Author Topic: pops clicks and pics  (Read 9482 times)

mrmoustache

Hi all,

1) So Musicbee just started to act weird on me. It cannot find album art for albums anymore. Any album, any artist. Clicking "search internet for picture" just gives me the message "unable to locate any pictures for ..."

Internet connection is fine, retrieving info from wikipedia, and artist pictures in theatre mode works perfectly fine too.
Tried restarting musicbee and pc, nothing changed. It was working fine yesterday.

2) I get clicks when a song finishes and the next one starts, with 96khz flac files. Clicks and pops vary in intensity everytime.

Soundcard is an edirol FA66, output is ASIO, hardware mixing and 32 bit output are on.

Can anybody help?

Steven

• Administrator
1. use the v2.3 beta from the first topic on the forum as google artwork no longer works with v2.2
2. i probably cant help with that but i believe its usually because you have your ASIO buffer (on the ASIO device settings itself, not musicbee) too low

mrmoustache

Thx for your help Steven. I will try to up the buffer regarding the clicks.

Retrieving album art from google has been broken for a long time but I was using the other services anyway. Now it just doesn't work at all.
Will still update 2.3 to see if it fixes it.

Thx for that wonderful program that is musicbee  :)

mrmoustache

v2.3 kind of fixed the album art thing...maybe. Yesterday it was not working at all, today it works for some albums, Still can't find art for some very popular music (nevermind and in utero from nirvana among others), checked if everything is tagged correctly. Don't really know what's going on.

As for the pops and clicks, upping the buffer did not do anything but I switched from asio to primary sound driver and no more clicks.

redwing

Do you have all four providers ticked under Preferences> Tags(2)> Auto-tagging artwork providers setting?

redwing

@Steven:

Why cannot MB retrieve album covers for "Nevermind" and "In Utero" from fanart.tv (fine with other providers) ? The site has them in multiple, and MB has no problem retrieving Nirvana's other album covers from the site.

Steven

• Administrator
this has been raised before - the web api requires a musicbrainz id. There is only one matching musicbrainz id for that release and the fanart.tv web api returns no results.
Manually searching the fanart.tv site the only way i was able to find that album cover was via searching for "Nirvana" and looking for all images. Using "In Utero" as the search criteria doesnt return any matches.
I am going to contact the website admin as it seems to me not all album covers are being associated to a musicbrainz id

redwing

That's really strange. One works while the other doesn't, with the same id.

http://fanart.tv/fanart/music/5b11f4ce-a62d-471e-81fc-a69a8278c7da/albumcover/smells-like-teen-spirit-52323eff66117.jpg
http://fanart.tv/fanart/music/5b11f4ce-a62d-471e-81fc-a69a8278c7da/albumcover/in-utero-4ddaf21540819.jpg

As you suggested, maybe there's some internal problem with their database.
Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:55:25 AM by redwing

mrmoustache

Do you have all four providers ticked under Preferences> Tags(2)> Auto-tagging artwork providers setting?

Yes, only last.fm is unticked, don't care about 100*100 pics...
Checked again today and still the same, thought it might be my connection acting up (it does a lot very frequently) but things are fine on that side.

bryankook

Same problem with the pictures. Doesn't work at all, even though all providers are ticked, running version 2.3.5082.  ???

redwing

Working fine for me.

Try with the latest patch (2.3.5161):
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_3/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip
Unzip and overwrite everything to MB program folder.

Another tip is try moving Google to third or fourth provider position. Sometimes it doesn't work properly with Google at first spot.

Steven

• Administrator
Another tip is try moving Google to third or fourth provider position. Sometimes it doesn't work properly with Google at first spot.
does this still happen in the versions over the last couple of weeks?

redwing

Looks like it's working better, but didn't do an extensive test with that setup. You might want to consider moving Google to a later position by default in case some searches don't work properly.

redwing

I did more tests with Google as first artwork provider, and it didn't work very well. Overall it feels like taking more time with the setting when it really isn't simply because average download time with Google is usually longer than other sources and the user cannot see the selection dialog until Google fishes downloading. And some artworks take unusually long time to download probably due to the variety of sources with Google. Rarely, MB says it cannot find any picture, but re-running with Google as a later provider successfully finds artwork from multiple sources. Again, I would recommend to move Google to a later position by default.

Steven

• Administrator
for most new users there is only FanArt, Google and last.fm (gracenote not working for new users so i removed it from the defaults)
last.fm doesnt have high quality pictures and FanArt is ahead of Google.
Thanks for checking that google mostly works ok (other than some slowness)
Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:03:54 PM by Steven