Author Topic: Search function improvements!  (Read 5199 times)

noobu

Hello,
and thanks for a great piece of software! I'm migrating from Media Monkey, and I must say I'm quite impressed with MusicBee.

However (and it's a big "however"), although I managed to do everything I needed to do using MusicBee, including playing via ASIO (awesome!), the search function is severely lacking.

I have a 35,000+ songs in my library, so a good search function is a must. However, a lot of these songs are not tagged properly. So, when I do a simple search with "Search all Fields" checked, these songs are missed! Because the search does not, unfortunately, automatically search directory and filenames! I need to go to the Advanced Search and select Filename->contains->string, which is extremely counter-intuitive and tedious to do repeatedly.

The simple, basic search must include raw filesystem data (path, filename) by default. I propose that this should actually be the basis of the search, and the query of the tag fields should occur on top of it. There may be some options in the Preferences regarding this functionality.

I might be missing something, since I'm a MusicBee beginner, in which case please let me know. If I'm correct, please improve the search function so that it searches paths and filenames by default, the way it is now it's very confusing - I actually panicked that I accidentally deleted stuff, since I could no longer find it.

dgbx

MusicBee is awesome at filling in those missing tags.  I have over 70,000 mp3 files, well tagged, and searches are performed quite fast.

boroda

@noobu

You could use 'infer tags from filename' (right-click on selected tracks > autotag by track > infer tags from filname) command to fill missing tags, then use search as usual. Its always better to have correct tags becuase MB is tag oriented like most modern players.

Steven

• Administrator
i wont change the default behavior but i will make the field selection easier and more obvious that Url/ Filename are not included by default

noobu

Thanks for replying!

I have dabbled with the tagging functions, and they are pretty great. However, since mine is a huge collection containing a lot of old stuff, improperly tagged, or not tagged at all, it really is impractical to just go through them all and use the tagging tools on them - even if these tools definitely make the job easier, it's still an extremely tedious undertaking.

I'm not sure why file system data can't be included in the default search, at least as a fall back (i.e., "nothing found by tags, here's what I found by path/filename/url"). It doesn't hurt anyone, quite the contrary, because it's expected behaviour. Alternatively, can we have an option somewhere in Preferences to include file system parameters in the default search?

Many thanks for you great work and dedication, I can only imagine how much of those you need to create and maintain such a complex program.

Zak

• Global Moderator
It doesn't hurt anyone, quite the contrary, because it's expected behaviour.
Not by me. All my files are tagged properly so I don't want or expect file names to be included when I search for something.

It's only one click to include the file path if needed, so why does it need to be a default setting?
Bee excellent to each other...

noobu

MusicBee is the first I tried that relies solely on tags, and does not fall back to, or include results from, filenames. To each his own, I guess, regarding the default.

But how can I include the path in one click? What am I missing? As far as I can tell, I need to do CTRL-F, then select Filename->contains, then type the search string all over again, then click Execute/hit Enter. Since a sizeable chunk of my collection is old, untagged, and sometimes barely properly named, I find myself using this method much too often.

In the end, forget the default behaviour, all I'm asking for would be an option in Preferences, or in the search box dropdown, like "Search filename/path" right under "Search all Fields", and they would NOT be mutually exclusive (i.e., simply also add results from filename search where tags are missing). That's basically it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
But how can I include the path in one click? What am I missing? As far as I can tell, I need to do CTRL-F, then select Filename->contains, then type the search string all over again, then click Execute/hit Enter. Since a sizeable chunk of my collection is old, untagged, and sometimes barely properly named, I find myself using this method much too often.

Open the Search menu with the magnifying glass.  Navigate down to Other Fields, click URL.  Then when you use the search box it is included.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

noobu

Darn! That works, thank you very much! It is additive (i.e. it does not leave out results from tags), and I can select multiple "Other fields" at the same time. Wow, I don't know how I missed it, probably had my mind set on "path" and "filename" when looking at those options, and simply missed the "URL" bit. In my defence, it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

It would appear this is exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks to all.

I'll be going deeper into Music Bee, I'm pretty delighted with it so far. Some really great and unique features here, such as the waveform as song progress bar - brilliant, brilliant idea, it allow me to have a quick glance at the song sections when I want to get there, and some fast clues regarding dynamic range.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

Roadrunner

i wont change the default behavior but i will make the field selection easier and more obvious that Url/ Filename are not included by default
You've found a very good solution for the filename. With the "+ Filename" it's obvious, that it is not included in "Search All Fields" and I have the possibility to add it if needed. Perfect.

But there is another field which should be handled the same way: "Lyrics". Meanwhile I know it, but a new user cannot and for both it would be nice to be able to search in really all fields... ;)

Steven

• Administrator
the reason its not enabled by default and slightly hidden is because it adds a lot of overhead to the search (memory and speed). I might add a "+ Lyrics" and when ticked displays a warning message.

Roadrunner

the reason its not enabled by default and slightly hidden is because it adds a lot of overhead to the search (memory and speed).
It's fine like it is.

I might add a "+ Lyrics" and when ticked displays a warning message.
I don't see the need of a warning message (it's already separate, so there will be some reason to be so). But with or without message, that would be great!

When I click "Search Specific Fields" I can already combine several fields including lyrics and in my library I don't see any drawback (but of course there might be elder computers or larger libraries in the world...). By the way: Is it intentional that all so marked fields get lost as soon as I change to "Search all Fields"? I'd prefer, they would stay for reuse next time I choose "Search Specific Fields".