Author Topic: Potential Tag Rating Issue  (Read 3988 times)

nypd

Hello,

I'm running into a strange and really specific star rating issue.

Some background Info:

What I'm trying real hard to accomplish is to be able to sync star ratings between my phone using the GoneMad Music Player and my Musicbee client on my desktop. I am using the application syncthing to sync music files back and forth. So what I would like to do is be able to listen and rate music at work, and when I get home, have my phone automatically update the mp3's in my music library. And vice versa. That part I have working great, any changes I make in MusicBee gets reflected on my phone, and any change I make on my phone get reflect on MusicBee.

The Potential Issue

It seems MusicBee and GoneMad do not agree on how 2 and 4 star ratings should be written. So for example, If I rate a song in GoneMad with 2 stars it gets synced to my desktop, but MusicBee then reads the rating as 1.5 stars. Same thing happens with 4 stars which then MusicBee reads as 4.5 stars.

Now it seems like MusicBee writes that star rating to the "popularimeter" tag.

A 2 star rating in MusicBee gets written as: "MusicBee|64|0"
A 2 star rating in GoneMad gets written as: "GMAE|86|0"

A 4 star rating in MusicBee gets written as: "MusicBee|196|0"
A 4 star rating in GoneMad gets written as: "GMAE|223|0"

Here are Mp3Tag screenshots of the exact same file, but different music application writing the  tags:

MusicBee

GoneMad

Now the strange thing is the GoneMad player reads both the MusicBee ratings and its own ratings perfectly. 1/2/3/4/5 star ratings show up as expected. However I can only get 1/3/5 star rating songs to show up in MusicBee correctly.

Conclusion / Question:

I guess my question is if MusicBee is handling this "popularimeter" tag correctly? I have been doing lots of test and trying our various versions of MusicBee: 2.4, 2.5, 3.0 but they all behave the same way.

I also have been talking to the GoneMad developer in this thread: http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com/thread/801/beta-saving-ratings-potential-issue?page=1. In that thread you can see a lot more examples and images of me trying to figure this out.

I'm willing to test stuff, just let me know.

Thanks

Steven

• Administrator
There is no ID3 standard for the values used for a rating. MusicBee uses the same scale as used by Windows Media Player/ Windows Explorer/ and MediaMonkey. Its not something i would change.
You would have to ask the GoneMad developer the reasoning for the scale used by that application.

theta_wave

MusicBee uses the same scale as used by Windows Media Player/ Windows Explorer/ and MediaMonkey
and foobar2k.... ;)

nypd

Ah alright. A shame the scale does not simply go from 1-5 lol.

Thanks for the responses, I'll post here If I get any further.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
There is no ID3 standard for the values used for a rating.

Technically there is for one part, but everyone ignores it.
Ratings start at 1 not 0
Rating = 0 means rating is unknown
0 rating is not equal to being banned
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

nypd

As a quick update, GMMP has been updates to beta 5: http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/2016/09/beta-5.html

Adjusted saved value for id3 rating tag to match what MusicBee writes

This has resolved my issue!

theta_wave

This has resolved my issue!
Thanks for raising this issue with the GMMP devs.  Even though I'm a PowerAMP user myself (wavering though since it doesn't support the rating scheme discussed above), I'm sure there are others here who use GMMP that appreciate your report.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I just saw that update. Thanks!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)