Author Topic: Can't tag files because they're read-only  (Read 23698 times)

9cupsoftea

This probably isn't related to musicbee at all, but I figure someone smarter than me on these forums might be able to help.

Recently whenever I download music to a folder and try to tag them I get a message pop up in musicbee saying that it cannot tag them because they're marked as read-only. When I go and deselect read only from the properties of those files it works fine, but I never had to do this before in years of using musicbee. Now all of a sudden it's happening constantly. I'd like to get it back the way it was.

Is there some way to make anything placed in a folder be automatically readable? Is this something to do with giving musicbee permission to edit read-only files? Have I somehow changed my administrator settings in the computer?

Any help would be much appreciated, I download loads of music from places like bandcamp and soundcloud and having to adjust properties for everything constantly is getting annoying.

boroda

Try to uncheck read-only attribute (if its checked) of the folder where music files are downloaded.

9cupsoftea

Try to uncheck read-only attribute (if its checked) of the folder where music files are downloaded.

Yeah that's what I do now, uncheck the attribute of my music folder. The problem is when I put new files in there (which is often) I have to go and uncheck it again.

Is there any way to keep the folder permanently unchecked, and make anything I put in it automatically uncheck too? (I hope that makes sense!)

Lakrits

Yeah that's what I do now, uncheck the attribute of my music folder. The problem is when I put new files in there (which is often) I have to go and uncheck it again.

Is there any way to keep the folder permanently unchecked, and make anything I put in it automatically uncheck too? (I hope that makes sense!)
You could try the nifty little free-ware program Attribute Changer if the built-in function doesn't work.

/Lakrits
Spikar'u'nte inglish? Föredrar du helt enkelt svenska?

Du hittar svenska språkfiler i den här tråden.
---
Non loqueris lingua Anglorum? Grammaticus fastuosus Oxbrigiae es?

In hoc filum documenta linguae Latinae nancisceris.

Steven

• Administrator
maybe its a setting or even a bug in the browser you are using to download the files.
Also consider checking all the parent folders for read-only (not just the immediate parent)

9cupsoftea

maybe its a setting or even a bug in the browser you are using to download the files.
Also consider checking all the parent folders for read-only (not just the immediate parent)

Yeah I've done that, I go all the way to the drive (I keep my music on a different partition) still just reverts back. I will look into the browser thing though, I didn't even know that was possible!

You could try the nifty little free-ware program Attribute Changer if the built-in function doesn't work.

/Lakrits

Thanks a lot, I'm going to check that out and see if it helps.

9cupsoftea

Steven, you were absolutely right! I isolated it to files I'd downloaded with utorrent, so I quickly tried another torrent client (Deluge) - downloaded the same files and tagged them no problem!

Kinda strange though, I've used torrents loads of times, and I dont remember changing any utorrent settings. Perhaps it was an update... Anyway, thanks for the help.

ma_t14

Archiving/compression programs can cause this as well sometimes. Using 7-zip or Bandizip (my personal favourite) will prevent that from happening (Tested. Probably others will work as well)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I dont remember changing any utorrent settings. Perhaps it was an update...

It was added in utorrent 3.3.  it was one of the security enhancements
bt.read_only_on_complete in Preferences>Advanced. change to "false"
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Penn

That's interesting, they probably changed it to prevent problems caused by people adding / altering metadata when playing downloaded but still-seeding files.