Author Topic: Unique song ID thoughts  (Read 4215 times)

lnminente

A song file is composed basically by an audio stream and tags and maybe a pic. The size of that file can be usually from 3 to 14mb, but the tags are a few kb. I wonder if we could create a method for using a unique id which could give us some benefits for a really fast backup of our library.
Also could be very helpfull for synchronizing with portable players, we copy some albums to it, we rate it with our portable player being somewhere and when we come back to the computer we update the rates in only some seconds, pretty helpful in devices like n95 8gb which has a transfer rate of 300kb/seg ...

What do you think people?
What other uses could this have?
What method could be the safest, MD5 and the length of the audio stream maybe?
Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:06:29 PM by lnminente

lnminente

I have noticed there is a Persistent ID when exporting the library to an itunes xml file. What about adding an optional "Unsafe, betatesting but really fast synchronization mode" which would store the persistent ID in the files synchronized and when synchronizing again would:

-Pair files matching the same id
-Check if filenames match, rename if not.
-Check if modified date has changed.
           -If yes, check audio stream size in bytes
                       -If changed copy entire file
                       -If not, copy only the tags
           -If not, check filesize
                       -If changed copy entire file
                       -If not, do nothing
Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:44:54 AM by lnminente

lnminente

More utilities for this:
-Check for duplicate audio streams. Different files because of the tags but same audio stream.
-Check for renamed files while MusicBee not running, maintaining the playcounts and other only database fields.

Gary Young

Old thread, I know. But underrated maybe :)
lnminente pointed me to it here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9470.0

If implemented this would provide powerful syncing/backup functions, I find.

The most recent discussion on that issue you can be found here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9271.0

Anyway, +1 from me, definitely!

Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:40:17 PM by Gary Young

lnminente

Thanks Gary, finally this breaking feature got the attention of someone   ::)