Author Topic: Preferences cleanup-please redo settings & logic for select / highlight playing  (Read 1163 times)

alec.tron

Heya,
poking the preferences, this part should imo really be addressed when the MB preferences are cleaned up / reworked, which was one of the main requests in the 'what to do for future version' thread.

As is I have to decide to either have:
'select playing track'
or
'highlight playing track'
whereas I would prefer to have both at the same time and these 2 should not rule each other out imo.

Also, I am not sure what 'playback follows cursor' does or is meant to do in MusicBee- can anyone explain ?

Tbh, I'm very used to foobar preference behaviour... where it is one setting:
Either
[X] "Cursor Follows Playback"
OR
[ ] "Playback Follows Cursor"

as each is ruling out the other.
Highlighting imo should be a separate setting.

Also, when "Cursor Follows Playback" is on, the selected track ideally should appear in the center of the screen. In Tracks view, with a random/shuffle setting, the selected track either sits half way readable at the top or the bottom of the list, depending on if the random/shuffle jumped up or down in the list.

Just me few cents/opinion how to polish this bit a bit.
c.
Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:39:16 AM by alec.tron

hiccup

Also, I am not sure what 'playback follows cursor' does or is meant to do in MusicBee- can anyone explain ?

Tbh, I'm very used to foobar preference behaviour... where it is one setting:
Either
[X] "Cursor Follows Playback"
OR
[ ] "Playback Follows Cursor"
as they are determining each other.

I think they work identical. If you have selected that option, when you have selected a track in the main panel, and leave it selected, that song will play next.
If you would be able to toggle that function quickly by means of a shortcut, you would probably also need some indicator in view that shows if it is enabled or not. Otherwise you might get confused and get unexpected plays very easily.

alec.tron

Yea, that's what I thought as well - but despite switching on 'playback follows cursor' to see what it does, and having a track selected, MB played another multiple times.
Might be my random/shuffle settings override the pref setting to 'playback follows cursor' in that case...?

As for the Toolbar button idea from the other thread - 2 state/toggle buttons (2 icons per button...) would be ideal, yes.
Although - for me personally - I would make do with a no-gui feedback button for the pref setting toggle as well (I just test with FWD / Backwards quickly if necessary, just as I do now when I toggle it with the setting burried in the preferences GUI).
c.