Author Topic: Customize MediaKeys for Mouse  (Read 8424 times)

Arathon

Hi,
I have a Kova+ and I want to manage my music with the mouse from any program, unfortunately I can't figure out how to make 'pause/play' or 'next track/previous track' being recognized by MB even though in shortcut I enabled the media keys making them global. I wish you can add the support for mouses with more than 2 buttons.

P.S I can use the predefined  'pause/play' and 'next track/previous track' button from the Kova software with spotify without changing anything.

Steven

• Administrator

Arathon

tried the patched file but it didn't work as i intended.

I'll describe better what i wanted (sorry for my bad English but it's not my native lang):

-I have a kova+ with 5 buttons and i can do combos (Shift+ setting), in the application provided for the mouse I've set the media keys to one button (for play/pause) and to 2 combos (for the next and previous track). Spotify and  windows media player (and also my keyboard) recognize these command even if they are minimized (it's perfect when i'm playing or doing something else and i need to interact with the music player).

-Now MB doesn't recognize these commands, i tried the plugin 'alternative media-keys' with no success. I noticed that MB will set next and previous track actions to 2 of my mouse's buttons which are not the desired ones and more importantly if i switch away from musicbee or minimize it if they will not work even though they are set to global (maybe because in the mouse setting they are set to do something else).

I can modify the original setting of the mouse mapping but the 2 button chosen by MB are in the left side of the mouse and they are pretty hard to use if you a right hand user. So if you can make it possible to edit the mouse mapping on MB or make the media setting compatible (in particular they should work as WMP) I would be a really really happy and grateful user.

Arathon

Maybe i found the culprit MB will try to use the settings for the mouse' buttons (BUTTON-X1/X2) ignoring the default settings of the programmed buttons. So is there a way to disable this? to make MB use only the keyboard and not the mouse?

ma_t14

Confirmed. Doesn't work with Roccat Kone Pure Optical either.

I tested with foobar2000 and it's working as expected

Steven

• Administrator
i have added a "Default" option to the x-button config that makes MB itself do nothing when a x-button is pressed:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

as i dont have a 5-button mouse, could you also test the other two settings to make sure they still work

ma_t14

i have added a "Default" option to the x-button config that makes MB itself do nothing when a x-button is pressed:

as i dont have a 5-button mouse, could you also test the other two settings to make sure they still work

Yes, everything seems to be working as intended now, thanks!

Arathon

mmm I couldn't make it work, I've set to default the mouse shortcut setting but still it doesn't recognize my mouse settings. How did you set the button on the Kone software? In mine i have to choose the media-player with whom i'll associate the media-keys and I have 4 choices (winamp, vlc, itunes, windows media player), the default setting is WMP and spotify worked flawlessly.

P.S: here a screenshot of the software settings http://imgur.com/tJ1pD2I

Steven

• Administrator
i can see one mistake i made so could you try this version:

however if it doesnt work there wouldnt be anything more i would do

ma_t14

mmm I couldn't make it work, I've set to default the mouse shortcut setting but still it doesn't recognize my mouse settings. How did you set the button on the Kone software? In mine i have to choose the media-player with whom i'll associate the media-keys and I have 4 choices (winamp, vlc, itunes, windows media player), the default setting is WMP and spotify worked flawlessly.

P.S: here a screenshot of the software settings http://imgur.com/tJ1pD2I

It seems to be working fine for a while and then all of a sudden it stops working unless I disconnect and reconnect the mouse. That happens with foobar2000 as well so I guess there's a problem with the mouse's driver (that's why I didn't bother reporting it here)

edit
Testing with wmp yields the same result
Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:39:19 PM by ma_t14

Arathon

It seems to be working fine for a while and then all of a sudden it stops working unless I disconnect and reconnect the mouse. That happens with foobar2000 as well so I guess there's a problem with the mouse's driver (that's why I didn't bother reporting it here)

edit
Testing with wmp yields the same result

You're right i disconnected and reconnected the mouse and now it's working properly for MB only for a few minutes then it will not recognize any imput, but spotify work without any problem. Dunno if they implemented the media-keys differently. Unfortunately the roccat software has no damn support and it's hard to find anything on the web. Thank you Steven for the awesome support.

ma_t14

@Arathon

For what it's worth, I submitted a support ticket to Roccat explaining the issue. You never know, maybe something good will come out of that  ::)

Arathon

@Arathon

For what it's worth, I submitted a support ticket to Roccat explaining the issue. You never know, maybe something good will come out of that  ::)

I don't think the problem lies on the driver because i could use all the combos (Shift+) easily with spotify but not with MB, so in my opinion the problem lies on how the SW handle the media Keys inputs and maybe Spotify has the same pattern as WMP so setting the player as WMP works perfectly or there is something related on the handling of the media keys with .Net framework (maybe some incompatibility). In my opinion MB will work only if the mediakeys handling is similar to the SW available win the roccat setting (WMP, VLC, iTunes and winamp).

Unfortunately I'm not a developer so this is only a guess.

ma_t14

I tried wmp with the wmp setting and itunes with the itunes setting and still had the same problem. I think blaming the driver makes the most sense.

Arathon

I tried wmp with the wmp setting and itunes with the itunes setting and still had the same problem. I think blaming the driver makes the most sense.

In my case WMP works flawlessly as Spotify, this is really strange. Ah and by the way even my keyboard mediakey work perfectly with MB and Spotify (WMP).

I have windows 8.1 64 bit, you?