Author Topic: last.fm scrobbling showing up, but not recorded  (Read 2844 times)

abrax

I'm using MusicBee for listening to my CD collection from my desktop PC and found this strange behavior:
When I'm listening to a track and check the scrobbles in last.fm, I'm seeing the given song scribbling. However, after skipping/listening through and advancing to the next track, the track doesn't stay in the history, as other items from Tidal or Spotify do, and as I see, neither there's an impact on last.fm stats. So it seems that the connection between MusicBee and last.fm works but last.fm doesn't record those scrobbles in its history.
Is anyone else facing similar, or having an idea?

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you searched the forum for similar issues?
It's also quite possible that last.fm is down, so you should try again in a while.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

abrax

Have you searched the forum for similar issues?
It's also quite possible that last.fm is down, so you should try again in a while.

Yes, I did, found a number of last.fm issues but not this one.  last.fm scrobbles are just fine for other apps I'm using (Tidal, Spotify, Android scrobbler), and the fact that if I check my account in last.fm, it immediately shows me the track I'm listening to in MB suggests that the connection is just fine; I have a feeling that some other action is not involved that would suggest to last.fm that the given track is played. Like when you just start listening to a song but then switch to another - and then last.fm (or the player) considers it not played through, and doesn't submit it as a played song. I don't know the exact background, but I have a feeling that something like this might be involved.

Steven

• Administrator
MB follows the last.fm rules for submitting a scobble, so if you skip before the track is half complete then it wont be scrobbled.
Also if you are playing from a CD, it is possible there is a bug as its not something i have ever tested. I am not sure when i will be able check that

abrax

MB follows the last.fm rules for submitting a scobble, so if you skip before the track is half complete then it wont be scrobbled.
Also if you are playing from a CD, it is possible there is a bug as its not something i have ever tested. I am not sure when i will be able check that
Yes I think it's a bug. I just experimented a bit, listened to a few songs from my mp3 library, and those scrobbles get submitted unless I skip early. For CDs, even if I listen to the whole CD and play each song through without skipping, the scrobbles aren't submitted.

I'm using the latest Windows Store version BTW: 3.4.8033 Store

abrax

Is there a way to tackle this in an upcoming release, please? Musicbee is the only music player that can read my audio CDs properly + has a last.fm integration (Windows sucks at identifying Audio CDs, and most of the other music players don't even recognize audio CDs). Since I listen to lots of CDs, having this done properly would be awesome.

phred

• Global Moderator
Since the Store version doesn't get fixes/updates as frequently as the Installer and the Portable versions, I suggest downloading and installing the Portable verison as a test. Be sure to place it in a directory outside of Windows control. Use something like c:\MusicBee.

If the Portable works the get rid of the Store version and live happily ever after.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

abrax

Since the Store version doesn't get fixes/updates as frequently as the Installer and the Portable versions, I suggest downloading and installing the Portable verison as a test. Be sure to place it in a directory outside of Windows control. Use something like c:\MusicBee.

If the Portable works the get rid of the Store version and live happily ever after.

Well, both the Windows Store and the portable versions are the same: 3.4.8033

phred

• Global Moderator
Well, both the Windows Store and the portable versions are the same: 3.4.8033
Except there have been patch updates to the Portable and Installer versions and not to the Store. Plus 3.5 is available via a patch to 3.4.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AbridgedPause

I, too, have noticed this issue over the last several months. It's annoying as hell! I'm using MusicBee version 3.4.8033 right now but it was happening with the last version as well (I actually only updated it to see if it would solve the Last.fm problem, but it did not). Even if a song is 99% played and I just skip the empty silence at the end, it's not getting scrobbled (and the now playing scrobble is not registered). This bug is unrelated to the 50% scrobbling rule because this is happening with a ton of my plays. It also has nothing to do with Last.fm being down, because this is consistently happening. I've noticed that, in MusicBee, if I sign out and back into the Last.fm scrobbler at the bottom right corner, sometimes my undocumented plays will suddenly appear in Last.fm. But that doesn't work all the time.

Steven

• Administrator
What does help/support/view scrobble log say for the track in question?

edit:
tried now and no issues as long as more than 50% played. You are using the Next Track button to skip?
Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:37:37 AM by Steven

abrax

I gave up trying after the last conversation, but I have a similar experience.
After installing the portable/patch, mentioned above, I was happy to see that the first CD I played got scrobbled properly. But on either the next CD or the next start of the app, was back on square one.

I also tried logging out/back in and it indeed helped a few times, now it doesn't help either.

BTW, I'm not skipping tracks, but listening to entire albums. And last.fm login/connection seems to be fine, as the currently played song is showing up as "Scrobbling now" in last.fm, it just never gets recorded/into history when the next track begins.

Steven

• Administrator
After installing the portable/patch, mentioned above, I was happy to see that the first CD I played got scrobbled properly. But on either the next CD or the next start of the app, was back on square one.
i have never been able to reproduce this issue with CD tracks. I am not willing to spend more time on investigating CD scrobbling issues so if its an important issue to you, you will need to use another player

abrax

i have never been able to reproduce this issue with CD tracks. I am not willing to spend more time on investigating CD scrobbling issues so if its an important issue to you, you will need to use another player

Well, with this approach, I'm not willing to use this player anymore.

Steven

• Administrator