Author Topic: AutoDJ only plays artists from the first half of the alphabet  (Read 5693 times)

Buckstop

I'm really enjoying MusicBee, but I find that AutoDJ has a huge bias towards artists who's names begin with letters near the start of the alphabet. I'm playing my A's to death, and hearing my C's, but only occasionally make it down to K, and almost never beyond. Perhaps it would reach the Z's if I had enough patience, but after an hour or two, I'm usually ready to start a new playlist.

Is there something in the settings that I should change, or is this just the way AutoDJ works?

Thanks!

Anti

> is this just the way AutoDJ works?

No. Something is wrong.

> Is there something in the settings that I should change

I can't think of anything in the AutoDJ settings, Auto-DJ filter or shuffle settings which would play artists 'almost alphabetically'.

The only way to do it is to right-click the now playing list -> list -> sort by -> artist
But then it wouldn't be at all random; it would play all artists from A-Z and all tracks A-Z.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is there something in the settings that I should change, or is this just the way AutoDJ works?

It would help if you could show us a screenshot of your Auto-DJ settings.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Screenshot
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Buckstop

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm.  I wonder if this is an unintended consequence of the "play similar tracks" setting.  What happens if you turn that feature off?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Buckstop

scampbll,

With track selection set to "random," I get a random looking selection.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hopefully Steven can explain why that setting might be causing a problem, then.

@Steven, I can confirm this issue.  If I turn on the similar artists feature, I get artists starting with: G, I, L, A, C, A, B, C, A, A, A, N, D, A, B, B, A.  If I turn it off, I get: A, J, D, P, M, M, E, D, A, S, F, D, M, A, T, R, B, E, D.
Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:42:57 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
i have no problem with this function working for all artists. There certainly isnt any mid-alphabet cutoff

if you are using musicbee v2.2/2.3 the similar artists are saved to:
C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistData\<artistname>.similar.dat
its a semi-readable file and you should be able to see the artists MB would be trying to match

edit:
actually i can see there is an unwanted bias towards lower alhpabet letters rather than bias towards more similar artists so i will correct that
Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:33:14 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That looks a lot better to me.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Buckstop

When I run MusicBee.exe from the patch, I get this error message:

MusicBee v2.2.5064.35898 (Win6.1), 12 Nov 2013 19:04:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '#=qj8j8p2SYcfkoHNUpqdQLLw==' threw an exception. ---> System.ApplicationException: Unable to load 'C:\Users\ADMIN\Downloads\MusicBee_Exe_Patched\bass.dll'
   at #=qpBl6i8R3eKedtIdD3xegZqxB$xmE5eRAkFkZyO5wvC8=.#=qO3LRXL9XOfTEI$Gh9Np0xsBpDB4H3LB2mPSzOY1erdo=(String #=qQi6bFZz0HTNheLQ6H3QBGQ==)
   at #=qj8j8p2SYcfkoHNUpqdQLLw==..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at #=qj8j8p2SYcfkoHNUpqdQLLw==.#=qaqULOCCvPd4T7vMb0SZuKA==()
   at #=qxM9ZBmtJMF6QwSjx7zlrXHlO2HQfVnB3zvJBb4YiRGk=.#=qSdwlQWKiYE_7esj3s$O0nQ==(IntPtr #=qNwf7i24KFtOk7swymIZP3w==, ISynchronizeInvoke #=qvIuczKjffrkm8mHZ99y8wg==, Boolean #=qYmxP9NJ4ai4OqDd6D_otRw==, List`1 #=qmxfHILe54y2L02JjNsNY$A==)
   at #=qpDD_PF9NApfH0sEWzx9riSn9C0SUBpcofN4J0pPkORQ=.#=qmp2wRvN6BF18bF4JEOviSWnFGnGHAXvF$2plpT1wHdg=(IntPtr #=qdMYul9OR56cHcsxuMjQk9A==)
   at #=qhejMMePQBTBm843bUtgoCLN1gYBALRoZs0fsFbY0M6Q=..ctor(IList`1 #=qJ9DQ2g38RlVyFp5Dgwf2JQ==)
   at #=qhejMMePQBTBm843bUtgoCLN1gYBALRoZs0fsFbY0M6Q=.#=qhSCE4tn4ClURRCwX9_7gUAvC5y80roxad6Anu1wpDT0=.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs #=qhm9ef7WK67bRLBgIE9NqXg==)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You need to copy the patched files into your MusicBee directory.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Buckstop

I copied the files into the MusicBee directory, but it has not solved the problem.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You're still getting an error message?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Buckstop

I abandoned MusicBee, and this thread, a year ago without solving the problem. Today, I upgraded to the latest release, and am happy with the results. Thanks for your help!