Author Topic: Prevent Music Explorer from launching from Expanded Album Panel  (Read 187 times)

tobyburton96

Hello,

I have recently tagged my albums with multiple Album Artists, seperated by semicolons, to facilitate the player I use on Android.
I've set up a virtual tag to display it prettier in Musicbee (Burial; Four Tet -> Burial & Four Tet).

I do nearly all of my browsing in the Album Covers view, with a panel popping up to show the album when clicked, as below:

When clicking on the Album Artist spot in the panel (that is actually displaying my formatted virtual tag), the Music Explorer is launched - and searches by the Album Artist tag. I don't mind this behaviour, but it does not work correctly with a multiple value tag. See below for the result of clicking:

This is functionally useless of course! The simplest solution I can see is adding the option to remap that single click behaviour to the same as the middle click one (filter library by Album Artist value), and avoid interacting with Music Explorer all together, which is preferable to me. I don't always even have a mouse plugged in to use a middle click!

As a side question, I can't seem to find the option to search by Album Artist in the right click menu - I swear I've read a forum topic saying it should be there! I would love to be able to do this.

The 'Find Other Artists' option allows me to search by the split Artists value (rather than the 'Display Artist'), but not by Album Artist.

Thank you very much! And thank you to Steven and everyone on this foum for all your hard work, this application is my favourite thing ever!

Toby

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
When clicking on the Album Artist spot in the panel (that is actually displaying my formatted virtual tag), the Music Explorer is launched - and searches by the Album Artist tag.
I don't mind this behaviour, but it does not work correctly with a multiple value tag.
I'm just having a look at the above and trying to comprehend the workings of <album artist> in MusicBee and my head is spinning.
In several locations, that tag is treated/advertised as a singular tag (what I've read and understood to be its correct form according to forum posts),
and in others, it's treated/advertised as a multi-value tag (Thumbnail Browser, Tag Inspector, etc.). Which is which...

Back on topic:
I myself would vote that it defaults to the Music Explorer page of the first <album artist> value.
This is how the (multivalue) <artist> click currently works on the Track Info panel when set to point to the Music Explorer.

I can't seem to find the option to search by Album Artist in the right click menu - I swear I've read a forum topic saying it should be there! I would love to be able to do this.
It's currently not supported by the looks of it, but I see we are already in the wishlist board,
so I guess this has already been raised in the appropriate section for further discussion/consideration.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

Steven

• Administrator
for the next v3.6 update, the first artist is used when opening the music explorer

hiccup

I'm just having a look at the above and trying to comprehend the workings of <album artist> in MusicBee and my head is spinning.
My four cents:

Album Artist is a concept to contain exactly what is on the cover of an album.
To me, Album Artist is something that is similar to Display Artist.
So it should be single-value by design. And used as such.

But MusicBee allows Album Artist to be used as a multi-function tag. (that was probably requested by someone in the distant past, and fulfilled)
If people want to have and add separate album artists for a release, they should be using an Album Artists tag for that. (a multi-value tag)

As far as this is related to Music Explorer (which I don't use much), I am guessing it should then be querying the Album Artists tag for content first, and then the Album Artist tag. (or both)

But for increasing the chances that people will be using Album Artist/Artists properly, MusicBee should have a proper Album Artists tag available by default to begin with.
But that is probably not going to happen.

tobyburton96

My four cents:

Album Artist is a concept to contain exactly what is on the cover of an album.
To me, Album Artist is something that is similar to Display Artist.
So it should be single-value by design. And used as such.

But MusicBee allows Album Artist to be used as a multi-function tag. (that was probably requested by someone in the distant past, and fulfilled)
If people want to have and add separate album artists for a release, they should be using an Album Artists tag for that. (a multi-value tag)

As far as this is related to Music Explorer (which I don't use much), I am guessing it should then be querying the Album Artists tag for content first, and then the Album Artist tag. (or both)

But for increasing the chances that people will be using Album Artist/Artists properly, MusicBee should have a proper Album Artists tag available by default to begin with.
But that is probably not going to happen.

I see your principle - unfortunately, with tagging, a lot of the time it's about adapting to the lowest common denominator/quirks of the application you use. At the end of the day I just want my albums to appear on the right artist's pages in my Android application.

tobyburton96

for the next v3.6 update, the first artist is used when opening the music explorer

Thank you for the fix Steven, it should do the job. Any thoughts on adding album artist to the right click search menu?