Author Topic: Matching images for soundtracks  (Read 112322 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I have the feeling that version 2.2 will soon be released and I was wondering if it would be useful to you if I thoroughly tested this feature again, as there are a few things that I wanted to check. I'd do it this week if you think it's OK, unless you're busy at the moment and you're not planning to spend more time on the Download Tool in the near future. In that case, I'd wait.
i havent decided as yet. Please use and test as you wish - i will treat any reported issue the same as any other. In most cases i will try and fix but some cases i wont do a fix for various reasons

vivadavid

Understood, Steven. If I find something, I'll report it as usual.

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

the Theater Mode plugin has been updated to also search for movie images as with the compact player. It needs the latest musicbee.exe to work

vivadavid

Thanks, Steven. It works, for example, in Artist frames v.1.3, but not in Album and artist: is this expected?

Also, I'd like to make two requests:

1. The Ban feature.
2. The Next button (I take this opportunity to kidnly ask again for a Previous button, which some people found interesting when I first suggested it).

redwing

It seems that it's not supported pasting soundtrack pics directly to compact player or Playing Track tab. If I copy a custom pic to clipboard, I can see "Paste Artist Picture" right-click menu item. But that opens up artist pic folder with artist name template. Would be nice if it supports pasting soundtrack pics with movie title template. Also there's no way to add custom soundtrack pics with Artwork Downloader Tool.

redwing

Would be great if somebody could write up a How-To guide for MB's soundtrack feature since this has grown up to the point where some guide would be useful both for new users and for experienced users. If nobody helps, then I guess scampbll or myself will have to do that eventually for the wiki. Let us know if anybody is willing to do so.

vivadavid

Hello, Steven,

For a long time, I’ve meant to give another look to the Download Tool, and I’m sorry I couldn’t do it earlier. I would have liked to be even more thorough, but at least, I wanted to provide a few suggestions, hoping you’ll find them useful. I’ll describe step by step what I’ve done:

ARTIST PICTURES

1. I deleted the 'Artist images' and 'Soundtrack pictures' folders, as well as SavedSountrackMappings.dat, to make sure I started clean.
2. I allowed MB time to download the artist pictures and load them on the main screen for the first time.
3. I ran the Download Tool to search for artist images.
4. The images were displayed, as usual, in four different categories:

a. No match found.

b. 1 item: this is shown when the image found is exactly the one that MB has already downloaded on the main screen.

c. 2 items: the first image corresponds to the picture already downloaded and the second one, to a different, bigger one.

At this point, my suggestion would be for the Download Tool to display, in the first place, all the artists with 1 item, and right after that, all the artists with 2 (or more) items, as in fact, it is in this second group where the user has to make a decision (this way, he could quickly ignore all the artists with 1 item, where there’s nothing else to do).

d. Image already downloaded: so far, the only picture I can see is the current one (it seems MB can’t download the preview for any of the websites):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17615125/foros/Musicbee/01%20already%20downloaded.png

5. After running the Download Tool, I went back to the main screen and I checked that one picture I had personally pasted and another picture with a bigger size that I had selected were, in fact, updated, on the artist list, which was the case.

6. I ran the Download Tool again and the list only displayed my current artist, and not all them, unlike what I had seen in previous versions of MB. Even if I clicked on "All" on the Artist column:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17615125/foros/Musicbee/02%20artist%20all.png

I got, in the Download Tool list, only the current artist:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17615125/foros/Musicbee/03%20only%20current%20artist.png

It’s not the end of the world, as you just have to press <CTRL> + <A> to select all the artists, but I guess a regular user would expect the Download Tool to automatically display all the artists if he’s already clicked on 'All' on the Artist column of the main screen.

MOVIE BACKDROPS

1. As with the artist images, the first time you run the application, the Download Tool displays the full list, but the second time, it only displays the current album, meaning that you have to press <CTRL> + <ALT> beforehand.

2. This is something I mentioned before and you didn’t agree with me, Steven, but I’m going to try again to my make my point. I’ll put an example: there is a Japanese TV series called 'A cloud on the slope', of which I have two soundtracks: 'A cloud on the slope (Saka No Ue No Kumo) (vol. 2)' and 'A cloud on the slope (Saka No Ue No Kumo) (vol. 3)'. MB can’t match the titles, and if I type in both cases 'A cloud on the slope' or ' Saka No Ue No Kumo', MB can’t find anything either. I personally downloaded several pictures on this series, and if I call them:

A cloud on the slope
A cloud on the slope 01
A cloud on the slope 02
etc.

MB doesn’t display the images because they don’t match the album titles. Would it be possible to implement something, so that, for example, 'A cloud on the slope (Saka No Ue No Kumo) (vol. 3)' could be linked to 'A cloud on the slope' to avoid having to keep two sets of the same exact pictures?

ARTIST BACKDROPS

1. This doesn’t have to do with the Download Tool, but I guess it’s related. I didn’t like the backdrops of Yui Aragaki found by MB and I downloaded some, which I placed in the Artist images folder, under these names:

Yui Aragaki.jpg
Yui Aragaki 01.jpg
Yui Aragaki 02.jpg
Yui Aragaki 03.jpg
Yui Aragaki 04.jpg

To my surprise, MB didn’t start with Yui Aragaki.jpg, but with Yui Aragaki 01.jpg, which means that maybe I should add a number to all my images. However, the main problem is that MB only displays Yui Aragaki 01.jpg and Yui Aragaki.02.jpg, and then it shows images that it finds on the internet, ignoring Yui Aragaki 03.jpg, Yui Aragaki 04.jpg and Yui Aragaki.jpg.

Please let me know if you want me to test something else. I thank you in advance for your time and dedication.

I’d like to say, once more, that the Download Tool is a fantastic tool that greatly enhances the whole experience of enjoying your music. Thanks for that!

vivadavid

@Steven,

I know you're busy dealing with many things at the same time, but I just wanted to know if you read my long message above.

@Redwing

I've never written anything like that before, but if the Download Tool is complete (I made some comments to Steven in my previous message) and if I can be of any help, I'll do my best.

Steven

• Administrator
@vivadavid, thank you for spending the time testing it. I dont plan to change anything around the tool at least for this version

vivadavid

Thanks, Steven: I hope you consider my suggestions for a future update. I'll remind them to you in a couple of months if it's OK for you.

Now that I know you won't be making changes soon, I'll resume the process of getting the images I need.

redwing

@Redwing

I've never written anything like that before, but if the Download Tool is complete (I made some comments to Steven in my previous message) and if I can be of any help, I'll do my best.

That'd be wonderful! I'm sure you will do a great job since you know this feature inside out. Thanks for doing this!

vivadavid

@redwing

Can you send me the link of a model text to have it as an example? Are there any rules I need to follow, any particular format?

So what we need is basically a tutorial step by step, right?

redwing

Well, there's no such formal format. Just imagine a new user who wants to use MB's soundtrack feature but has no clue. So you're basically trying to guide this user to the new feature step by step. Use as many screenshots as needed because they really help. Other than that, everything is up to you. Once you post it on How-To section, scampbll could utilize it for the wiki. Thanks again for doing this! People will appreciate it.