Author Topic: Matching images for soundtracks  (Read 111934 times)

redwing

I think the downloader tool is still being developed, but modern compact player already displays movie pics with "Soundtrack" in genre field and a movie title in album field.
I even posted some screenshots of the new feature: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9430.msg62650#msg62650
Those pics were all retrieved by MB.

vivadavid

I've had a problem with MB and the antivirus and I'll need to reboot my PC to check out the latest beta, but I'll definitely do it it later.

I've never used the Downloader tool, but hopefully it'll be intuitive.

What I'm not sure about is if Steve has implemented (or if he's going to) a way to guess the title of a film in case the album tag has expressions like "the original soundtrack", etc.

redwing

This is what he said about it that's not implemented yet.

It would prompt for the name of the movie when Soundtrack is tagged in the genre and wasnt able to make a match.

redwing

I understand this work is still in the middle of development. One thing I noticed with the current version is that MB's retrieving movie pics for a while, and then all of sudden it starts retrieving artist pics of the same track, then it returns to movie pics again. And the variety of movie pics looks a little limited, overall. I'd like it to retrieve movies pics only for soundtrack genre tracks, and hopefully more varied pics. My guess is that the retrieval of artist pics might be responsible for the limited variety of movies pics by interrupting its movie pics retrieval process in the middle, which makes it to retrieve the same pics again later.
Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:27:15 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
I understand this work is still in the middle of development. One thing I noticed with the current version is that MB's retrieving movie pics for a while, and then all of sudden it starts retrieving artist pics of the same track, then it returns to movie pics again. And the variety of movie pics looks a little limited, overall. I'd like it to retrieve movies pics only for soundtrack genre tracks, and hopefully more varied pics. My guess is that the retrieval of artist pics might be responsible for the limited variety of movies pics by interrupting its movie pics retrieval process in the middle, which makes it to retrieve the same pics again later.
if any soundtrack images are found it now restricts to soundtrack images only. Previously it mixed soundtrack and artist pictures randomly. However i have seen quite a few cases where there are not that many images available and i dont think anything can be done other than you adding your own images.

redwing

When artist is the same as the previous track, MB doesn't recognize the playing track is from a different movie (different album name), keep displaying movie pics of the previous track both for playing track panel and compact player. This is how it works for non-soundtrack music (the same artist with different albums), but has to be different for soundtrack music.

Steven

• Administrator
this has the Artwork downloader tool (Tools/ Download Artwork)
its done for artist thumb pictures and for movie sound track images. I will also do album covers which will be implemented with the same workflow as artist thumbs.
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

for artist thumbs:
- by default MB will only tick the artists from the selected files that have no thumb pictures, but you can select the artist again if you want to preview all the available pictures
- you can choose to preview the matching thumb pictures or have MusicBee select the first matching picture
- if previewing, choose one of the displayed thumb pictures
- you can either click "Save" to save the previewed pictures only or "Save All" to save all pictures where MusicBee will select a default picture for the ones not previewed

for movie images sound track files:
- you can have MusicBee filter the selected files for genre "Soundtrack" (it also includes "Musical")
- MusicBee will attempt to locate images for the album of each file
- if none are found, you will be presented with a dialog to enter the movie name and redo the search
Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:06:31 PM by Steven

vivadavid

Hello, Steven,

Thanks: I was looking forward to this feature! Here are some comments:

1. After running the Download Tool for my soundtracks, I have more than 4 gigas of space occupied by the images. On the one hand, it’s great to have all the images downloaded in case you are off-line, but for some people, this space taken could be too much. Therefore, some users might appreciate to be given the choice of limiting the Download Tool to those album titles that aren’t recognized are film titles. For the other album titles, those which are correctly identified, MB could just do as it does with artist images: it could download the images one by one and store only one in the cache folder.

2. In those cases where users do want to download the images for all the album titles, would it be possible to set a limit on the number of images per album? Depending on the availability, there are cases where I have 2 images and cases where I have more than 100. Of course, you can always manually choose those you prefer and delete the others.

3. Here’s a possible bug I found:

a. I ran the Download Tool once to find film pictures.
b. After going through all the album titles, it requested the names of some films.
c. I typed "Aladdin" for "Aladdin [special edition]" and it found some images.
d. I closed MB and deleted all the film pictures to check if MB remembered that it had to link "Aladdin [special edition]" to "Aladdin".
e. I ran the Download Tool again.
f. It didn’t download the images for album "Aladdin [special edition]", though it did remember that it corresponded to the film "Aladdin" (in fact, the status, before running the tool, wasn’t "No match found", but "No images found for movie"). MB should have directly downloaded the images, as it did recognize the title, or at least, the album should have appeared on the list of film titles not found.

4. I currently have more than 9000 images in the Soundtrack Pictures folder. Would it be worth considering creating a folder for each film?

5. I’ve noticed there’s a file called SavedSountrackMappings.dat, so I presume that, if you keep it, we won’t need to type the titles again if we have a new installation: that’d save us a lot of time.

6. The Download Tool looks for artist pictures not only in those cases where there are no pictures available, but also in those cases where the thumb found is a small PNG measuring 126x126 (that is, when no JPEG file is created in the folder set in Tags(1) ). This is a good choice, as it’s always better to try to find high resolution images, but I was wondering if, in the list of artists, there could be way to indicate when there are no pictures at all (maybe using the red colour?) to distinguish it from the scenario where there’s at least a low-resolution image.

7. It’d be useful to be able to sort the table by Status, so that we can quickly know where there are images available: otherwise we need to scroll one by one all the way down. Or MB could just show, as it does with film titles, only the problematic cases.

8. You said that you were considering giving the option of downloading just landscape images, an option that I’d love to have, though this would mean that no posters are displayed.

9. When looking for artist thumb pictures, in the vertical scroll-bar, the little triangle looking down is missing and there’s a strange bar below the list of artists:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17615125/foros/Musicbee/triangle.png

I think that’s all. I hope these comments are useful. Thank you, Steve, for enriching the experience of using MB with this great feature.

Steven

• Administrator
1. After running the Download Tool for my soundtracks, I have more than 4 gigas of space occupied by the images.
delete the AppData/*Temp folder - i accidentally left the removal of that folder commented out and should free up a lot of space

vivadavid

Steve, there's only a AppData\TempDownloadedArtwork folder, but it has only 1 mega and 74 files. The 4.4 gigas are in AppData\Soundtrack Pictures, as set by me in Tags (1).

Steven

• Administrator
1. After running the Download Tool for my soundtracks, I have more than 4 gigas of space occupied by the images. On the one hand, it’s great to have all the images downloaded in case you are off-line, but for some people, this space taken could be too much. Therefore, some users might appreciate to be given the choice of limiting the Download Tool to those album titles that aren’t recognized are film titles. For the other album titles, those which are correctly identified, MB could just do as it does with artist images: it could download the images one by one and store only one in the cache folder.
i agree and will change it so it downloads one picture only into the cache and makes use of the movie mapping to find more as the song plays

Steven

• Administrator
this has the following changes:
- only one image is downloaded to the cache for soundtracks, any other available ones are dynamically downloaded as the track plays using any movie name mapping you might have entered
- album covers is now implemented with the same preview workflow as artist thumbs (you might want to recheck your Tags(2) preferences for fanart.tv if you dont already have that site included)
- a couple of bugs fixed

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

mrad

To clarify...

For a file to trigger the new movie lookups by default (i.e. no "name mapping" - w/e that is) ...

(a) the genre must be set to 'soundtrack' or 'musical'

(b) the genre may contain 'soundtrack' or 'musical'. e.g. 'classical; soundtrack', 'hip-hop; soundtrack'

1) is (a) or (b) true ?

2) are there any other triggers ? (e.g. path contains)

3) is "OST" acceptable as a term ?

Thanks
Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:32:53 PM by mrad

vivadavid

Hello, Steve,

Thank you for the new beta. Here are some comments:

1. ARTIST PICTURES

a. The problem with the bottom triangle not being displayed has been fixed. I understand now what the "strange" bar was: its purpose is to select the artist image we want. Sorry I didn’t get it before, though I don’t know if it’s clear for the users.

b. As I said the other day, regarding the 126x126 artist images that exist in the cache as PNG files, but not in my Artist Pictures folder as JPEG files, the Download Tool warns the user that those JPEG files don’t exist, even if MB is displaying the PNG images. I like this behaviour, partly because I want to have those JPEG files, and partly because the Download Tool can find a higher resolution image in a different server.

I have a question, though, and I’ll put an example. There was already a PNG files for Akiko Yano in the cache, so her picture was displayed in MB, and when I ran the Download Tool, MB found a JPEG exactly like the PNG I’ve just mentioned. I saved it, it’s now in the Artist Pictures folder, but what happens if one day there’s a higher resolution image for this artist? Will MB say that there’s already a JPEG for Akiko Yano and no image is needed or will it offer the higher resolution image so that the user can save it?

2. SOUNDTRACK PICTURES

a. As you said, only one picture is downloaded now for every film. I wonder if there’ll be somebody who would like to be given the chance to download all the images. Somehow I wish I could, but so far my hard drive isn’t that big.

b. If you run the Download Tool for the first time, then click on Cancel because you don’t have the time to type the titles and, some time later, you run it again to type them, MB goes through all the albums once more, which, in my case, takes a lot of time, as most of my albums are scores. I don’t know if MB downloads the JPEGs again, but it certainly checks every title, given the time it takes.

c. It’d be great if SavedSountrackMappings.dat could be edited by the user. I’m thinking about those cases where, for example, you might misspell the title and accidentally press ENTER before you can correct the error. If it could be a CSV file, that would be quite easily modified. This might be a nuisance for you to implement, but I’m doing some wishful thinking here.

I don’t use the Download Tool with album covers, so hopefully somebody will be able to check this.

I hope these comments are useful. Thanks again!