee, I thought I'd ask. It's pretty important to me. :(

Any insights will be appreciated!

sveakul

Hello and thanks for posting.  Unfortunately, the MB VST status at this point is, either the VST plugin you try works, or it doesn't work, as you can see by reading this thread.  Steven is not currently working on mb_vst, and the 3rd-party BASS component it depends on, bass_vst.dll, hasn't been updated in several years.  So it's a matter of finding another VST plugin that does the same thing and giving it a try.

I'm not sure what the "Mix" option on the Audeze plugin actually does, but if it involves headphones crossfeed,  a crossfeed VST that does work with the MB host is the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP, which gives you the choice of the C.Moy, Meier, and its own default algorithms.  Again, it plays nice loaded on its own but can cause a crash if another (but not all!) VST plugin is loaded at the same time.  BS2B is here:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/bs2b/files/plugins/VST%20plugin/2.1.0/vst-bs2b-2.1.0-win32bin.zip/download

Again I encourage those who find VST plugins that DO work properly to post here and help others out with the same dilemma!

dreams-visions

Understood, sveakul. I'll reach out to Audeze to see if maybe they can tweak their application in a future update to be more compatible with MusicBee.

And unfortunately, I'm not versed enough in the plugin to know what it's doing either, only that the left dial subtly changes the sound.

The features MusicBee has really makes me want to transition over, but this makes me pause a little bit. Otherwise, it's a great application and the skin I'm using on it makes it look exactly like my Foobar setup. I didn't expect everything to transition over perfectly, so I'm content in waiting for a possible solution from either Audeze or MusicBee.

sveakul

dreams-visions, one thing you can try is bypassing the MusicBee VST host system altogether and instead loading "Winamp VST Host", a dsp plugin that functions in place of mb_vst.dll and bass_vst.dll.  That plugin is available here:  http://www.pcjv.de/applications/winamp/

After downloading the latest version, use 7-zip to extract dsp_vst.dll, and put that in the MusicBee plugins folder, then restart MB and check the DSP Plugins window.  This plugin allows only one VST to be used at a time, however, it will successfully load the EffectChainer VST host plugin, which can then be used to run multiple VSTs at the same time.  The link for that is in the post here: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13022.msg135966#msg135966

I used this solution for a while, but when my needs went down to only one VST (a limiter) that worked fine with the MB native host I stuck with that.  But try this and see if it allows you to use all the Audeze plugin's controls.  Then please let us know the results!

sveakul

Just found out that another developer has been making some improvements/changes to the bass_vst.dll, which has always been a 3rd-party project and  not the work of either Un4seen Developments or Steven.   In a thread at Un4seen he posts a link to his midi player project that, when downloaded and unzipped, contains 32 and 64 bit binaries for the modified bass_vst.dll as well as the source code.  His mods to the one on the Git are listed as and I quote:

- Modified IDLE_UNLOAD_PENDING_COUNTDOWN from 10 to 5 sec.  Since some plugins require complete unload before reload 10 sec wait time is too much.
- Added cleanUpPlugins() function to remove loaded plugins before unload. It matters when you load/unload bass_vst dynamically.
- Added Visual C++ 6 project for x86 version.

- Added BASS_VST_SetEditKnobMode (knobMode 0: circular, 1: circular relative, 2: linear)
- Modified BASS_VST_PARAM_INFO members maximum characters to 24.
  (I know VST specification dictates maximum 8 character but it is ridiculously low and no plugins/hosts respect this limit.)

You may want to try this version if you are having problems with certain VST's and MusicBee.  A quick first test showed it didn't correct two of my obvious "offenders", but your mileage may vary.  The forum thread containing the relevant link is here:  https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=18255.0 ;  check the second post.

nepanitukka

&gt;:(

I put mb_VST.dll in the plugins folder
and bass_vst.dll in the main MB folder

I am running WIN10 64Bit - MB 3.2.6827

on trying to install the Runtime Package i got an error "newer version of this ... is already installed".

further ...

Set the VST plugins directory to: C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\MusicBee\Plugins\VST (this is where MB is installed)
and put bs2b_vst.dll there (was looking for a convolver for my DT1990Pro)

started MB new many times now ...

VST Host shows up in the settings/plugins section, but no stereo-to-binaural effect shows up.

What am I missing?
Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:30:22 AM by nepanitukka

sveakul

Hi nepanitukka:  The runtime error (I assume you were trying to install VS 2010 C++) was just because you already have a newer version of Visual Studio runtimes installed.  I'm not sure if the latest VS is backwards-compatible to plugins built with 2010, but Windows 10 has the Microsoft "Universal CRT" which to my understanding allows projects that were built with older redists to run.  So, we'll leave that one alone for now.

1.  In Prefs/Plugins, does vst host show as being enabled (if it is, a "disable" button should show)?

2.  In the 'source folder for the VST plugins" box below, is the correct path to the folder containing bs2b_vst.dll indicated?

3.  If any of the above needed to be done, save afterwards and restart MusicBee.

4.  In Prefs/Player/Equaliser & DSP(button on lower right)/Equaliser & DSP Settings page, does bs2b_vst.dll show up in the list box of DSP Plugins?  If so, check the box next to it;  then, double click it to bring up its GUI and make any adjustments you require.  Be sure its box stays checked.  Exit the DSP window, Save, restart MB just for good measure.

Any luck now?  I have the bs2b_vst.dll installed (MusicBee 3.2.6856, Windows 7SP1 32-bit), and it works for me (I use it to apply some Meier crossfeed for headphones).  However, you should know that VST support on MB is a bit "twitchy", in that if you are using other VST plugins at the same time, it can cause a fail in one or the other (or not).  And there are cases where some plugins simply won't work at all.  But as I say, this one does for me, so hopefully it will for you too despite our different OS platforms.

nepanitukka

Thanks for your answer.

Hi nepanitukka:  The runtime error (I assume you were trying to install VS 2010 C++) was just because you already have a newer version of Visual Studio runtimes installed.  I'm not sure if the latest VS is backwards-compatible to plugins built with 2010, but Windows 10 has the Microsoft "Universal CRT" which to my understanding allows projects that were built with older redists to run.  So, we'll leave that one alone for now.

yes, was trying to install the runtime (in the XP days you had to install all versions that were needed by different programs) - Didn´t know about the "universal CRT"

1.  In Prefs/Plugins, does vst host show as being enabled (if it is, a "disable" button should show)?

Yes - there is a "disable" button

2.  In the 'source folder for the VST plugins" box below, is the correct path to the folder containing bs2b_vst.dll indicated?

Yep

3.  If any of the above needed to be done, save afterwards and restart MusicBee.

Yep - restarted many times

4.  In Prefs/Player/Equaliser & DSP(button on lower right)/Equaliser & DSP Settings page, does bs2b_vst.dll show up in the list box of DSP Plugins?  If so, check the box next to it;  then, double click it to bring up its GUI and make any adjustments you require.  Be sure its box stays checked.  Exit the DSP window, Save, restart MB just for good measure.

No! it´s just the standard DSP Plugins ...

I tried also to set my standard VST Plugins folder in MB ... But also there - none of the VST plugins are showing up under Prefs/Player/Equaliser & DSP

Any luck now?  I have the bs2b_vst.dll installed (MusicBee 3.2.6856, Windows 7SP1 32-bit), and it works for me (I use it to apply some Meier crossfeed for headphones).  However, you should know that VST support on MB is a bit "twitchy", in that if you are using other VST plugins at the same time, it can cause a fail in one or the other (or not).  And there are cases where some plugins simply won't work at all.  But as I say, this one does for me, so hopefully it will for you too despite our different OS platforms.

The crossfeed is what I am looking for ... anyone else is running this on 64BitWIN10?

No luck for now.

I tried also deinstall, delete and reinstall of the mb_VST.dll and bass_vst.dll ...

Which versions of the two dll´s are you using? I picked them here in the thread ...

nepanitukka

You may want to try this version if you are having problems with certain VST's and MusicBee.

Yeeha! Using this bass_vst.dll it´s up and running ...