Author Topic: Two seconds of silence...  (Read 11420 times)

Vinyl Wiper

...because silence is golden, and there isn't any way to not crossfade tracks or play them immediately end-to-end!

An option to allow [2 or a variable number of] seconds of silence between tracks would be a nice touch. Most CDs (those that aren't "concept" type albums, anyway) are mastered with at least 2 seconds of digital silence (negative infinity dB) between them, and that pause between tracks gets to sound natural.

Plus, in a mixed playlist, you don't want to be chilling out and then get blurted into the middle of a heavy metal track all the time. Or vice-versa.

Thanks for reading.
-Pete

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Call me stupid but is this not controlled by the ripping process of the CD?
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

deadfraggle

> is this not controlled by the ripping process of the CD?

Funny you should ask, as I was searching for this answer.  Is there an option somewhere in MusicBee to remove the silences at the end of tracks when ripping CDs?

On a related note, we've been ripping CDs to wave format and most of the tracks end up with an audio glitch at the end.

I changed MusicBee to use lame and the glitches are gone, but it still leaves about 2 to 3 seconds at the end of the track I'd like not to be there.  Is there a lame switch I can use?

MeeMeeMee

But of course it is. Some CD ripping software are better than others when handling this. For example, ExactAudioCopy lets you identify gaps and decide how they're handled: Append to previous track, append to end of track (that's what you'd normally do), rip to a different file.
MusicBee 3.5.8516 / Windows 10 (64-bit) / Intel i5-3470 / 8GB RAM
Media on NAS (CIFS share)
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get the latest patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

Vinyl Wiper

Most of my tracks aren't ripped from CD, they're converted from vinyl. I control the fade-in and -out manually, per track. I don't add silence (which is only usually added when burning, not ripping). But I guess the tracks are most similar to a commercial CD rip.

Hmm. Can I call you 'Stupid'? Please?  ;D

Funny you should ask, as I was searching for this answer.  Is there an option somewhere in MusicBee to remove the silences at the end of tracks when ripping CDs?
I can't help you with the ripping, but there's an option to remove silence when playing the tracks - would that help? It's in Preferences|Player|Remove silence at start and end of track. I haven't tried it out yet...

So does anyone else want to be able to add some silence between tracks?

deadfraggle

but there's an option to remove silence when playing the tracks - would that help?

Yes.  It's also a feature of the player we currently use.  It would be nice to have the ability to remove it though, during the CD rip process.  Ripping directly to MP3 saves time, and editing out silence afterwards involves recompression and possible corruption of the tags.  Should I create a new wishlist thread, or is bumping yours enough?

Vinyl Wiper

but there's an option to remove silence when playing the tracks - would that help?

Yes.  It's also a feature of the player we currently use.  It would be nice to have the ability to remove it though, during the CD rip process.  Ripping directly to MP3 saves time, and editing out silence afterwards involves recompression and possible corruption of the tags.  Should I create a new wishlist thread, or is bumping yours enough?
I'm not sure, but I suspect you'd be better off with a separate thread, in case other users are having the same problem. It simplifies discussions! You could cut and paste your earlier comments to create a new thread...

Ed

Being able add 2 seconds of silence to the beginning and end of songs when playing  a playlist would be great!  The fade in fade out feature is not the same as having a clean break between songs.  Not all songs are ripped from CDs, so some do not have silence before or after the song. I know silence can be added either as a seperate silent track between songs or tacked on to each song by editing, of course, but if you are DJing 4 hours of music that's about 80 songs, quite a bit of work either way. Even if the silence could be added by burning to a CD, that would be easier, though not as good a solution.

Can Music bee add a given lenght of silence between songs in a playlist? or any siggestions?
Thanks   

billcairns

I agree that this would be desirable, in fact I would like to see fade out followed by X seconds of silence before the next song starts, as a condition that could be changed during the playing of a list.  I use an editor now to append silence to every track for a dance, but I don't want that to be stored in the music file because I use those files for other purposes (eg playing in the car) so it would be great if the player could provide that on the fly.

TylerMD

I agree. Auto-silence would be great for consistency
Oftentimes I'm playing music away from my computer at casual dance events.
Sometimes that next song just cuts right in on a different leveling and music key. Kills the feel from the last song.

This would help blur those cruddy transitions.

Steven

• Administrator
I have added a setting in the Player preferences to add a silence gap

unzip and replace the existing files:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

WheatThin

Thanks Steven, this is a huge lifesaver for me. I DJ tango events, and being able to regulate the silence between songs is absolutely essentiel. I've been on the hunt for a new player to use for this purpose and with this change MusicBee becomes an option. Will this be included in future versions? Will there be bug fixes? I actually tried to use it last night with WASAPI, and the results were horrible. I need to be able to remove silence between tracks and add about 3 seconds of silence, so that it's consistently the same; with WASAPI, sometimes the silence was removed and sometimes it wasn't, sometimes the silence was added and sometimes it wasn't; and the beginning of each song was cut off. I'll test with Direct Sound tonight but I would love to see more support for this feature.

EDIT: I've been testing it a bit, it seems to work well with Direct Sound, but remove silence does not work at all.  Some songs have 10 seconds of silence at the end and nothing happens.
Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:57:45 PM by WheatThin

Zak

• Global Moderator
Without wanting to open a semantic can of worms, isn't it the DJ's job to play songs in an appropriate order at the appropriate time?
If you know a track has ten seconds of unwanted silence at the end, start playing the next song ten seconds earlier.  :-\
Bee excellent to each other...

WheatThin

Sorry to be blunt, Zak, but that's kind of a dick thing to say. =)

I'd prefer that the program functions as expected, and that checking the box saying to cut the silence will actually cut the silence. I'd also prefer to be able to dance a few songs in a row without having to sit behind the computer all night. That has nothing to do with this forum's subject matter, though, so I'm not sure why we're talking about it.

Steven

• Administrator
i have made some improvements for the silence detection. Previously it would not have been working well for MP3 files when detecting silence at the end of the track - other file formats should have been OK. To get it working properly for MP3 files massively slows down loading the song when the file resides on a network drive. To work around that issue,  ending silence detection is now automatically switched off if an MP3 file resides on a network drive (as opposed to being on the local computer fixed drive).
I dont see how the output mode has anything to do with how well the silence detection works.
I have tested this on a number of files and think it should be working OK but I am not willing to invest time getting it working perfectly so I doubt it will be suitable for your job

unzip and replace the existing musicbee files:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip