Author Topic: How to create a cue file to separate several songs in a single file.  (Read 933 times)

hiccup

This is a tool for manually creating cuesheet files using Excel.

download Excel cuesheet creator

- - -

I've created it for the following reason:

I have several recordings of radio shows that are about an hour long and contain many different tracks.
They can e.g. be live recordings of studio performances, hour-long dj-mixes, etc.

Such a file will display in MusicBee as one single track, not allowing to see the different songs or select them.

You could split up the audio file into many, using an audio editor, but that will be quite some work, and if the source file contains lossy audio it could cause issues with gapless playback and/or degradation of the audio quality.

So I wondered if the use of cue files could be a solution.
But since I couldn't find any tool that seemed suited for this purpose (let me know if you know of one), so I created an Excel sheet that can be used for creating such a cuesheet.
(edit, Bee-liever had a good tip for a nice tool)

note 1:it should work with both older and recent versions of Excel, and with recent versions of LibreOffice's Calc.
(it will not work with Google Sheets)

note 2:it is intended for use within MusicBee, not for cd burning purposes.
It may work for that too, but I have not tested it.
For example I noticed that most cue sheets also have 'INDEX 00' for every track, which is used for pre-gap information.
But to be honest it is not clear to me what that does in practice when burning audio CDs using a cuesheet.
So input from users that use this tool to burn audio CDs on that will be welcome.

I'm wondering if this may perhaps also be useful for e.g. audiobooks?
It would make it possible to divide a whole book into chapters.
Or for instrument study purposes. You could divide a song into segments such as 'intro', 'verse', chorus', 'solo' etc. and then easily select or repeat such a part.

- - -

Howto:

Enter the basic album and file details:

Enter the artists and titles per track:
(such tracklists are often available in an accompanying text file or from websites, and can then simply be copied into the sheet)
(make sure you paste it into the sheet as plain unformatted text, per column)

Enter the duration of each track, or its position.
(you can toggle between the two using the green button)

update: you can now also toggle 'Audacity' mode, which uses imported timestamp labels

Note that if you have the track durations available, that can be a starting point, but since those are always rounded to a second, the higher the track number, the larger notable discrepencies in the position will become.
So after having entered the durations it will be good to switch to editing positions and make adjustments there. (using your ears)

When all's good, copy the content that is in the column 'cuesheet', and save it as a text file.

Then rename the text file to the exact same name as the audio file it refers to, and change the extension to .cue

That's it.

After rescanning the audio file in MusicBee you should now have this:

instead of this:

- - -

For Audacity users:

I found that you can export the 'labels' (timestamps) that you have created for an audiotrack.
That proved to be very handy in combination with this cuesheet creator.

The Excel sheet now contains a second tab named 'Audacity label converter'.
It can transform the output of Audacity's timing labels to usable time positions for this sheet.

This is how that works:

In Audacity, mark the startpoints of songs/segments.
(default hotkeys for this are: [Ctrl]+B and [Ctrl]+M)
When done, export/save them.

Open the saved text file, and select and copy its content.

Paste the content in cell B6 of the 'Audacity label converter' tab.

Return to the main tab and select 'Audacity' edit mode.

- - -

embedding a cuesheet in an audio file

It is also possible to embed a cuesheet in an audio file, so you don't need to have a separate accompanying .cue file in the same folder.

(this requires MusicBee v3.6.8884 or up)

- select the audio file and open the Tag Inspector

- follow these steps:

- paste the contents of your cuesheet into the 'tag value' box:

- press 'Update', 'Save'

- rescan the file, and now MusicBee should show all the tracks as described in the cuesheet

Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 11:42:54 AM by hiccup

olazzzzz

Fantastic tool hiccup, thank you very much!
It is unfortunately not working for me, whatever I input on the left side gives me #NAME or #REF errors on the right.
What am I doing wrong?

https://imgur.com/6DDGrTB

olazzzzz

My apologies, I just tried with LibreOffice and it is working perfectly! Probably I have an older Excel version.
Thanks again, fantastic creation!

hiccup

My apologies, I just tried with LibreOffice and it is working perfectly! Probably I have an older Excel version.
Thanks again, fantastic creation!
You are welcome olazzzzz. I was afraid I might be the only one that would be using this.

The sheet uses the 'FILTER' function, which was introduced with Excel 2021. So that's why it won't work on older versions.
I'm a bit surprised that it works in LibreOffice.
That's good to know, and I'll add that info to the start post.

Have fun with it ;-)

olazzzzz

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but alas....also LibreOffice didn't put out a clean CUE List.
It looked at first like it was outputing a correct one (at least compared to my 2016 Excel), but indeed some fields are still displaying errors.
Just FYI in case you want to remove the mention in the post.
Sorry about the misinformation!

hiccup

Sorry about the misinformation!
No problem.
Feedback like this is immeasurable more appreciated than the absence of feedback.
I'll adjust the startpost later.
Do you have a Microsoft account for online use of OneDrive, Outlook, etc.?
If so, you could try the online version of Excel.
It seems to me that that should work fine.

edit:
If that fails also, perhaps I should look into replacing the 'FILTER' function with a combination of some older functions that give the same result.
But figuring that out is going to hurt my brain a bit ;-)
Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:59:00 PM by hiccup

hiccup

@ olazzzzz, could you try this version with LibreOffice and the older Excel version?
Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 01:41:51 PM by hiccup

frankz

New version works nicely for me in Libreoffice.

No joy in Google Sheets (not that anyone asked about Google Sheets).

Now to think of some way I could use this, because it's really cool.  Nice work.

hiccup

New version works nicely for me in Libreoffice.
No joy in Google Sheets (not that anyone asked about Google Sheets).
Now to think of some way I could use this, because it's really cool.  Nice work.
thankz frankz

I had looked at Google Sheets, but the problem is that Google is not really making an effort to be compatible with Excel, so there are many functional differences.
It would probably require me to create a different version of this sheet for Google Sheets, which would not work in Excel.
But I'm not interested or motivated to create and maintain two versions.

olazzzzz

Thanks hiccup for this newer version!
I will be more cautious today with my feedback  :D
Actually, I'm not making it work in LibreOffice 24.2.1.2 - maybe frankz has a different version?
As you can see in the screenshot, the title, track # and artist are all kind of mixed up in the cue list.
https://imgur.com/2CjAfgU

frankz

I haven't updated in a while I guess.  No such problems in Calc 7.3.7.2

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
...I couldn't find any tool that seemed suited for this purpose (let me know if you know of one)...
I've used this one in the past.
It's no longer maintained but still quite reliable.
https://www.ben-thomas.org/2013/03/06/music-cue-sheet-generator-for-mixes/
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

...I couldn't find any tool that seemed suited for this purpose (let me know if you know of one)...
I've used this one in the past.
It's no longer maintained but still quite reliable.
https://www.ben-thomas.org/2013/03/06/music-cue-sheet-generator-for-mixes/
Thanks, that seems like a nice tool for this purpose indeed.
And you can probably get results much faster than with my Excel sheet and a separate music player.
A drawback of it (far as I can see) is that you can not save 'a work in progress'. I have some long mixes containing many different tracks that I usually don't get to finish in one session.
With the Excel tool you can just save it and open it again anytime later.
And I don't think you can paste the durations of the tracks into it. (if you have those available)
But for many situations this 'Music Cue Sheet Generator – For Mixes' will work much faster and simpler.
Good tip.
Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:03:51 AM by hiccup

hiccup

Actually, I'm not making it work in LibreOffice 24.2.1.2 - maybe frankz has a different version?
As you can see in the screenshot, the title, track # and artist are all kind of mixed up in the cue list.
I just installed LibreOffice 21.2.1.2 portable myself, and the sheet is working perfectly with it.

I notice some oddities in your screenshot:
- the white box behind 'album artist' top left is not a white box anymore in your screenshot
- the tracknumbers are not centered in your screenshot, they are with my sheet
- in your screenshot, both the album artist and the artists are in a red font, and the titles and minutes are in black. They are all blue in my original sheet.

So have you perhaps altered the sheet?
Another thing that comes to mind is how you populated the artists and titles.
Did you copy>paste them directly from a website or another application?
Perhaps they are not plain-text, and contain formatting and/or tabs etc.?
Try entering a couple of tracks manually? Or use 'paste as unformatted text, per column?

And could you let me know if it now works with your (older) version of Excel?
Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:30:16 AM by hiccup

olazzzzz

You're right!
I was indeed copy/pasting from a website. When I input the data manually it does indeed work as expected!
If I copy/past as unformatted text it also works, provided I do it for every column (which is sometimes not quite practical but OK).
This was done with LibreOffice. As for Excel, I cannot say anymore, I made an Open Source revolution on my PC lately and took it all away :D
Thanks again!