Author Topic: Search in multiple places.  (Read 21274 times)

Analien

I would like MB to search in multiple places. It's annoying when I'm to find a certain song or album to redo the search. Example: I'm searching the library, if the song is not there, I'll have to go to Inbox and redo the search and if it's not there either, I'll have to redo the search again in the Computer view, where I have other sources of music and places. It would be nice if one could select sources where MB should search and then indicate where it is. Eg Inbox, library or in the computerview.

Pingaware

Ambivalent towards this. So long as it's a feature that you have to select I don't mind, but I personally like MB's current way of doing individual searches in each source.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This had been discussed a lot before.  I would really like this feature too.  I think the biggest challenge is how to display results from multiple sources.

The simplest solution I remember seeing was to keep the search parameter in place while moving between sources.  That way you can quickly click through until you find it.

-Edit-
Here's one of the previous discussion on the topic: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8534.0
Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:10:33 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
this allows searching across the entire library (music, audiobooks and inbox).. To enable click the search button and choose "Entire Library".
The matching tracks are displayed in an auto-opened "Search Results" node. The node closes when the search box is reset.
Please use on the basis its barely been tested and i know there will be some flaws using the right click options on the "Search Results" node in the left panel which i will look at in the next couple of days

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
*tests*

Hurray!!! *waves pompoms*

...now we just need a skinning element for the search icon... *ducks*

Also, I'm glad you've been able to work on something besides fixing bugs.  :)
Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:59:17 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Thanks for adding another great feature!

No display of the "node" of tracks in search results yet.
Maybe big headings like <Music Library>, <Audiobooks>, <Inbox> over each group of tracks with a little left margin?
But then, sorting by other fields could make them look messy with big headings all over the place.
Or, inserting "node" field as the first column and sorting tracks by the field by default?
That might look better when sorted by other fields.
Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:00:25 AM by redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
But then, sorting by other fields could make them look messy with big headings all over the place.
Or, inserting "node" field as the first column and sorting tracks by the field by default?
That might look better when sorted by other fields.

Yeah, I wouldn't want a heading, but a little icon to indicate source or something like that would be nice.  Something similar to the (!) icon for missing tracks, maybe, with mouseover text?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Great idea! Maybe use the same icons in left navigator for the node field?
Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:11:01 AM by redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Looks like the node could use a little display tweaking yet.  No rush, just reporting.  If I shift+delete tracks from the search node, I have to rescan or refresh before they disappear.  Also, it will not do Album and Tracks view.  Says it's in Album & Tracks, but still shows Track Details.  I can use a saved album & tracks view, though.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
one thing i forgot to mention is uses Track Details view only. How do people feel about it using the layout of the current node instead?
When the search results are closed it goes back to Music node, i will change it so it goes back to the old current node

redwing

Would be great if it uses the same layout of the current node. And it can switch to any layouts, assuming people would do various things with the search result tab including managing tracks in track details layout and just listening to albums in artwork layout.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
one thing i forgot to mention is uses Track Details view only. How do people feel about it using the layout of the current node instead?

I don't mind it being just track details, but in that case the fact I could get it to show artwork view was the issue.  :)  If it's going to have a changeable layout, then I think it should work just like any other node in that respect.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

So is this gonna have numerous search history nodes under the "Search Results" node to look up and to be removed by the user? Or just one most recent search result?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
So is this gonna have numerous search history nodes under the "Search Results" node to look up and to be removed by the user? Or just one most recent search result?

I would not want this.  MB would have to guess at when you were done typing your search, or you would have to always type first and then hit enter/press a button .  Media Monkey has a "feature" like this and it drove me batty because my sidebar would get cluttered with search results, many of which were partial or typos.

Maybe a better alternative would be the ability to save a search to the search menu on command, or even to save a search as a filter or auto-playlist.

p.s  The idea of using the layout of original node is growing on me.  But I would want to be able to change it once I searched.
Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:56:26 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Yeah, saving partial search queries would be useless. What I had on my mind was custom search queries, which would take some time to re-create next time. I remember there have been several requests for such feature.

But now I think, as you suggested, it would be better if the user can choose what to save. How about a right-click menu item of "Save the current search results query" when user's right-clicking on the tab header or the node in left navigator? Then MB creates a sub-node with the title of the search query under the node. The user can always access those sub-nodes and remove any if they are no longer needed. Of course, filters and auto-playlists can do the same thing, but this would be a very simple and casual way to save.

<Added>
Then, how to replicate one of the previous complex custom searches just with a slight change in query? Click on the saved sub-node. What MB does is re-searching with the exact saved search query. Then if you open the custom search dialog from the magnifying glass icon, you will get the dialog filled with the previous query since MB already remembers the last query for the custom search. Then what's only needed to add is to autofill search box with the search query to help editing when the user clicks on one of the sub-nodes which was not a custom search.
Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:58:49 AM by redwing