Author Topic: Skip Over Song  (Read 6920 times)

neRok

This is a MusicBee plugin to skip all or some of a song when it is played during shuffle.

When the plugin is active, it checks each music file that is to be played for a specific tag (SKIP_OVER_SONG). Depending on the value of the tag, the plugin will skip some or all of the song.

More info: https://github.com/neRok00/mb_SkipOverSong

poum

Hello,
Is there a way (an extension or a function I would have missed) to randomly play the titles of a playlist by playing each song only once?
(maybe by marking or excluding each track from the playlist after it is played)

I listen to my music in random mode (about 40k tracks) and many songs are played several times while others are not.

Thank you

poum

I may have posted too quickly before looking...

I think the "SkipOverSong" plugin does exactly what I'm looking for.
I'll see if the configuration is simple enough for me... ^^

poum

ok, plugin installed, but it will probably take me a while to know if it works.

In Tags(1) I created a custom tag named SKIP_OVER_SONG (position Custom1) to which I assigned the values "true, skip, yes, 1-4".
Then in the plugin configuration I pointed "Custom tag used" to "Custom1"
The Shuffle and AutoDJ boxes are both checked.

Am I right ? I have a doubt about the values assigned to the tag... (true, skip, yes, 1-4)

:)

neRok

The value can just be one of those things  ;D

This plugin will only help you skip over songs with the tag, but it won't add the tag. How are you adding it (you will want it to add automatically, after each song is played)? You will probably need another plugin for auto adding the tag.

But I foresee a problem, whereby eventually it will take forever for the program to find a song to play. Imagine 39,999 of the songs are set to SKIP, and there is only 1 song left to play. MusicBee will just keep randomly selecting songs, and most likely those will be songs to skip. It will take a long time to randomly hit the 1 song left. So this is not a good solution.

Really you want a playlist that deletes each song after it is played. That way only songs still to play are left in the list. I doubt there is a plugin for this though, and I'm not sure if MB even has the API features to enable this by a plugin.

neRok

On a general note about this plugin, when I wrote it, I had only recently switched to MB from Winamp. I used to right click > play folders with Winamp, and initially did that with MB too, which is why this plugin was helpful. But now I have discovered the power of auto playlists, and they can be setup to filter by tags, so now I have a shuffle a playlist with rule "SKIP_OVER_SONG is empty", and I get basically the same effect.

The skip section of song part of this plugin could still be useful, but skipping the end of a song is often more important for me (like when the last track on an album has a 3min song, then 10min silence, then a 3min bonus song). At the time I wrote this plugin, a MB couldn't do that, and I haven't looked to see if MB API has enable that since.

poum

Quote from: neRok
The value can just be one of those things  ;D
ok ::)

Quote from: neRok
you want a playlist that deletes each song after it is played. That way only songs still to play are left in the list.
Exactly, and I'm surprised that it doesn't even exist. I felt this was so useful that I thought I had missed it, not that it wasn't available.
That said, even though I have only used Musicbee for a few years now, I have never seen this function offered by another player (winamp/wmplayer/foobar...) ; So maybe I'm the only one who needs it

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me.

voodoopunk

Hi poum,

You can create an auto playlist with the rule Play count is 0, then when you right click on said playlist and select "Play Shuffled" it will do so and as each song is played it will be removed from the playlist.

Nice and simple, obviously this is of no use to you if you're concerned with your play counts.

poum

Quote from: voodoopunk
You can create an auto playlist with the rule Play count is 0, then when you right click on said playlist and select "Play Shuffled"

I don't care about the number of plays, so I reset them to zero and then did what you suggest, which is to create an automatic playlist of all the tracks with the rule "play count/is/0" and shuffle them.
Now I understand better why neRok was talking about the "power of auto playlists".

That said, does it make a real difference with the handling :
All tracks in a playlist, shuffle the playlist and play the tracks in the resulting order?
I feel like I've drowned in a glass of water by trying to use shuffle...

Thanks a lot for your intervention !

CapHCapH

Hello,

Posted this in other forum, told to post here ,so...

Looking for a way for tracks to jump automatically in time when starting to play.
Installed the "Skip over song" plugin which should do the trick but having difficulties setting it.
As instructed when customizing a tag in "Tags(1)" I enter the name "SKIP_OVER_SONG" in the "dispaly name" field but in instructions there's no reference to setting the next field "Save to music file as tag". Which option to choose there?
In "Plugins" section where the plugin appears, "custom1" is chosen in option "Custom tag used" and there are two other check boxes for "Skip songs when shuffle is on" and when Autodj is on.
No where to enter a time value if that's the right place, I guess not?
In the instruction in the plugin area it says: "You need to define a new tag". What is that all about?
I saw there is a way to enter in edit->settings of each file the needed "time start". I tried it but didn't work for some reason.
Also I need to be able to enter this to many files at once, if possible.
So if someone knows how to achieve auto jumping to a specific time when playing tracks, I'll be happy to hear.
Thanks.

neRok

I can't remember every step required (I don't use my own plugin any more), but it's something like this;

Once you have MB set up (and probably then this plugin too), then you will then find "SKIP_OVER_SONG" on each songs edit page under the "Tags(2)" tab.

I saw there is a way to enter in edit->settings of each file the needed "time start". I tried it but didn't work for some reason
It works for me. Just make sure you enter the time properly (eg end time 4:48.933), and that you have to tick box on to enable the setting.

Also I need to be able to enter this to many files at once, if possible.
Well once you get it set up you should be able to do in bulk in MusicBee, or otherwise use a program like Mp3tag.

So if someone knows how to achieve auto jumping to a specific time when playing tracks, I'll be happy to hear.
You could always edit the files to remove the unwanted section(s).

CapHCapH

Hey, neRok, just saw your post.
Wasn't expecting a response, actually, after all this time so a very pleasant surprise :)
Thanks!

To the matter in hand, I executed all your instructions but in the last step, after entering a time stamp in Tags(2) in 'Edit',
Nothing happens.
Used these formats to enter a skip to one minute in the song:
1:00.000
0:01:00
0:01:00.000

but when playing it doesn't skip.

as for the Settings in Edit, in Start Time field, I can enter a value for each individua song and it works but when choosing multiple songs, in the Start Time field  it says "[Empty]" and I can't enter a time stamp.
I also need to check again how it can be done in Mp3Tag, seems I don't see a way for that in there now...

Any thoughts?

boroda

To the matter in hand, I executed all your instructions but in the last step, after entering a time stamp in Tags(2) in 'Edit',
Nothing happens.
Used these formats to enter a skip to one minute in the song:
1:00.000
0:01:00
0:01:00.000

but when playing it doesn't skip.

i never used this plugin, but try to enter simply 00:01 for 1 min.

as for the Settings in Edit, in Start Time field, I can enter a value for each individua song and it works but when choosing multiple songs, in the Start Time field  it says "[Empty]" and I can't enter a time stamp.
I also need to check again how it can be done in Mp3Tag, seems I don't see a way for that in there now...

start/end time is stored in MB database only. you can't edit these MB track settings in Mp3Tag.

CapHCapH

Thanks, Boroda, I did try your suggestion but still nothing.
The formats I mentioned are taken from the official help of the Skip Over plugin.

So, is that the case that entering a "Start Time" value in Edit-Settings is only possible for one track at a time,
no one entry for multiple tracks at once possible?
Anyone knows?

boroda

So, is that the case that entering a "Start Time" value in Edit-Settings is only possible for one track at a time,
no one entry for multiple tracks at once possible?

never used these settings earlier, but have tried right now, and it seems that it's indeed impossible to change them for several tracks at ones.