Author Topic: iPod: Song Ratings  (Read 4760 times)

FadedMaster

I like the ability to rate music on my iPod while I listen to it and have it update in my library.  This is a feature which was supported in iTunes.  I noticed that this is not a feature that is in MusicBee.  I searched the forums to make sure that no one else has mentioned this, and found the following:

- remove 2 way rating auto-synch support for iPods - now only the iPod rating is updated with no attempt to update the main library rating if changed on the iPod
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=551.msg6220#msg6220

I was wondering if there was any possibility to re-implement this feature, or provide it as an option.  I'm sure there was a reason to have it dropped.

Thanks ahead.

Steven

• Administrator
i'll put it back as an option. It was causing some people unexpected behaviour

FadedMaster

Thanks.  It also seems that ratings made inside MusicBee don't show up on my iPod.  So it looks like the ratings don't sync between them at all.

FadedMaster

I was wondering if you added this as an option in the new beta.  I looked through but I didn't see anything. :)

Steven

• Administrator
its in the latest beta. But please try out to confirm its ok

FadedMaster

100% perfect.  Ratings were updated in my library and on my iPod and with no errors.  160GB iPod Classic by the way.

jtoz

I was hoping for this exact feature and noticed it was included on the most recent beta, but it doesn't seem to work on my ipod nano, 3rd-gen.  Is there a setting I need to tick?  I can see the track in the library's playlist without a rating, but with a rating when look at the same track on the ipod.

jtoz

::) I just found the setting.  Seems to work from Library to iPod, but not vice versa.

Steven

• Administrator
if you have 2-way rating synched in the auto-synch settings it works as follows:
- on doing a full synch, it will transfer the rating to the ipod if changed in the main library
- if the rating on the ipod has changed since the last synch and is unchanged in the main library, it will synch the rating to the main library
- but you need to have done at least one auto-synch with the 2-way rating option enabled first

jtoz

OK.  I must be doing something wrong.  I still cannot get this to work on my ipod nano 3G.  Tonight I was on my way home from work listening to my "NANO PLAYLIST" which I sync between MB and the ipod.  I heard the song "Wormhole" by Guided by Voices and gave it a 5-star rating (previously unrated) and got home and plugged into my PC and sync appeared to occur.  5-star rating not recorded (and couldn't even see it on the ipod device in MB).  Refreshed, re-scanned...no difference.  No rating recorded on either side (when viewed thru MB, the ipod did still show the 5-star rating after I had ejected).

Then to test, I gave the track in the PC library a 4-star rating and did a sync...success.  4-stars appeared in both the library and the NANO PLAYLIST and therefore on the ipod.  I do have 2-way sync enabled.  I do not have the library continuously monitored.

Any thoughts?  ???

cheers.
Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:09:06 PM by jtoz