Author Topic: floating window questions  (Read 2452 times)

BillH

I had the lyrics showing in the right panel, but was thinking about using the floating window instead.  I see how to change the font size in the right panel and did make it larger for the lyrics.  I can't see how to increase the font size in the floating window.  Is it possible?

Also, if I have the floating window open and then minimize it, is there a way I can easily restore it to its "regular" size?  Having to click on the icon and select the window is OK, but I thought maybe there would be a quicker method like a hot key combination or some other method.

Thanks,
Bill
Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:28:49 AM by BillH

BillH

OK... so I figured out how to open the lyrics for the currently playing song in the floating window by using the Hotkeys setting for View:Show Lyrics in Floating Window.  Using the hotkey and then closing the window answers the second question in my original post.

I still can't figure out how to make the font larger.  I thought maybe View: Lyrics Font Increase would work.  I assigned a hotkey, but when I use it the font actually gets smaller rather than larger.  Should this option allow me to increase the font? Any ideas why it isn't working for me?

Thanks,
Bill
Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:59:02 AM by BillH

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I still can't figure out how to make the font larger.  I thought maybe View: Lyrics Font Increase would work.  I assigned a hotkey, but when I use it the font actually gets smaller rather than larger.  Should this option allow me to increase the font? Any ideas why it isn't working for me?

There seems to be a bug where if the lyrics are shown in the floating window, the lyrics settings don't show up in Layout Preferences. I could work around it by moving the lyrics to, for instance, the right panel and changing the font size setting, then moving back to floating window.

The hotkeys work for me, but will only go one notch up or down, so your issue may be related to that.

I'm going to move this to the Bug Reports forum.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

Thanks psycoadept.  

For me using the hotkey to increase the size actually decreases it one step.  Using the hotkey to decrease the size actually increases it one step.

I also thought maybe using the little - and + boxes in the lower right hand corner of the floating window would allow me to adjust the size, but I have the same problem with the + making the font smaller and the - making the font larger.

I too noticed that in the layout preferences there were no settings for changing the font size for the floating window.

Thanks,
Bill

Steven

• Administrator
i wont fix the bug with setting the font size when docked in the floating window for now, so i suggest you dock it to the main panel and then set the font size.
I cant reproduce the incorrect direction of font sizing but in any case its just temporary and doesnt persist on restart.

edit:
I have fixed a bug were the floating lyrics window opened by a hotkey (as opposed to using the panel arrangement dialog which is what i recommend) doesnt stay open on restart

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:28:28 PM by Steven

BillH

Steven,

I can reproduce the font size going the wrong direction at will.  It happens every time and with any font I chose.  Is there a way I can supply anything to you to help you track down what is happening?

i wont fix the bug with setting the font size when docked in the floating window for now, so i suggest you dock it to the main panel and then set the font size.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying here.   What does it mean to say "the font size when docked in the floating window"?  How would I dock the font size to the main panel?  I'm confused.

As for using the panel arrangement dialog that you recommend using.  I would really like to use the floating window if possible as using the right sidebar with a font large enough for me to read easily takes up so much space in the window.

Thanks,
Bill
Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:22:52 AM by BillH

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying here.   What does it mean to say "the font size when docked in the floating window"?  How would I dock the font size to the main panel?  I'm confused.

He just means put the lyrics window in the main panel, set the font size you want, and then move it back to the floating window.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

BillH

psychoadept,

I'm sorry, I must be really dense.  I still don't understand.

How do I "put the lyrics window in the main panel"?  What is the lyrics window?

How do I "move the lyrics window back to the floating window"?

Thanks,
Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
psychoadept,

I'm sorry, I must be really dense.  I still don't understand.

How do I "put the lyrics window in the main panel"?  What is the lyrics window?

How do I "move the lyrics window back to the floating window"?

Thanks,
Bill

Didn't you have to use the Arrange Panels/Layout Configuration window to get them in the floating window in the first place?  You use the same method, just put them in a sidebar instead of the floating window. As shown here: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee?file=Panels_Configuration.png
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

BillH

Didn't you have to use the Arrange Panels/Layout Configuration window to get them in the floating window in the first place?  You use the same method, just put them in a sidebar instead of the floating window. As shown here: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee?file=Panels_Configuration.png

Thanks for your patience.   :)

I see, you mean put the lyrics in the right sidebar.  I just didn't understand what you meant by the "lyrics window".  

I think I understand now.  I put the lyrics in the right sidebar and then used Arrange Panels > Right Sidebar > Panel Settings to increase the font size of the lyrics in the right sidebar.  Then I brought up the floating window using the hotkey I had set and the floating window now was using the same font size as the right sidebar.

Is this what Steven (and you) were trying to tell me to do? The language of the explanations just threw me a bit.  In any case, I now have a larger font in the floating window which is what I was hoping for.

I'm still thinking there is a bug with the font size getting bigger rather than smaller when using the + or - button in the floating window or using hotkeys (at least for me).  I know Steven can't reproduce the problem, but I think this does need to be fixed at some point for anyone who experiences this problem.

Thanks for all your help.
Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think I understand now.  I put the lyrics in the right sidebar and then used Arrange Panels > Right Sidebar > Panel Settings to increase the font size of the lyrics in the right sidebar.  Then I brought up the floating window using the hotkey I had set and the floating window now was using the same font size as the right sidebar.

Yeah, that's it!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)