Author Topic: Full regex functionality for virtul tags.  (Read 6308 times)

hiccup

Could you (or somebody else who is already getting this) perhaps give two quick examples of this would look like in real-life?
For example on a <Title> being:
"John ft. Mary (live)"
One example for what the virtual tag would look like if you want to have the output being just: (live)
and another one for what it would look like if you would want to only replace 'ft.' by 'feat.'

For (live), wouldn't the regex be (the terminal $ might be redundant, so it can be omitted)
Code
(^.*)(\([Ll]ive\)$)
Return code
Code
$2

For Foo ft Foo -> Foo (feat. Foo)
Code
(^.*)([Ff]eaturing|[Ff]t\.|Feat\.)(.*$)
Return code
Code
$1\(feat\.$3\)

I am not getting it. Stevens post mentions 'index', you have an entry that you call 'return code', I think I'm on a wrong path here.
Could you perhaps post a screenshot of how this should look in the virtual tag's edit panel?

Steven

• Administrator
Early teething problems with $rxreplace.  The following code variations disappear after hitting save despite MB validating them as "OK".

Code
$RxReplace(<Title>,"(^.*?)(\: )(.*$)",$3)
there are two bugs. The parser should insist $3 is surrounded by quotes and when saving the quoting is not working correctly. Both should be fixed:

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

theta_wave

Could you (or somebody else who is already getting this) perhaps give two quick examples of this would look like in real-life?
For example on a <Title> being:
"John ft. Mary (live)"
One example for what the virtual tag would look like if you want to have the output being just: (live)
and another one for what it would look like if you would want to only replace 'ft.' by 'feat.'
I am not getting it. Stevens post mentions 'index', you have an entry that you call 'return code', I think I'm on a wrong path here.
Could you perhaps post a screenshot of how this should look in the virtual tag's edit panel?
Sorry about the confusion.  You're right, my "return code" is Steven's "replace-text".  Okay, after getting a handle on the formatting, your virtualtags should go something like this:

Title (Live) > (Live)
Code
$RxReplace(<Title>,"(^.*)(\([Ll]ive\))","$2")

Ft. (or Feat.) > feat. (note: you should probably do an if-contains first, like if the <title> contains ft. or Feat., then do below, else <title>)
Code
$RxReplace(<Title>,"(^.*)([Ff]t\.|Feat\.)(.*$)","$1\(feat\.$3\)")
Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:07:21 PM by theta_wave

theta_wave

Early teething problems with $rxreplace.  The following code variations disappear after hitting save despite MB validating them as "OK".

Code
$RxReplace(<Title>,"(^.+?)(\: )(.*$)",$3)
there are two bugs. The parser should insist $3 is surrounded by quotes and when saving the quoting is not working correctly. Both should be fixed:

Ok, it appears to work now, thanks!   :D

I have a quick question regarding the encapsulating quotation marks.  Would they have to be escaped in a regex formula?  Something like this?
Code
$RxReplace(<Title>,"(^.*)(\".*?\")(\:\s)(.*$)","$1\($2\)$3$4")

theta_wave

this has the preview functionality in the template editor:
Wow, the preview functionality is quite nice.  I'll be reporting bugs with the regex function in the bug subforum.  Thanks Steven!

hiccup

Sorry about the confusion.  You're right, my "return code" is Steven's "replace-text".

No problem, that was probably mostly my brain having a hard time getting the first gist of it all, and already going in lock-down mode after reading these (for me) not-to-familiar terms.
I am starting to get it, and getting it to work now. Great!

Steven

• Administrator
for the next update i have enhanced the error handling to show the specific regex parsing error (if any) when clicking the preview button in the template editor

Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:51:07 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
i plan to enhance the virtual tag template editor so you can get a preview, so that should make things a bit better

This is awesome! Loving it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

marlonob

Is it possible to use the content of a <tag> (as a literal string) in the expression? I can’t figure out how.

hiccup

I locked this topic. The wish was fulfilled.
Questions on the working of regex can be asked in the 'Questions' board, or here:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20952.0