Author Topic: How do I get MusicBee to output Useful Debugging Information?  (Read 5701 times)

zBeeble

How do I get MusicBee to output useful debugging information?

My problem is this.  I have a large library.  Somewhere between 40k and 60k files and about 505 Gigabytes of files.  I even know that some of these files are bad.  I have been dealing with all the files that MusicBee flags as bad.  Now I am down to one line of output from MusicBee:

6/15/2016 9:31:07 PM - Unable to scan folder 'Y:\Audio\cds\'
6/15/2016 9:31:35 PM - Unable to scan folder 'Y:\Audio\cds\'
6/15/2016 9:33:26 PM - Unable to scan folder 'Y:\Audio\cds\'
6/15/2016 9:34:54 PM - refresh library failed: Thread was being aborted.
6/15/2016 9:37:59 PM - Unable to scan folder 'Y:\Audio\cds\'

... that is the result of multiple runs.  It just quietly says it can't.  Doubly fun... I've tried unchecking 'cds' and checking everything else in Audio ... and that just results in the same message (I did restart, yes).

It seems to have defied any attempt of debugging.

theta_wave

Ask Steven for a debug build and then check %AppData%\Roaming\MusicBee\ErrorLog.dat

As for your issue, are you sure your Y: drive is up and running?

zBeeble

Ask Steven for a debug build and then check %AppData%\Roaming\MusicBee\ErrorLog.dat
How do I do that?
As for your issue, are you sure your Y: drive is up and running?
I'm positive there.  MusicBee (on the status line) talks about seeing 40k odd files but the result of the scan is only 4700-odd are found.

Steven

• Administrator
are you using the latest patch version from the first forum topic?

zBeeble

Not the most helpful question as the patch topic doesn't give a version.  When I replace my binary with that one, the verstion stays the same.

Anyways... still phails.

zBeeble

One good suggestion in this thread is to ask for a "more debugging" build.  How do I go about that?

phred

• Global Moderator
What version are you using?

One good suggestion in this thread is to ask for a "more debugging" build.  How do I go about that?
If Steven feels a debug version will help, he'll offer one.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

theta_wave

phred speaks the truth.  I don't like tooting my own horn, but here's an example where I asked Steven for a debug version to help solve a bug: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17567.0

The debug version, or rather build, proved to be invaluable in resolving the issue I raised.
Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:11:10 AM by ssri

zBeeble

The help->about calls it 3.0.5995 which is the version I get from the above-referenced "latest" download.

Well... this problem isn't going to solve itself.  I have a pretty good idea the class of problem that's causing this, but the debugging in the stock program is insufficient to narrow it down.  I have roughly 60k files.  I need to know which file is crashing the add files process... then, while a fix would be cool, I could just eliminate that one file for now.

phred

• Global Moderator
The help->about calls it 3.0.5995 which is the version I get from the above-referenced "latest" download.
Steven asked if you were sure you're using the latest -patch- version, which currently is 3.0.6014 and found via my sig or here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18462.0
At the time he asked you the latest patch was 3.0.6011. So you're using a version that's about three weeks old. Steven is releasing patch versions every day or two until the dust settles on 3.0.  So give the latest a try and see if there's any improvement.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

zBeeble

Steven asked if you were sure you're using the latest -patch- version, which currently is 3.0.6014 and found via my sig or here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18462.0
At the time he asked you the latest patch was 3.0.6011. So you're using a version that's about three weeks old. Steven is releasing patch versions every day or two until the dust settles on 3.0.  So give the latest a try and see if there's any improvement.
Despite the fact that what you say is pretty rubbish: unless someone played with the functions that are called to look at files during a scan, it's pretty unlikely to have any effect; I get the knee-jerk reaction to having the latest copy to attempt to weed out people who are sub-par at debugging.

That said, I _did_ download that file.  I _did_ put those binaries into my install directory and ran them.  I _did_ just that again and found your 6014 version.

That newer version finds only 9845 of 60k files and leaves no log lines in the log file.

phred

• Global Moderator
Despite the fact that what you say is pretty rubbish: unless someone played with the functions that are called to look at files during a scan, it's pretty unlikely to have any effect; I get the knee-jerk reaction to having the latest copy to attempt to weed out people who are sub-par at debugging.
What exactly am I saying that you consider rubbish?
Also, I never said the latest patch would fix your problem. But one never knows unless one tries.  It's always best to have tried the latest version, updates, and patches one reporting issues.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

zBeeble

Also, I never said the latest patch would fix your problem. But one never knows unless one tries.  It's always best to have tried the latest version, updates, and patches one reporting issues.

If I'm dealing with software that is (say) a year old... or a major version back and I'm dealing with a complex system with 100's or even 1000's of changes over that time, then it's very valid to say "checkout the new version" ... because the number of changes is just so vast that nobody truely comprehends it anyways and the people who are closest to comprehending it are a year away from the code.

But when we're talking a week or two and a small dev team, this is hardly the case.

Anyways... is there a source tree for this thing?  Can I just suck it into M$ Studio and build it?  I can probably get what I need from that, if it's available.

Pingaware

If I'm dealing with software that is (say) a year old... or a major version back and I'm dealing with a complex system with 100's or even 1000's of changes over that time, then it's very valid to say "checkout the new version" ... because the number of changes is just so vast that nobody truely comprehends it anyways and the people who are closest to comprehending it are a year away from the code.

MB's development cycle is quite different. Bugfixes for any number of things are introduced in every patch, usually daily. I'd say in three weeks, there are probably at least a hundred code changes, covering a massive variety of bugs and features. That's just how Steven works, which is why we always recommend to upgrade before further troubleshooting.

Regardless of the differences in Steven's development and release style, debugging can only easily be done by him. There's no source tree or code available publicly, at Steven's choice. If you want a debug version, change the topic title to something more descriptive of your problem, then post again in it asking for a debug build.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.