Author Topic: Venthe's Rants and Wishes  (Read 2461 times)

Venthe

From the very beginning,
Hello!
As it is my first post here :)

Allow me to write little preface:
I was long-standing user of Winamp. Due to lack of updates and general neglecting of userbase, I was bound to search for my new, ultimate tool. Conditions were simple - customization and library.

My rants, wishes, and ideas - part one:

Dupe finder:
Duplicate finder is lacking one basic function - playing songs straight from it. Tags may match, but one version could be a remix (Even with same length!). Another thing, straightly from my needs, is prioritizing in suggestions. Currently, as far as I am aware of, songs are prioritized by quality. I operate on pretty large library (40k+), and I tried to merge batch of files, that may or may not have duplicates. I'll try to sketch how my lib works:
Several folders, named by 'general content'
Folder unsorted.
Strictly speaking, I would be interested in option to prioritize path (But, in general manner, it could be used with conjunction of already proven-and-working system of search/filter query maker) - to merge my unsorted folder with already sorted library.

Auto-tag:
One thing that bugs me is something that I was really fond of in Winamp - AFTER tagging you could then choose which fixes to apply. In MB you are shooting blindly. Another thing - ability to cross reference 'new tags' with lyrics, and playing from tagger - could be a nice touch in uncertain files

General file managing:
As I have said before, my Lib is pretty big. And whenever I delete a file, player freezes for a long periods of time; Up to minute. When moving;organizing whole process takes literally a second; But it keeps waiting at the last file in batch (Updating library?) for around same, long period. Strangely enough, when I delete files from 'now playing' playlist there is no hang up at all, and library is updating instantly.

Library:
Straight thing - ability to disable semicolon as artist separator. I personally dislike this; And ability to disable this shouldn't make any big difference.
Filters - I've described briefly how my lib is organized. I have several filters set with condition of path. I would really like to see an ability to select multiple filters at once. (It would really help with targeted dedupe'ing!)

Music playing:
Another big thing that bugs me since my switch - long time between clicking a file in explorer and actually playing it. I am fairly certain, that one of the admins here, on this forum, explained that it is a matter of DLL hook existing in Winamp. This would be really nice, because sometimes I just want to quickly check up files/compare, even when they are not in my library

boroda

Another big thing that bugs me since my switch - long time between clicking a file in explorer and actually playing it. I am fairly certain, that one of the admins here, on this forum, explained that it is a matter of DLL hook existing in Winamp. This would be really nice, because sometimes I just want to quickly check up files/compare, even when they are not in my library
If you want to use MB as music player (not as music manager) executed from windows expolorer, then its a bad choice. MB startup time cant be reduced significantly because MB is a .net application and must be compiled every time it starts.

I would recommend you to use MB as music manager and for playing from windows explorer to use some lightweight player without managing/organizing capabilities, eg. Windows Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

Venthe

If you want to use MB as music player (not as music manager) executed from windows expolorer, then its a bad choice. MB startup time cant be reduced significantly because MB is a .net application and must be compiled every time it starts.

I would recommend you to use MB as music manager and for playing from windows explorer to use some lightweight player without managing/organizing capabilities, eg. Windows Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

Thanks for the reply, but I think I haven't explained clearly enough - MusicBee sits as a running app all the time; But even then files are sent to player with huge lag. First start is not an issue here