Author Topic: How to use the sub-grouping header  (Read 127558 times)

hiccup

Musicbrainz Picard sometimes adds a tag called 'Disc Subtitle' to my flac files. Inside the .flac file, the tag is saved under the name DISCSUBTITLE.

Have you read and tried what I suggested some 5 posts earlier? (post #54)

landcross

Have you read and tried what I suggested some 5 posts earlier? (post #54)

Whoops! I thought I read the whole topic, but I think I missed the last page  :-X

I've been 'casually' tagging music for a couple of years now. Never really looked into it; jus tagged title and author in an automated way and be done with it. Now I'm trying to archive some discs and I want them properly tagged and I started reading a bit more and it's a damn rabbit hole.

From what I understand, MP3 files use ID3 tags which have a formal standard set of tags. FLAC files on the other hand use Vorbis Comments that only have a specification of how to store the tags and not a specification of predefined tagnames. Thus, you end up with this stupid situation where program A uses tagname A and program B uses tagname B.

I've been trying to find out what the most widely accepted tagname for a disc subtitle is and I can't quite figure it out. In ID3 it's quite straight-forward (at least in ID3 v2.4): TSST for Disc/Set Subtitle. Vorbis Comments on the other hand... it looks like a split between SETSUBTITLE and DISCSUBTITLE and there isn't really a definitive type.

I also came across this mapping table: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Tag_Mapping

What I find curious there is that they're mapping TSST (which I assume stands for Set SubTitle) to WM/SetSubTitle yet they call it DISCSUBSTITLE in Vorbis Comment. Because ID3 specs call it set subtitle I'm inclined to use that too, though I personally think disc subtitle sounds more logical.

I'll try out that Picard script you posed a few posts up and I'll see what situation I end up with  ;)

hiccup

From what I understand, MP3 files use ID3 tags which have a formal standard set of tags. FLAC files on the other hand use Vorbis Comments that only have a specification of how to store the tags and not a specification of predefined tagnames. Thus, you end up with this stupid situation where program A uses tagname A and program B uses tagname B.

Since tagging protocols are usually recommendations/proposals you will encounter these kinds of different implementations.
That's where 'mapping' comes in and is key to make sure different applications and devices can talk to each other.
So you could look at mapping is a sort of translator.

MusicBrainz has it's roots in cataloging physical releases such as vinyl records, cd's etc.
So for them it made sense to use 'disk', but since we are progressing into the digital era, 'disk' is becoming less relevant, and 'set' is probably a better term with a wider use, unrestricted to any physical media.

Perhaps this sheet is useful to you in case you delve deeper into the mysterious world of tags:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=26177.0

landcross

Perhaps this sheet is useful to you in case you delve deeper into the mysterious world of tags:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=26177.0

That seems like a really useful sheet. Many thanks!  :)
Never knew tags were such a wild west. I thought they were a bit more organised/standardized.

I've got one last question: in the OP (and other images in the topic) I can see sub-groupings in the Albums (aka Album Covers) view. I can't figure it how to enable those. I can only see a subgroup option for the Album and Tracks view.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I've got one last question: in the OP (and other images in the topic) I can see sub-groupings in the Albums (aka Album Covers) view. I can't figure it how to enable those.
In the "Customise Panel..." screen for Album Covers view, there is a button "Show Settings".  When you click this you get an extra panel where you can set the sub-grouping header.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

landcross

In the "Customise Panel..." screen for Album Covers view, there is a button "Show Settings".  When you click this you get an extra panel where you can set the sub-grouping header.

*facepalm* How did I completely overlooked that button at first...
Anyway, many thanks! Works like a charm now  :)

johnmillsjr

I'm having a issue with Subtitles being cut off at a certain character amount with a '...'
Anyone know why?

Is there a way to center the Subtitles?
Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:57:42 AM by johnmillsjr

Johan_A_M

Code
$If(<Disc Count>>1,$If($And($Contains(<Genre Groups>,Classical)="T",$First(<Grouping>)="Album [Compilation]"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,$IsNull(<Conductor [surname]>,"• "<Sort Composer>" •","• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),"• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Set Subtitle>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,"• Disc "<Disc#>" •","• "<Set Subtitle>" •")),$If($And($Contains(<Path>,Classical)="T",$First(<Grouping>)="Album [Compilation]"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,$IsNull(<Conductor [surname]>,"• "<Sort Composer>" •","• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),"• "<Sort Composer>" • "<Set Subtitle>" • "<Conductor [surname]>" •"),$IsNull(<Set Subtitle>,,"• "<Set Subtitle>" •")))

A bit off-topic in this old and great thread, but I got curious about your "<Conductor [surname]>". Is this something that you split manually? I can't decide how to do with composer's names - when in a folder name, I think I want the entire name, but when e.g. in a various album, I'd much more prefer just the surname.

Bee-liever

A bit off-topic in this old and great thread, but I got curious about your "<Conductor [surname]>". Is this something that you split manually? I can't decide how to do with composer's names - when in a folder name, I think I want the entire name, but when e.g. in a various album, I'd much more prefer just the surname.

My <Conductor [surname]> is a virtual tag that will break down (up to 4 levels) the <Conductor> tag to just the surname.
Code
$IsNull(<Conductor>,,$IsNull($Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,4),$IsNull($Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,3),$IsNull($Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,2),$Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,1),$Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,2)),$Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,3)),$Split($Replace(<Conductor>," ",|),|,4)))

For composer's names, I use the sorting tags so I can use the full name with <Composer> and the surname with <Sort Composer>.
eg: Alessandro Scarlatti >==  Scarlatti, A.
     Johannes Brahms     >==  Brahms

hiccup

My <Conductor [surname]> is a virtual tag that will break down (up to 4 levels) the <Conductor> tag to just the surname.

Is there an advantage doing it this way instead of using rsplit?

$IsNull(<Conductor>,,$RSplit(<Conductor>," ",1))

Bee-liever

Is there an advantage doing it this way instead of using rsplit?

$IsNull(<Conductor>,,$RSplit(<Conductor>," ",1))

Nope. No advantage. I like that long-g-g-g way of doing it  ;D
Seriously, $RSplit wasn't available when I first created the tag, and updating it wasn't even on my radar until now.
But with your timely reminder, I'll have to put it on the list!
Thanks hiccup  :)

hiccup

Seriously, $RSplit wasn't available when I first created the tag, and updating it wasn't even on my radar until now.

Spot the dinosaurs ;-)

Bee-liever

Spot the dinosaurs ;-)

I prefer the terms "Long Time" or "Experienced" user   8)

Johan_A_M

Thank you both for your answers, I'll try to implement either of the solutions!