Author Topic: messing around with PDF files  (Read 1207 times)

HHM

There is a bug (?)  that attaches any PDF file from a folder with a music file so that when I'm organizing a file (moving it from my Downloads folder to a desired folder via MusicBee's Send To/Move File To Folder function), MusicBee copies ALL PDF files from the source folder AND ALSO FOLDERS from the source that include any PDF file.

And as I have plenty of documents in my Downlods folder, moving only one mp3 results in additional copying dozens of PDFs and a few folders with it.

It's a really annoying thing.

phred

• Global Moderator
This is not a bug. You probably ticked "also move remaining non-media files" which is located at the bottom of the file organizer window.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

HHM

No, I have it unticked.

EDIT: tried with ticking and unticking it again: the problem persists.
Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 01:55:32 PM by HHM

Steven

• Administrator
Like artwork, PDF files in the same folder/ sub-folder are now treated as being linked to music files and will get copied or moved with the music file.
I might make a tweak so that if any music files remain after the move operation it leaves the PDF files in the source folder rather than copied to the destination folder but need to think about that some more.
You can also help yourself by downloading into separate folders rather than putting everything into the same folder

edit:
i have updated it to exclude the downloads and desktop folders from moving/copying pdf files
Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:44:10 AM by Steven

HHM

HHM

And the problem with PDFs came bak - this time it doesn't move separate PDF files from the Download folder, but ALL folders from Download that include any PDF file.

Steven

• Administrator
you will need to let me know the exact steps taken and example filename path from/ to and what path was unexpectedly moved

kokonino

Another bump.

My library consists only of manually organized folders, some of which contain manually organized subfolders. When I use MusicBee to move one music file from folder A to folder B (either by drag-and-drop or by Send to...), every PDF file from every subfolder of folder A is also copied to folder B.

All options under "Preferences" / "Tags (1)" / "artwork" / "default location for added pictures:" are unchecked.

Steven

• Administrator
PDF files are not treated as artwork. Untick "also move remaining non-media files" in the organisation settings

kokonino

I normally have "Library" / "music library" / "auto-organise media files" disabled, which also disables the "Organisation" button. I temporarily enabled "auto-organize" in order to view the organisation settings, and I see that "also move remaining non-media files" is already unticked.

Fazer

edit:
i have updated it to exclude the downloads and desktop folders from moving/copying pdf files

Hi Steven,

I am using a different downloads folder than the standard one. All my files are in a single Computer folder called "1) All," which contains "1) Downloads" and "2) Music". When I open "1) All" in any software, it consistently shows the downloads folder right above the music folder. I would like to maintain this structure without the issue of moving/copying all PDF files from the source folder. This behavior is never desired in my case. A setting which disables anything other than the selected file to be moved/copied would solve the issue, and I believe it would be more in line with user expectations.

Library > music library > Organisation... > "also move remaining non-media files" is unticked.
Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 11:53:21 PM by Fazer

Steven

• Administrator
I think i was wrong to say PDFs are not treated like artwork for organisation. I will have a look at this on the weekend

Steven

• Administrator
i am still a little bit in 2 minds about this but have now excluded pdf files from being moved unless 'also move non-media files' is ticked
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee36_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Fazer

Thank you, I'm really happy with the change. No more PDF files multiplying across all my genre folders!

I think it makes sense that moving only the selected media file is the default, with an additional setting to "also move non-media files". And if more control is needed, let users define what counts as non-media files.