Author Topic: Sort albums by year..that are in the same year?  (Read 10539 times)

dylstew

I sort my albums by year to show them in chronological order, but  there's a problem with that
For example, steppenwolf's first and second album were released in the same year.
however, the second one comes up first.
Is there any way to sort it correctly?

Pingaware

Sort by date and put more precise dates (i.e. month, day) in the tags when needed?
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

dylstew

There's no date tag in the sort options :(
Date and Releasetime DO exist in Mp3tag.

edit:
Okay, I did it by making Date a CUSTOM Tag, but I want to use the ACTUAL Date ID3 tag in my music library.
This is a nice workaround, but not what I'm looking for. I want it saved in my music files themselves.
Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:15:08 PM by dylstew

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What does the tag editor show for these tracks?  What MusicBee calls "Year" IS the ID3 Date tag, so it should be processed correctly.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P

If you are using Mp3tag 2.58, there is a bug where it is not writing Date (ID3v2.3 TDAT) correctly.  I have reported this on their forum (and here  :)  ) but, unfortunately, Florian has not responded to any bug reports since Oct 2013.

ReleaseTime (ID3v2.4 TDRL) is a completely different tag.

MB will use the Date it if it exists as part of "Year", if you are using "Year (yyyy)" it won't.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

dylstew

If you are using Mp3tag 2.58, there is a bug where it is not writing Date (ID3v2.3 TDAT) correctly.  I have reported this on their forum (and here  :)  ) but, unfortunately, Florian has not responded to any bug reports since Oct 2013.

ReleaseTime (ID3v2.4 TDRL) is a completely different tag.

MB will use the Date it if it exists as part of "Year", if you are using "Year (yyyy)" it won't.

So it's bugged in mp3tag huh?
So If I go into musicbee and edit the year tag, in which way does it expect me to type in the date?
Also, will you see the date in the main panel artwork selection album information? If that's so, that would be..kind of annoying somehow.

Anti

I use a custom sort: album-artist/year. The year tag usually just contains the year Eg. 2013.
But when two albums are brought out in the same year, I use something like '2013 mar' and '2013 jul'.
Musicbee seems to understand that, and lists them properly in chronological order rather than doing the months alphabetically.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Actually, if you're using artwork view, you can just use Year (yyyy) in your album description, but use normal Year for sorting.

MusicBee understands most date formats, so unless you have a really unusual way of expressing dates, it should be fine.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
So it's bugged in mp3tag huh?
So If I go into musicbee and edit the year tag, in which way does it expect me to type in the date?
Also, will you see the date in the main panel artwork selection album information? If that's so, that would be..kind of annoying somehow.

Yes. If you check a file with a DATE tagged by Mp3tag 2.58 with Tag Inspector, you can see that it's actually writing it as TXXX/DATE.

Use 'yyyy/mm/dd' or 'dd/mm/yyyy'. Either way, MB will sort out TDAT and TYER. Just be consistent as the 'year' in the tag editor reflects how it was entered.

As scampbll said, just use 'Year (yyyy)' for display and 'Year' for sorting
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together