Author Topic: Rating an unrated track and clicking 'back' seems to frequently cause an error  (Read 1168 times)

Throne3d

Summary
I updated to a more recent version today, using the 'latest patch' thread here. When rating a track and pressing the 'previous' button to go to an earlier track, I often receive an error message.

MusicBee "Version: 3.0.6190" (from 'Help > About')

I'm not sure that this issue was not present before I updated – it's possible it's not a new bug – but I at least didn't notice it before I upgraded. I was not on the second most-recent version, but I don't recall the precise version number I was on before. (The version will have been more recent than September.)
I can't see a relevant topic title in the first few pages of this subsection, so it doesn't seem to be currently reported, at least.

Error messages
The error message seems to be one of the following, though I can't find a pattern to it:
The source file for track 'Kiss It All Better' could not be found
(Replace 'Kiss It All Better' with whatever track I just rated and pressed 'back' on.)
Unable to open file 'X:\Music\MusicBee\Music\Grouplove\Never Trust A Happy Song\1-10 Love Will Save Your Soul.mp3' for writing - ensure no other application already has it open.
(Again, this is one specific path it gave. As it has occurred quite frequently, there have been quite a few of these messages with different tracks. Not all the tracks are in the 'Grouplove' folder, but they should all be within the 'X:\Music\MusicBee\Music' path.)

Steps to reproduce
  • Create a queue of unrated tracks
  • Play one of these tracks
  • Rate it
  • Press the 'previous button'
  • Reasonably frequently, I receive one of the above error messages from this. (It does not occur all of the time.)
Further details (attempts to find a more specific pattern or to make a 100%-reproducible scenario failed)
It does not seem to be occurring on tracks I've already rated. It does not occur all the time, and I can't seem to track down the pattern, but it's occurred quite a few times in a row today. It does not seem to occur while pressing the 'forward' button.

The 'X' drive mentioned is on my primary hard-drive, same as my 'C' drive is on, and is just a separate media partition. I am reasonably sure no other application already has the track open, as I don't have any other media players active.

With the first error message, it leaves me on whatever track I just rated and pauses the song at the start of the track while displaying the error prompt. With the second error message, it seems to restart the track but the track replays. Either way, it does not clear the rating, and repeating the 'back' action mostly (see next paragraph) does not seem to trigger the error again. (Clicking 'Retry' on the second error type, 'Unable to open file …', provides no further error.)

I have been able to make it occur once when there is no previous track to play, so it is not necessary to have a history. I selected a specific track in the queue to play (with shuffle enabled), pressed back, and it caused the 'Unable to open … for writing' error. When I clicked 'retry' and pressed back again, it caused the same error again, and after clicking 'retry' and then back a third time, it did not error, and it stopped playback as it normally would if you press 'back' on the first track, i.e. leaves the first track in the detail bar but halts playback at the beginning and disables the 'back' button.

(Context: I made a queue of unrated tracks prior to upgrading MusicBee and had been going through them, rating them. After upgrading, by copying the files from the small patch in the 'Latest Patch Version' thread, I sometimes listened to a few tracks in a row without rating them, then went back through them to rate them, which caused me to notice the error message repeatedly. I have mostly been deleting tracks from the queue as I rate them, but not all the time. It does not seem to have affected whether the bug occurs or not. I tried using the 'full release' thing from here, installing it over my current version, but this does not seem to have affected anything. The MusicBee installation is located at: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee'. I have not yet tried reinstalling.)
Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:36:28 PM by Throne3d

Steven

• Administrator
thanks for the detailed description. I cant reproduce the error so could you send me a link to a zip of your settings file (help/support/view settings) and the library settings (MusicBeeLibrarySettings.ini in the root music/MusicBee folder).

edit:
if you click the previous button after 20 seconds of playback then MB plays the same song from the start. I am guessing thats whats going on - depending on chance, the file might be re-opened just as MB is attempting to write the rating to the file.
Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:15:04 AM by Steven

Throne3d

I just produced it another time about 40 seconds through a track, so it hasn't disappeared for me overnight, and it's likely I've been pressing the back button only after more than 20 seconds on a track. I tried it three times before 20 seconds and it produced no error, and then once again at about 40 seconds and it did.

It does still seem inconsistent to occur later on, but I've tried it a few times and it hasn't occurred before 20 seconds, yet. I did just make it occur on a track that was already rated, however, so the 'unrated' requirement doesn't seem to be necessary.

I've PMed you my library settings.
Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:08:13 PM by Throne3d