Author Topic: When streaming from MB via Bluetooth to another device, no metadata is shown  (Read 434 times)

aussie43

When I play music on the MB player on my desktop PC, and send it (stream it) via Bluetooth to my new digital radio with display, it does not show the music file metadata - the album art, album name, artist.
I have exact copies of my music files on my Galaxy S22 phone, and when I stream from it to the radio, the metadata is shown OK.

I bought a new USB Bluetooth adapter with version 5, for my PC but that did not help.   So I think the problem is somewhere in the Music Bee. Or could it be Windows 10?
The MB version is 3.3.7491.  (I am scared to update because it sounds too complicated, and my MB library is perfect - except for this problem.)
I tried the Player output in WASAPI shared and exclusive, in DirectSound, with Sound Device set to Primary Sound Driver, or Speakers, or Speakers (2) - which shows the digital radio connected via BT,  - but no metadata.

Any idea, please?

Edit -  I tried to play the file using the Windows Media Player, but that does help either - no metadata.  
So it works from and Android device (Android 14), but not from a player on Windows 10 PC.  
What can I do?

aussie43

I tried VLC, it does not send any metadata either.   I haven't try Foobar2000 yet.

phred

• Global Moderator
You're using a version of MB that's more than three years old. There have been many, many bug fixes and improvements to MB in that time and whatever is going on, may have already been addressed. But before anyone can try to help you, you should update to the latest version, available from the first forum topic. Or from the websites download page.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

aussie43

@phred

Hi,
I spend considerable time to massage the MB into the shape I wanted, and it works fine for me. I am a happy user.
If I knew that the feature I am after is there in the latest version, I would gladly update.
But the last thing I want is to create a mess in my extensive library for no benefit.

Is it possible to install the latest version as a second copy of MB ?
If not, is it possible to roll back if the latest version messes something up?   (No shortage of examples from the tech world when updates remove features that people like, and do more damage than good.)

Regards
Josef

Edit - I just noticed your post where you say you have the old versions, including mine - 3.3.7491.  
So I will try to back up, patch up and update.
BTW - what is the difference between patch up and update?   Is it something like bug fix vs added features?

Edit 2:  I copied all folders associated with MB into a new location on a different drive.   Later shown as unnecessary.
I downloaded and installed the latest version of MB - 3.5.8698 into a new MusicBee2 folder in C:/Program Files x86.
So now I have two copies of MB, and both seem to work OK.

The bad news - the latest version of MB does not output metadata with the audio, like Android players do.
My brand new DAB/internet/Bluetooth radio shows nothing on it's screen when I play from MB. What a pity.

Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:44:28 AM by aussie43

vincent kars

I wonder if this has anything to do with Musicbee.
If none of the players you have tried, including Microsoft's very own WMP, it looks more like a Windows issue to me.
Maybe some Bluetooth profile is missing (the screen part) but my knowledge of BT on WIn is to limited to advice you properly.

phred

• Global Moderator
I wonder if this has anything to do with Musicbee.
I agree. If the same issue is happening with all music players, it's not an issue with MB. Perhaps reinstall your BT device drivers. Look for a forum or user group for the BT device you're using and see if similar issues are reported.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

aussie43

I can't say categorically that it is a MB issue, but equally you can't say it is not - unless you are familiar with the code.
The fact that the other two players don't do it does not prove anything.
Most people would be listen to music players resident on their PC's either using speakers or headphones, and those devices do not have displays. So the metadata is not required.

On the other hand, many people stream music from their mobile phones to their car info systems, and those have displays, so the mobile phone player apps have to include metadata in the audio stream.
And this is also happening in my case - the radio shows the metadata when I stream from my phone Omnia app.

I also stated earlier that when I use Spotify app - not the web based Spotify - on my PC, and stream the music via BT to the radio, the metadata is there.
So that clears Windows. BTW Windows10 uses AVRCP v. 1.6 which is capable of and responsible for metadata transfer if the application uses this feature.
My USB Bluetooth adaptor is not guilty either - it is a brand new Asus BT500.
So this all points the other way - the Windows players don't do it because it is not deemed necessary.

This could be easily resolved if somebody could ask the MB owner and developer - Steven. He would know.

I think as more people will buy DAB radios that have screen displays, and they have Bluetooth as well, this feature would be welcome.
I have put it into the Wishlist, but I am 80, and there seem to be hundreds of wishes in front of me, I may not live long enough to see it.
Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 04:42:20 AM by aussie43

aussie43

Problem solved - I now use the Chrome-based Plex player to stream to the radio - with metadata.