Author Topic: Various questions for the wiki  (Read 14562 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I remember Steven explaining this some months ago, but I haven't been able to find the post by searching.

What settings are carried over between multiple libraries, and which are unique to each library?

(Edited because my original question was redundant!)

Second, how does MusicBee recognize a podcast as a podcast?  I have a podcast that I originally downloaded as separate MP3 files, long ago moved to audiobooks, even put the audiobooks tag on it, and when I scan it into a new library MusicBee still puts it in podcasts.

Nevermind, figured that one out myself.  I see that there's an iTunes Podcast flag, similar to the Compilation flag.
Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:23:55 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

boroda

Only Prefs/Library settings are stored on per library basis. All other settings are common to MB installation.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you mean Preferences including Library settings, or only Preferences > Library settings?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

boroda

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Okay, thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What is "use UTF-8 for WAVE files" an alternative to?  What happens if you don't check it?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

boroda

Suggest that current Windows code page (single byte encoding) is used if this option is unchecked.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks.  :)  Doesn't mean a thing to me, but I put it in the wiki.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Could someone explain "alert if replaygain adjustment would cause clipping" for the wiki?  And also the effect of "adjust calculated replaygain values" slider, for the uninitiated?

Likewise, a really non-technical explanation of how to use the equalizer would be helpful.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Iasc

lets say you have 16 bits to record information in and during the music suddenly there is a passage that is quite loud and needs 18 bits to represent it. so, when you compress music into mp3 format there is information thrown away

basically clipping is that you have a volume knob that goes from 0 to 10, but you are playing them with the knob turned to 11 or
it's trying to use  more than 100db but 100 db is the max,  this will result in lost information. that lost information can sound really awful or barely noticeable depending on the severity. so it is more or less that sound or information will be lost when using the replay gain or volume leveling.

i may be wrong on this one but when clipping happens and information is thrown away the decisions on what to lose are made by calculations so i think adjust calculated replay gain values slider might be to make changes to that (but don't quote me on that).
Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:34:39 AM by iasc

Iasc

Likewise, a really non-technical explanation of how to use the equalizer would be helpful.

an equalizer allows you to control the audio frequencies of the songs you're playing. the channels on the left side of the equalizer spectrum are the bass frequencies, the channels on the right are for treble, and the channels in the middle control the midrange frequencies. with an equalizer, you are essentially changing the the way the audio playback sounds.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
New questions!

If a track is marked as Full Ban, will it still play if you choose that track specifically?

What does "remember playback position" do?
Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:04:07 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zak

• Global Moderator
What does "remember playback position" do?
If you stop the track midway, the next time you play it playback will resume from where it was stopped. Most useful for podcasts and audio books, I guess.
Bee excellent to each other...