Author Topic: MusicBee freezes/hangs when renaming a file  (Read 4052 times)

MrPlow

MusicBee Version: 3.0.6132 (this is a clean install without any 3rd party skins/plugins installed, with one exception: I have the UPnP/DLNA plugin, but I don't think it's a factor since my problem happens regardless of whether I'm playing music locally or not playing music at all).

MusicBee freezes/hangs (application is indefinitely unresponsive, so I have to force-close it and re-start it) when I attempt to rename an individual file using MusicBee's Tag Editor interface. This doesn't happen every time - I'd estimate that it occurs about 25% of the time when I attempt to rename a file within MusicBee - it happens often enough to be VERY annoying. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but the files are within folders that MusicBee is continuously monitoring.

Here's how to reproduce the failure (though like I said, it only happens about 25% of the time):
1. Right-click on a music track in the main panel and choose Edit.
2. In the Tag Editor (mine opens pinned to the bottom by default), do either of the file-renaming methods below (both cause the failure for me):
2A: In the Tag Editor's "Properties" tab, modify the filename displayed in the "location" field (I'm only changing the name of the file; I'm NOT changing the file extension nor the file location).
2B (if not doing method 2A, above): In the Tag Editor's little drop-down menu (top right), click 'Rename File'. In the 'File Organiser' pop-up window, click "Proceed" with only the naming template checkbox (not the "move" checkbox) activated.
3. Now, attempt to save it by either clicking the Save icon, OR, by clicking away on a different track and answering "yes" to the 'do you want to save the changes' pop-up: MusicBee freezes/hangs/becomes-unresponsive indefinitely (I have to tell Windows to manually terminate it), and the file is never renamed.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time!
Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:57:43 PM by MrPlow

phred

• Global Moderator
Please confirm that the track you're trying to edit isn't playing while your editing.

And check the Error Log (help > support > view error log) and see if there are some lines near the bottom of the log that are from the time the error/hang occurs. If so, copy the relevant lines and paste them here. Please don't copy the entire log.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MrPlow

Thanks for the reply. I can confirm that the track is NOT playing while I'm attempting to rename it. Also, when I attempt to open the error log (via help > support > view error log), I just get an "Information" pop-up window that says "No errors have been logged" (with an OK button).

MrPlow

BTW, your "file not playing while editing" question got me thinking, so I tried this just now and it froze on me again by doing this:

1. Play a file. While it's playing, I opened the Tag Editor, changed the song tag's Title (not the filename) and clicked the save icon - so far so good, the tag appears to save successfully while the file is playing (modifying the tag has never been a problem for me, just renaming the filename).
2. I then stopped playback by clicking the pause icon. (side question: at this point, does this count as no longer playing the file? I'm wondering if playback is still technically in progress at this point until you click away onto a different track (otherwise is the file still open w/ playback in progress?)?...).
3. In the Tag Editor (still visible at the bottom of the screen, with the formerly playing file's info still visible in the frame), rename the file as described step 2A and step 3 of my original post, and the freeze occurred.

phred

• Global Moderator
1. A tag changed while a track is playing is not saved to the file until the file is stopped - not paused, but stopped. Yes, the tag editor shows the new change while the track is playing, but it's not saved to disc.

2. No - when pausing the track, it's still open in memory. And as you put it, it is still technically still playing.
2b. Pointer: you can hold down the shift key and mouse-down on the pause icon and playback will stop. Not pause, but stop.

3. Yes, this is an odd one. Perhaps someone else will have an idea/suggestion. Otherwise you'll have to wait until Steven (the developer) can take a look at it.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

To me it sounds like possibly another application or process is using and locking the files, preventing them to be changed.

Are there any suspects in play here you could think of?
iTunes, antivirus software, etc.?
Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:09:09 PM by hiccup

MrPlow

Thanks for your help guys! (And thanks, phred, for the tip on how to actually stop (vs. pause) playback - I hadn't figured out how to do that.) I'm starting to think that every freeze has been in the case when the file playback is actually paused (so the file is still open - if that's the case, then that makes perfect sense that a rename shouldn't be done when the file is still open).  If that's the case, then I'm thinking that this 'bug' is that MusicBee shouldn't attempt a file rename when MusicBee has the file open (i.e., prevent the error condition, rather than just freezing from it). For example, if a user tries to rename a file that's open (currently playing or just paused), then MusicBee should either (a) first automatically close the file (force fully stopping playback), or (b) should refuse to implement the rename/save, paired with a notification telling the user to first stop playback.

I'll keep messing around with it (I have a LOT of file renaming to do...), being conscious about ensuring that playback is fully stopped before renaming, and I'll look for any freezes that occur under that condition.  Thanks!

hiccup

Slightly off-topic, but this nourishes my aversion to having no stop button.
(and definitely off-topic: how the play and previous buttons are functioning)

phred

• Global Moderator
Since I always forget that one can shift-click the pause button to stop playback, I simply added a toolbar button for stopping playback.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MrPlow

UPDATE:

Alright, I just finished renaming 2000+ files using MusicBug (both individually and in small batches). Each time, I ensured that playback was fully stopped (not paused) before renaming - I'm happy to report that I didn't experience a single freeze/hang.  :D

I took phred's advice/tip on adding a toolbar button for stopping playback - that worked well, though I second hiccup's sentiment that MusicBug could improve by having a stop button as part of the native interface.

Thanks again guys!

hiccup

using MusicBug

Though that's kinda funny, I really hope it is an unintentional typo...
Good to hear you have it all under control now.

MrPlow

LOL, whoops! Yes, "MusicBug" was an unintentional typo.  

But seriously, I was trying-out MusicBee on a whim to see what it has to offer (I've been a long-time JRiver Media Center user) - MusicBee has totally exceeded my expectations. The customization/features/functionality are really great (that's why I was especially bummed to have it hang/freeze on me numerous times upon file rename, but I can thankfully avoid that now). Now I'm on the verge of permanently ditching JRiver for MusicBee.   :D

Steven

• Administrator