Author Topic: MusicBee to open source?  (Read 5000 times)

jeff_s

As far as I can tell, MusicBee is released as closed source freeware.

I'm wondering if it has been considered for release as open source.  This way, others can contribute.  Or are the licenses for the linked libraries/codecs  (Bass, MP3 Gain, etc) restrictive of that?  Or, are there plans for a commercial release (for-pay)?

Steven

• Administrator
no plans to open-source, although i wont rule it out as an option if i decide i no longer want to keep it going myself.
and no plans for a commercial version. I'm do this because on the whole i enjoy doing it

Steven

• Administrator
i'll just add i'm more than happy for people to contribute to this project - there is a basic API for plugins now, i need someone who has web skills to improve the web site as i dont have those skills, creating help documentation, creating skins...
Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:27:50 PM by Steven

jeff_s

I'm going to check out the plugin API.

I'm glad you enjoy it, because you've produced really good work. 

I'm now using MusicBee as my preferred music manager, for managing my music library, for listening to my music library, and for syncing with my Sansa Clip (MTP mode works flawlessly).  MusicBee is fast and efficient, it's full featured, and has a really clean, intuitive, easy, and attractive interface. 

I use MediaMonkey, which is a fantastic music manager/player/syncer, but it's interface is too cluttered for my tastes.  Songbird looks nice and is full featured, but is slower than a snail.  Windows Media Player is fast, looks nice, and syncs my Sansa Clip nicely, but it's library management and tag editing are less than satisfying.  VLC is excellent, but lacks library management and syncing capabilities. 

But MusicBee does it all well.

If I can find the time, I'm going to look into the C# version of the plugin API, and perhaps make an Amazon and/or eMusic plugin.

Steven

• Administrator
keep in mind the API only does basic things at the moment so if there is functionality that you need let me know

Adson

and no plans for a commercial version. I'm do this because on the whole i enjoy doing it

... that's great! I really appreciate your work and your positive attitude.

Thanks a lot for sharing your excellent work with us  :)

A.

netean

for my 2ps worth

I don't give a toss. I love musiicbee, I love the regular updates, I love how responsive Steven is to suggestions and I see musicbee being updated constatntly... OPen source software doesn't get the same treatment in my opinion (as mush as I love FOSS) it's slow to develop, it's developed by committee and to get the latest update you have to be a geelk and compile from source.

I'm much rather have a a great mucisbee that ~Steven owns than a mediocre player compiled by consensus.

eg

rhythmbox
banshee
clementines
songbird

all quality players, but slow to update and none of them reponsive to change requests like Steven is.

Don't open source....

and if you get a chance to license it to some copmpany... go ahead.. make some money.. you work your arse off on this.

Craig_123

i'll just add i'm more than happy for people to contribute to this project - there is a basic API for plugins now, i need someone who has web skills to improve the web site as i dont have those skills, creating help documentation, creating skins...

1st like most here - brilliant product - well done

2nd re website etc: Why don't you add a blurb requesting help on your current website front page and a create a forum header. You could offer a link at the bottom of the page to the web developer. I am sure you must get a ton of traffic so it would be decent advertising for any web developer trying to build their profile.

All you need to do is create a spec of what you are after and put it up - as I said maybe a forum header would be a good way of generating user input.

Just a thought anyway.

Lorthirk

As I already told you before, I have some web skills and I'd like to contribute to this great project (honestly, way better of a lot of commercial players). Feel free to contact me whenever you like :)

allforcarrie

I use MediaMonkey, which is a fantastic music manager/player/syncer, but it's interface is too cluttered for my tastes.  Songbird looks nice and is full featured, but is slower than a snail.  Windows Media Player is fast, looks nice, and syncs my Sansa Clip nicely, but it's library management and tag editing are less than satisfying.  VLC is excellent, but lacks library management and syncing capabilities. 

But MusicBee does it all well.

Well said!!!!!!