Author Topic: VST Effects Plugin  (Read 124214 times)

rus929

Btw, I was amazed with MusicBee (thank you very much Steven). Using ASIO as sound device in MB and enabling resampling of 48k in preferences, MB excels in sound in every player i tried in Windows system. Now, having tried and using two free VST plugins, ReaXcomp (multiband compressor from cockos) and TDR VOS SlickEQ (3-band parametric equalizer from Tokyo Dawn Lab), MB even pushed further with customizable sound enhancer to your own taste, be it just a multi media speaker system or a powerful audio system at your home. Great piece of software !!!

Here are the links of that plugins:

ReaXcomp - http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/ (just download the 32bit version of ReaPlugs Vst and uncheck all other plugins except ReaXcomp when installing. After installation, go to C:\Program Files(x86)\VstPlugins, copy the "ReaPlugs" folder to MusicBee plugins folder.

SlickEQ - http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq/ (just download the Windows (no intaller) package and extract it to MusicBee plugins folder.

As I posted above, if it is the first time you are putting plugins in MB, then you must change the preference path of its plugins as in my case to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins". (Apply)

MY SETTINGS:

Important: The position in MB’s DSP window of these two plugins, ReaXcomp must be over SlickEQ (or ReaXcomp first then SlickEQ). The 2 plugins must be active with no other DSP turned-on or the MB’s default EQ.

For ReaXcomp:

(In my case, moving the slider control of ReaXcomp crashes MB, so I just input values numerically).
If no values indicated, leave other config as it is.

Band/Frequency/Threshold/Ratio/Attack/Release/Gain

Band1/80Hz/-18/2.5/1.0/200/6
Band2/250Hz/-16/2.0/1.0/200/3
Band3/6000Hz/-3/1.0/10/100/0
Band4/12899/-3/1.0/10/100/1.5

You can increase bass boost by decreasing threshold to -3 if it is too weak for you.

For SlickEQ:

LOW: 80Hz, gain 4.0dB, curve is V or A (red-lit indicator)
MID: 144Hz, gain 1.7dB
HIGH: 6.5kHz, gain 3.5dB, curve S 0r Z (blue-lit indicator)
Click “AUTO” button (blue-lit indicator will turn off) so as not to activate auto-gain.
Increase OUT GAIN to 2.4dB if desired.

You can increase or decrease gains in frequencies in to your liking to compensate sound produced by your amplifier.

Some modification to my previous ReaXcomp settings: (for 6000Hz & 12899Hz)

Band/Frequency/Threshold/Ratio/Attack/Release/Gain
Band3/6000Hz/0/2.0/1/200/0
Band4/12899/0/2.0/1/200/0

Changing values of threshold, ratio, and attack same as that of low ranges make these two frequencies more active I think, especially by increasing the threshold to negative values.

Here's another modification to my settings, and I think it improve much the function of the compressor (ReaXcomp);
- I gave values to "knees" and made changes to frequencies of mid and high.

band/freq/threshold/ratio/KNEE/attack/release/gain

1/80Hz/-16/5/2/3/160/6
2/250Hz/-16/5/2/3/160/1.7
3/1000Hz/-1.5/2/4/50/100/0
4/6000Hz/-1.5/2/6/50/100/0

I made changes also to SlickEQ;

LOW: 80Hz, gain = 0.2 (or increase if weak)
MED: 1260Hz, gain = 1.2
HIGH: 6.5kHz, gain = 2.0 (or increase if weak)
Try also to enable auto gain.
Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:17:56 AM by rus929

Mr. Trev

I recently did a clean install of Win 10 to get the creators update and for some reason I get an error about this plugin doing something bad in C++ (sorry about the technical description). I tried installing the VC Redist Steven linked on the first post, but windows tells me I have a newer version already installed, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

For the record I'm using the latest 3.1 beta (and everything worked ok on my previous install - also 3.1 beta)

Mr. Trev

rus929

Here's the error I keep getting:

I did not get if your running on 64bit of win10. If so, did you install both version of that C++ required; since i think MB is running on 32bit only.

Mr. Trev

I've tried both runtimes and get the same msg. that I have a newer version (I'm x64 btw)

I've had the plugin working before so I have no idea why it's giving me this error now.

I'm not going to worry too much about it, I don't use VST that often to begin with

Jack16277

Hello there,
I've registered specifically to describe what happen to me:

I've installed the plugin, worked perfectly for some time

After, I couldn't see the vst but they were active as I can still listen to the sound improvement

I've update the plugin to the new version and I was able to see the vst again (in the list)

Now it came back to the same situation, the effect are on but they are not visible (so i can't configure them)

Any ideas?

redwing

Try with the latest 3.1 version of MB from the first forum topic to see if that makes any differences. It's working fine for me.

Jack16277

Try with the latest 3.1 version of MB from the first forum topic to see if that makes any differences. It's working fine for me.

Thanks for the reply :)

Updated with 3.1 but the situation is the same

The strange thing is the VST are actually loaded (if i move and put back the .dll file of the plugin I can hear the difference)

I can reinstall it, i guess, but I would like to find a solution...as I said before, when i update the plugin, at first restart, it was working fine, then...no :/

If i go to preferences-->plugin i can't see the plugin (can't uninstall)

Does anyone else experiencing something similar?

EDIT: I've managed to find the VST settings in C:\User\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\VstSettings.dat , after delete, I can find the plugin back in the preferences and all the VST (obviously I need to set-up the sound again)

Maybe a bug from an unsupported VST?
Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:11:06 AM by Jack16277

rus929

Reply to

Thanks for the reply :)

Updated with 3.1 but the situation is the same

The strange thing is the VST are actually loaded (if i move and put back the .dll file of the plugin I can hear the difference)

I can reinstall it, i guess, but I would like to find a solution...as I said before, when i update the plugin, at first restart, it was working fine, then...no :/

If i go to preferences-->plugin i can't see the plugin (can't uninstall)

Does anyone else experiencing something similar?

EDIT: I've managed to find the VST settings in C:\User\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\VstSettings.dat , after delete, I can find the plugin back in the preferences and all the VST (obviously I need to set-up the sound again)

Maybe a bug from an unsupported VST?

Not been to this forum lately....
I hope that you had figured out your problem, if not, maybe this one will help.

*** In my case all plugins are in this directory, "C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins", and see to it that all plugins are 32-bit (X86) versions, since MB is running on 32 bit.

*** One question though, are you using those plugins that I use or this is different plugin? Coz' I cannot guarantee it's compatibility with MB.

barlet

I am using Portable Musicbee since I have to change computers every now and then. I do all the editing on one computer, of which I am an administrator, but do the playing on another computer of which I am not an administrator. I have tried to copy the VST folder to the portable drive but the two computers show different lettering for the same drive. Is it possible to set the VST plugin in MusicBee to point to the portable drive no matter what letter it is registered on the computer? Can anyone help please?

rus929

I am using Portable Musicbee since I have to change computers every now and then. I do all the editing on one computer, of which I am an administrator, but do the playing on another computer of which I am not an administrator. I have tried to copy the VST folder to the portable drive but the two computers show different lettering for the same drive. Is it possible to set the VST plugin in MusicBee to point to the portable drive no matter what letter it is registered on the computer? Can anyone help please?

Yes, as long as the VST you are using is within the MB plugins folder. Just type the correct path of the plugins folder of MB in plugin's preference section, and see to it that the "mb_VST.dll" is there also.

Btw, for the information of all, my VST plugin dlls are copied from the original VST plugin folder when the VST is installed in "Program Files(x86)\VSTplugins", that's X86 since we only need 32bit plugins.
Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:31:28 AM by rus929

sveakul

Hello,

Using MusicBee 3.1rc4 in WASAPI event mode.   Installed mb_VST, which shows up in plugins as active.  In DSP plugins section, the VST plugins in my VST folder show up and are selectable.  However, after selecting one (Loudmax limiter) and restarting MB to be sure, no signal is being passed through the limiter--even wild settings have no audible effect on the music, and the Loudmax GUI meters show no signal is coming through it when a song is being played.  Same thing when trying a different limiter (Yohng).  Both limiters are in use successfully on other players on same PC (uLilith, Foobar).  I do have Visual C++ 2010 redist installed (and 2013/2015).  The bass_vst.dll is present in the MB directory. Everything is 32-bit (Win7sp1).

I see others have had issues with the VST plugins showing up at all;  in my case they show up fine and are selectable/settable, just are not being used.  Am at my wit's end as to what the problem may be--any ideas much appreciated!  Hopefully as a new MusicBee user (GREAT player!) I have just missed a setting somewhere.

sveakul

...I see others have had issues with the VST plugins showing up at all;  in my case they show up fine and are selectable/settable, just are not being used.  Am at my wit's end as to what the problem may be--any ideas much appreciated!  Hopefully as a new MusicBee user (GREAT player!) I have just missed a setting somewhere.

Found the solution to this here:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22824.0

ultradust

Hello -

I've installed the VST Effects plugin in MusicBee 3.1. In Preferences, I changed the VST location to my preferred 32-bit VST plugin location.

When I restarted MusicBee, initially (for about 2 seconds) it looked like it was scanning plugins. Then I get the error:
"Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe R6016 -not enough space for thread data"

The error dialogue provides an OK button, but when I click it the same error immediately pops up repeatedly. There is no way to proceed except to crash MusicBee via the Task Manager.

I've tried restarting MusicBee a few times, but the errors occur almost immediately. Any ideas?