Author Topic: Various questions for the wiki  (Read 14351 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Okay, I assume that the genre suggestions in the suggested genres dialog come from last.fm, but where does the keywords field get its automatically imported values?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks!

How are keywords saved in tags?  I can't see them in the Tag Inspector.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Oh, okay.  Any particular reason?  I would prefer to have mine saved, but I suppose I can use another tag for it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
i guess there was a reason a long time ago but i dont remember exactly - if its important to you then it should go on the wishlist

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm now at work on documenting the main program menus.

1.  Can someone explain the effect and use of "reset artwork cache"?  I mean, I basically get the idea, I just want to be clear on what it would be used for.

2.  Can I get a clarification of "Remap Music Folders"?  When I run it, it shows the current folder as C:\Users\, but my library folder is C:\Users\HP\MusicBee\Library\, and all my audio files are also within the MusicBee folder, so I'm not sure why it gives Users as the base folder.

3.  Details on "Activate Auto-Shutdown"?  I would rather not test this one...
Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:47:33 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zak

• Global Moderator
3.  Details on "Activate Auto-Shutdown"?  I would rather not test this one...
You can test this yourself. It won't do anything straight away and the dialog box makes it clear what the options are.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can test this yourself. It won't do anything straight away and the dialog box makes it clear what the options are.

Thanks for the heads up.

Next question:

4. What does the "synchronize tags" command do, exactly?
Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:18:02 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
2.  Can I get a clarification of "Remap Music Folders"?  When I run it, it shows the current folder as C:\Users\, but my library folder is C:\Users\HP\MusicBee\Library\, and all my audio files are also within the MusicBee folder, so I'm not sure why it gives Users as the base folder.

Anybody?  I'm now trying to finish the Restore portion of the backup & restore page, and explaining Remap Folders would be a helpful for that.

Edit: Also, if anybody cares to fine-tune my instructions, feel free: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore

Bit hard to test on the fly.
Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:08:41 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

That's for batch rewriting of file paths in case you moved music files outside of MB. So you could replace an old base path (C:\Music\Music Files) with a new one (D:\Music Files) for all of your music files.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's for batch rewriting of file paths in case you moved music files outside of MB. So you could replace an old base path (C:\Music\Music Files) with a new one (D:\Music Files) for all of your music files.

Right, that's my understanding.  Do you have any idea what's going on in the example I gave?  Because it would really need to replace C:\Users\HP\, not just C:\Users\  Nevermind, I realized it's moot because you can edit the source folder yourself.
Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:24:41 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Yes, the user has to input both parts either by typing or selecting a folder since MB would have no idea what part of the paths have changed.

redwing

4. What does the "synchronize tags" command do, exactly?

As long as you still have the files on the old drive in your old library, if anything is wrong with the scanned files on the new drive, you can use a new function in MB:
Tools/ Tagging Tools/ Advanced/ Synchronise Tags on the problem files from the old drive.
its rewrites tags to files based on whats in the MB library cache. So it ensures all tags are flushed to the file.

I recommend you only do this for the problem files though - it would take ages to rewrite your entire library and i would recommend you have a full backup