Author Topic: Using MusicBee on multiple computers  (Read 28783 times)

garay

Just done a few little playlist exercises. No matter what I do to fix the unlocated files in notepad playlists, as soon as I do a playlist sync from PC1 (master library), files in notepad playlist revert to being unlocated again.

I can sync library and playlists to PC2 no problem, but folder locations are the same on PC1 and PC2. Because notepad has only a 64gb SSD, I put music library (25gb and increasing) on sd card.

So it boils down to MB playlists on notepad will not link music files that are on one of two directories that make up the playlist files on PC1.

I can't work out why MB playlist files on PC1 would be a combination of 2 different directories in the first place. All files in the MB music library have the same directory. I'll have to work out a way to have the one directory for playlist files on PC1, and then see how that affects playlists on PC1 before I attempt to sync to notepad.

Also the fact that music files in playlists from one directory show up on notepad but not those in another has me baffled, it obviously doesn't matter on PC1 and 2.

garay

On PC1 I can change the directory of a playlist song from \\office\my music\mp3s to C:\users\geoff\music\mp3s, but not the other way around. Considering playlists on notepad will recognise  \\office\my music\mp3s, but not  C:\users\geoff\music\mp3s, I don't think that's going to achieve anything. Then again, C:\users\geoff\music\mp3s is the correct directory for all my music files on PC1.
I think I've got to try and work out why 2 different playlist file directories don't affect PC1 or 2, only notepad.

blogonat

I'm a new (and happy) user of MB, and trying to find a way to have one shared music folder (smb) and several PC with MB installed on. Anyway to make a "network (or shared) library", folder inside MB. A bit like the "inbox" folder but with the shared files.
Hope i made myself clear enough. The thing is, I want only 1 server and several instances (clients) that can acces to this server (but can't modify it), and copy inside MB from this server to their own library.
The way could be to make that shared folder as a device (like a usb drive), and input that device in any instances (client) of Musicbee
Am I on the good way ? ;)
Many thanks !

garay

The music folder is not a problem. I have my main PC, where I continually add songs to my music folder, which MB monitors. Every new song I add then gets allocated to a playlist, which MB also monitors, no problem. I do a sync to second PC, (or you could copy), and MB on second PC is identical to main PC. Copied my music folder to sd card on tablet, works in MB, but it doesn't matter if I copy the MB playlists to sd card or on to MB folder on C drive, playlists are incomplete, not locating path to many files. That's when I discovered the files in MB playlists spread over two different directories.
I have to work out the correct way to add files to the playlists in PC 1 so they show up on tablet, then rectify playlists on PC1 so that playlist sync will work accurately to tablet. I can't understand why the playlists files are spread over two directories in PC1, I think that's the first thing I have to resolve.
I think either way, I will have to change directories to the existing unlinked playlist files on the tablet, via PC1, so that they will play on tablet after sync.
So basically, I'm after the same result as you, but somewhere my playlists files have been mixed up.

ramaroodle

This may be cheating but the easiest solution I could find is to use "Remote Desktop" on the 2nd PC and set audio to come from the remote PC. 1MB, 1 Library, 1 set of files (plus the backups on the cloud)

garay

Makes sense, but the reason a lot of the offered solutions don't work is that I remove my tablet from the network so I can play my music via MB in other locations. I read the other day someone having similar problems trying to sync via the cloud onto a sd card in a tablet. The original files were on a "C" drive while the sd card is designated "D" drive. His solution was to make the sd card part of C drive on the tablet. I have to look into that further, sounds like it could be the answer. The basic problem is that I can sync my music library from PC1 C drive to tablet D drive sd card no problem, and point MB on tablet to library on sd card and files will show in MB and play. But when I sync playlists from PC1 to tablet, the playlists on the tablet are looking for files on C drive.