Author Topic: Podcast handling improvements  (Read 47163 times)

Anti

You got rid of the podcast directory dialogue, Steven?

Also, I don't understand how Mikebo got the subscriptions panel to the left; my panels display vertically.

mikebo

Subscription panel seems to be following the track browser panel orientation

Anti

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Surely those should be separated?

I also can't find the podcast directory.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

mikebo

I would even argue that a horizontal layout in podcasts is unnecessary.

For me a layout like this would work best

9cupsoftea

I would even argue that a horizontal layout in podcasts is unnecessary.

+1
I agree. Scrolling space seems a lot more useful for the list-like nature than sideways space in this instance.

Steven

• Administrator
i took out podcast directory because i didnt think people would actually be using it - am i wrong about that?

it wasnt intentional that the subscription list follows the track browser orientation so i will fix that.
I guess vertical orientation will work better for people with widescreens so it should be configurable

Steven

• Administrator
5. New episodes counter should be shown only if there are new episodes (because it would make it easier to discern at a glance which subscriptions have updates). That would however leave a nasty gap between the cover and the title, so maybe the indicator could be displayed on the corner of the cover with some distinctive bg colour like red or blue.
there is an option to sort Listened Subscriptions last if you click the button to the right of the + sign
i think the layout bugs all relate to the vertical track browser orientation which is something i overlooked

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
i took out podcast directory because i didnt think people would actually be using it - am i wrong about that?

If it had a search feature I might use it a lot.  As-is, it's pretty clunky, though I have used it when I have a good idea what I'm looking for.

maybe the indicator could be displayed on the corner of the cover with some distinctive bg colour like red or blue.

+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

9cupsoftea

it wasnt intentional that the subscription list follows the track browser orientation so i will fix that.
I guess vertical orientation will work better for people with widescreens so it should be configurable

I would definitely like a search function, but only if it works well. The previous (current?) one was really clunky, and most of the podcasts I listen to weren't listed. I think the search function needs to be both comprehensive, and make it easy to subscribe to listed feeds (to take out the fuss of finding and copy pasting weird rss urls). If that can't be done effectively, though, it's probably better to just leave it out.

As I mentioned before though, rhythmbox for ubuntu has a great search function. Somehow they can search the itunes store, which is without doubt the biggest directory, and if they can do it, I'm sure it could be implemented into musicbee.

Steven

• Administrator
this should address the layout issues with vertical orientation - its now the default layout for the podcast panel. If you are finding cases where the main panel is not sizing correctly (for any node, not just podcasts) then please let me know as i had to make a change that affects all panels

http://www.mediafire.com/?w3gh8o0zcyj8faa

For the podcast directory, there is a public api for accessing the iTunes store for podcasts so i will look to intergrate that.
I am planning to provide filtering based on the iTunes podcast categories (Arts, Comedy, etc) and on selecting the category it shows all the available subscriptions along with a picture and subscribe button and ability to listen directly from the directory panel.
At this point i doubt i would be able to incorporate NPR and Digital Podcast Directory into the same panel
Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:57:40 PM by Steven

mikebo

In vertical orientation the Subscriptions list scrollbar appears only after resizing the window, switching to a different node and then back to Podcasts will make it disappear again.
Also it takes colors from Controls.ScrollBar instead of Panel.ScrollBar

9cupsoftea

I have an issue since applying this update where, when using artist view, when I drill down into album and tracks view I see this:

edit:
image removed to reduce clutter
Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:38:40 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
could you send me your settings file (help/ support/ view settings) as i cant reproduce that
edit:
dont worry - i know how to now
Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:15:53 AM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator