Author Topic: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories  (Read 12962 times)

9cupsoftea

This is probably the biggest release of the year, so I thought I'd start a topic and ask what people think. It seems pretty divisive so far.

Personally I think it's ok, but I was hoping for something a bit more edgy and new, especially after Human After All.

What do you guys think?

lnminente

For me it has been a very good surprise.  While at the beginning didn't liked the commercial campaign for Get lucky, and produced me some kind of rejection seeing many people speaking about it, thought it was something like Susan Boyle singing, it's ok, but people are talking too much about it. But after the boom campaign with the listenings i started liking it. Now listening the album, WOW, I find it so different to what use to be released these days. I like that feeling of having time for enjoying each song, having no stress, its like watching a old movie from the 80. The BPM are unusually slow and the tracks are unusually long, with a mean of more than five and a half minutes. The moog, synthethizer and vocoders produce some magic with those disco samples. Also appreciate the melody is not saturated of sounds, i like a basic rythm with some enriched melody and a nice use of silence in some moments. The songs feel connected listening doing a pleasure listening the full album. I could listen the album a few times using repeat without feeling tired of it.

I think Daft Punk could write a Dogma95 since this album. Yep, i like it a lot :D
Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:14:16 PM by lnminente

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Played it once and didn't like it. Not really my cup of tea though- I didn't really expect to so I probably should keep outta here by rights really
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Maleko12

I enjoyed it after the second listen. The first listen I nearly fell asleep until the final two tracks (albeit, it was late at night). So I listened to it again with more sleep and enjoyed it much more.

Sam29

I like it, but don't love it.

Favorite tracks:
Give Like Back to the Music
Get Lucky

spartan

I have not "got" this group since they came out. Not really sure what the appeal is. I like all kinds of techno and electronic music but I just can't get into their style.

Tried to listen to their new one on Spotify and I just can't get on board. Oh well. More power to those that enjoy it.

six_paths_of_pain

what i can say is that i expected far more then they offered given such a long time of creation of album. had it for two  or three days and deleted it.

lnminente

I liked these covers:

Daft Punk - Within (Grand Piano Cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Y1NHB_FgU

Daft Punk Instant Crush ft Julian Casablancas Acoustic Guitar Cover by Geoff Huskinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirw3C7MG9I

Mattiefcf

I have not "got" this group since they came out. Not really sure what the appeal is. I like all kinds of techno and electronic music but I just can't get into their style.

Agree.  In my case, while I love some techno and all sorts of electronic, I'm also a sucker for funky house/disco.  But Daft Punk are a classic case of "The Emperor's New Clothes" for me.  I like "Around The World" and a couple of other things from the 1st two albums, but the new album just left me bored.  Maybe part of the problem was that there was so much hype around it.