Author Topic: Organising Your Music Library  (Read 7396 times)

Harley Vague

For at least 30 years I have collected, collated and organised my music library resulting in about 300 GB.
I started with Musicmatch and the iTunes. This was written as a general guide before moving to Musicbee.

1. The first requirement is to name your folders and track filenames correctly because if you change them later that upsets the links to that music file.
2. You should have a hierarchical organisation. e.g. Classic Rock > Rolling Stones Albums > Individual Albums + Miscellaneous Singles.
3. Track names should be Artist - Title. It’s amazing how easy it is to get confused if you only have the track number and title. I’m pedantic and all track names follow the same format down to removing underscores, including capitals etc. CD’s usually only tag by track number and song title.
4. Once you have your music files organized then you can approach your music manager. Enter all the information you have available. Title, artist, album are necessities but year, track #, bit rate will help you later. This should be done automatically but often you’ll have to edit the information for the correct format.
5. Use a music manager that allows SMART playlists. This will allow your playlists to be dynamic and forever transferable.
    Musicbee  actually stores your smart list criteria in a file.
6. The next step is to get smart. Classifying your music is the tricky bit. Genre just doesn’t cut it except for clear cases like classical, reggae or country etc.    There are too many variants of rock, jazz and blues etc. And what about energy ? How do you choose easy listening, upbeat, party dance etc. with just one genre description in the genre field ?
7. I use a music field that is permanent. For example “rating” only resides locally and is not transferable. I use the music field “comments” and I place data in that field and then use that for searches and the creation of playlists, by using the search function alone. I use a shorthand notation to list a comprehensive series of elements describing the music sound. It’s an open ended system where more is better so to speak.
I would start with something simple that describes genre, style, rating and energy.
8. I can pull up the most obscure playlist at a moments notice, not by a named playlist but by searching on one or a number of parameters.  It’s all because I have rated and described my music as I listened to it.
9. I started with the ‘$’ symbol as a measure of popularity. $ = good, $$ = very good, $$$= hit , ^ excellent, @ party,  _ easy listening ~ instrumental
Now, I have expanded information to major instruments, ethnicity, language and dance types. For example (cl) is clarinet, =de is for German, {bn} is for bossa nova etc.
Rammstein - Du  haust Mich,                |||=de.me^^^.m@`.vm.$$$  deutsch, male vocal, Europen metal, metal party.
Tina Turner - Nutbush                              ||.sm^.d@`.fu^^^.vf`.$$$    female vocal, funky, motown, disco party
Beach Boys - Do it again                           |.su^^^.u@^.vm.$$$          male vocal, surf music, surf party
Richard Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries   !~oc^^^.op.$$$ [c]            powerful, instrumental, orchestral, opera
Kenny Rogers - Gambler                          _|.cw^.cr^.vm.$$$              male vocal, country, crooner
ABBA - Waterloo                                        ||.rp^[email protected].$$$                 female vocal, rock/pop, pop dance
Alter Ego - Why Not                                ~||.e@^.ee^.tr^^.al.hp^$$    instrumental, electronic rock/dance, trance, hip hop
Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral            |||.ps^.sp.gg.mh^.vm.$$$  male vocal, psychedelic, guitar riffs, heavy metal

hiccup

Thanks for sharing your experience and workflow!

If this system works for you, that's all that matters.
But I can't help wondering, why using all these 'code' abbreviations?
Wouldn't it be much easier to just use dedicated tags for all this?
E.g. 'language', 'country', 'energy', 'instruments', 'vocals', 'keywords', etc.?
searching the forum:    method 1   ·   method 2   ·   method 3                            latest MusicBee patches:   here                            all virtual tag functions:   here

Harley Vague

If this system works for you, that's all that matters.
But I can't help wondering, why using all these 'code' abbreviations?
Wouldn't it be much easier to just use dedicated tags for all this?
E.g. 'language', 'country', 'energy', 'instruments', 'vocals', 'keywords', etc.?

This is actually the "short" story and the system has had many evolutions.
So let's get practical - you want to list to some music - some type of music or even develop a playlist.
I can type =fr for french vocals and Edith Piaff will be prominent and her best songs will appear with $$$ and some vf^ (excellent female vocal).
if I simply want some easy listening than I can type _ or add a genre .cw .cr .po .rs
If I want Australian music then + (Southern Cross) and the type of rock .rr .hh. add @ if i want to dance to it.  add .gr for guitar riffs
OR any combination, by adding ^ I get the best (I try to be impartial as I can) Most of my smart playlist are written as "comments containing"  then  .bb^  .bl^ . ca^  .zz^

So why not use separate tags ? That would require separate fields and searching across separate fields.
So why not use words?  That simply takes too long to type. I wanted the shortest "shorthand" that started with unique characters ~`@#$%^&*(){}:<>?
The unique characters ~`@#$%^&*(){}:<>? were added to by unique letters qq yy uu pp hh jj kk zz xxvv
Then it became evident that by adding delineators that would make more sense hence .aa .ab .bb etc

Yes, people say, "but I've got spotify" or I have my own music and my own playlists.
Well, I don't need any connection. I can search and listen to any music easily with minimal effort.
It's fully transferable and Musicale even allows smart playlists to be transferred. I can set up a clone simply with data transfer.
Probably the best feature for me is the Musicale scan feature which gives an immediate update.
When I want to update my iPod I have to clear iTunes and build from scratch (so as not to miss any changes)