Author Topic: How to use the sub-grouping header  (Read 127594 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Sorry johnmillsjr,
I missed your post when I was catching up the other day :-[

I'm having a issue with Subtitles being cut off at a certain character amount with a '...'
Anyone know why?

I don't get that in 2 column view

Make sure you are using the latest 3.3 Update 2 version or it could be a bit of errant code when the view changes to 3 columns.
Narrow the window to see if it changes.

Is there a way to center the Subtitles?
Currently no. It's always left aligned.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

shemantis

I am absolutely in love with this method for visually separating Deluxe (and other "special") versions from "regular" versions of albums.
But I have run into a snag when there is a Deluxe version with TWO discs. So, if the regular version has two discs, AND the Deluxe version has two discs. This leaves me with Disc 01 and 02 showing as sub-headers, but nothing indicating the the Subtitle of "Deluxe" for the songs from the Deluxe version.
What I'd like is for it to show "Disc 01" for the songs from the "regular" Disc 01, and then (separately) "Deluxe Version, Disc 02" if an album has a Subtitle of Deluxe and a Disc 02 present.
Thank you!

Bee-liever

@shemantis
could you post your current sub-grouping header pls

shemantis

Below is a screenshot of an album wherein the "regular" album has two discs, and the Deluxe Edition has two discs; track #8 on Disc 01 here is actually from Disc 01 of the Deluxe Edition.
You can see that it "lumps" the two discs together, displaying only the Disc#, not the sub-heading I want (which I have as a Custom Tag called <Side>):

This is the Custom Tag I have set up. I sort of know what's wrong; it has to do with the fact that both the "regular" and the Deluxe editions have Disc#s present, and are therefore showing the Disc# as opposed to the <Side> tag, but I am not quite sure what to do about it:
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Disc#>,<Side>,"Disc "<Disc#>),)

What I wish it did was have the sub-heading as: "Disc 01" (with tracks from the "regular" edition below it) and then a separate sub-heading "Deluxe Edition - Disc 01" with the Deluxe Edition tracks (in this case, track #8) below that. And then the same for Disc 02.

Bee-liever

But what tag are you using to tell MB which is the 'regular' and 'Deluxe' versions?

shemantis

Ah, sorry. That's the <Side> tag. I use the <Side> tag to label Deluxe and other "special" editions, as well as which side of the tape/album older songs are on.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Below is a screenshot of an album wherein the "regular" album has two discs, and the Deluxe Edition has two discs; track #8 on Disc 01 here is actually from Disc 01 of the Deluxe Edition.
You can see that it "lumps" the two discs together, displaying only the Disc#, not the sub-heading I want (which I have as a Custom Tag called <Side>):

This is the Custom Tag I have set up. I sort of know what's wrong; it has to do with the fact that both the "regular" and the Deluxe editions have Disc#s present, and are therefore showing the Disc# as opposed to the <Side> tag, but I am not quite sure what to do about it:
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Disc#>,<Side>,"Disc "<Disc#>),)

What I wish it did was have the sub-heading as: "Disc 01" (with tracks from the "regular" edition below it) and then a separate sub-heading "Deluxe Edition - Disc 01" with the Deluxe Edition tracks (in this case, track #8) below that. And then the same for Disc 02.

Bee-liever might come up with a workaround, but I think the more pressing issue is you want your albums should display separately before you the Virtual Tag is implemented. Otherwise, the Virtual Tag has to fight against your "Define Custom Sorting" options in order to display information properly. What are your "Define Custom Sorting' --> "grouping" settings?
Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:50:10 AM by The Incredible Boom Boom

Bee-liever

Try
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Disc#>,<Side>,$IsNull(<Side>,"Disc "<Disc#>,<Side>", Disc "<Disc#>)),)

shemantis

Thank you, that does it!! Visually separates the Deluxe and "regular" editions, including their individual discs, without actually splitting them into four separate entries in the albums listing. I have a LOT of Deluxe/special editions, and I really don't want a separate entry for each one. I just want a way to identify them and their individual discs and tracks!
Now I am going to work on my sorting settings so that the Deluxe Edition doesn't appear before the "regular" edition in the list!
Thank you again!

Bee-liever

Glad I was able to help. :)
Would you pls post screenshot of the sorted album.
If it looks how I think it will look, I might change my deluxe/bonus track albums the same way.

shemantis

I gotta say, I have not really found a way to sort it that I think is "perfect."
This is the best I could manage, though I do wish it went "Disc 01" and listed the regular tracks, then "Deluxe Edition - Disc 01" and listed those tracks (as opposed to the "regular" discs being grouped together, and the "Deluxe" discs being grouped together below them).

The Incredible Boom Boom

I gotta say, I have not really found a way to sort it that I think is "perfect."
This is the best I could manage, though I do wish it went "Disc 01" and listed the regular tracks, then "Deluxe Edition - Disc 01" and listed those tracks (as opposed to the "regular" discs being grouped together, and the "Deluxe" discs being grouped together below them).

I see what you mean now, as I initially thought you had full versions of both album editions. You should revert back to your previous sorting and grouping options, so the tracks display in numerical order. Then use...

Code
$IsNull(<Side><Disc#>,,$IsNull(<Disc#>,<Side>,<Disc#>$IsNull(<Side>,, · <Side>)))

I think this will get you the result.

shemantis

I re-arranged your code a bit to suit my weird display preferences, and got this, which is perfect:

But I also ended up with this, which isn't ideal, but I can deal with it (it will come up very rarely):

I assume this is because it is sorted by Sort Artist/Year/Disc-Track#, and so because there is no Disc# present in the Beatles example, it just orders them by Track#, making the <Side> display "ungrouped." This is by no means a deal-breaker for me. I just wanted to point it out, and see if anyone had a Sort suggestion that might fix it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I assume this is because it is sorted by Sort Artist/Year/Disc-Track#, and so because there is no Disc# present in the Beatles example, it just orders them by Track#, making the <Side> display "ungrouped." This is by no means a deal-breaker for me. I just wanted to point it out, and see if anyone had a Sort suggestion that might fix it.

You could either use Disc # for Side # (might work with letters but I'm not sure), or you could just number the tracks in order, instead of by side. I do that even multi-disc sets. It's not 1-16 and 1-16, it's 1-16 and 17-32.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Ryoda

Hey I have a little issue which is mostly due to me being no good when it comes to scripting.
I set up my header to tag every disc with a simple "Disc 01, Disc 02 etc", and that works great.
But now I have a compilation with over 20 different albums and I'd like to combine it all into one, sorta like this.

"Album title"
"Artist (year)"

Disc 01 - Name of Disk 1
*title
*title
*title
Disc 02 - Name of Disk 2
*title
*title
*title

etc.

Problem is, I want all my other albums to stay the same as before. Meaning, it should only say "Disc 1", "Disc 2" etc.
I tried playing around with the <Original Album> tag to achieve this, but then all my other albums had "Disc 1 Unknown original album" instead of just "Disc1", so that obviously didn't work out.

I suppose there's an easy solution if I knew how to use the scrip language properly, but alas, I'm not clever enough.

The sub-header formula I use right now is:
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,"•  Disc "<Disc#>,)

I'd be eternally thankful if someone could help me out.

And I'd also love to know where I can actually learn how to use the script language so I can figure these things out myself in the future.

Much appreciated.

Edit: 5 minutes after I posted this, I figured out a solution for me.
I'm using
Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$IsNull(<Disc#>,Null,"• Disc "<Disc#>)" "$IsNull(<Original Album>,," ~ "<Original Album>),)

right now and I just define the <Original Album> as whatever the CD is called and the normal album is defined as the name of the compilation.

I'm sure there's a more elegant solution tho.
Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:46:59 PM by Ryoda